this is the Petshop I work at.

vindicatedornot

This is the entryroom at my job. A petshop in a grocery store strip mall.
We sell animals and supplies for animals. My job is to feed the dogs and tend to the reptiles. I also help customers, shelve items, catch fish, catch feeders (crickets, worms, goldfish, mice, etc.), and bathe/prep dogs for home. I tend to sick puppies, and reptiles as well. All of the dogs we get are quarentined for 15 days before they go up front. The dogs you see here are past quarentine, and therefore on the display floor. They are behind glass and only I can bring them out for interested buyers. Everyone must sanatize their hands before touching the dogs. All the dogs are atleast 8 weeks old before being brought here. Me and my boss go to our breeders homes/facilities and give them immunizations ourselves, before them ever coming to the store. We mainly only get small breeds but occasionally we get larger breeds like german shepherds, boxers, and border collies. We do NOT buy from puppy mills.

You can also see the small animals and birds. We have more birds up front and usually have a large parrot. We currently just have a severe macaw up front but he's all attitude =P We're also handfeeding some african greys and cockteils, but they are not on these videos.

These are the reptiles, I had to wait for customers to go away =P
These are my babies :D Most of them are asleep and hiding, so thats why you might not see them.

Afterward is some of our fish. Very beautiful discus, angelfish, and guppies. Many more as well.

More fish, I was interrupted. We have two horseshoe shaped fish rooms. One full of mostly 10 gallons, the other 20g longs. With the occasional HUGE ones lol. 4ft arowana fish, 3 and a half foot pleco's. Big 'ole fontosa, flowerhorns, and oscars. I HATE catching these big fish. They fight and will bite me!

And this is the backroom where we keep our puppies before they go on the display floor. People can put deposits on these dogs but must still wait for out quarentine in order for our health guarentee to be valid.

All dogs are seperated by litters. Some dogs are singled off for being tiny and bullied for food or for being hypoglycemic. I give all these dogs food and water every morning and another girl at night. I tend to all their sicknesses and I syringe feed all the tiny ones and hypos. Again, all of these dogs are atleast 8 weeks old. Tiny dogs are just too small to not be watched. We don't sell these dogs until they are off syringe feeding.

Thanks for looking! Any questions feel free to reply.

I love working at this place. It's a very small but busy buisness. I definately feel like we're the petshop in town.

-Andrea

Nice! I like the large selection of fishes. The doggies kinda make me feel sad though. Not to say they are being mistreated, I just think puppies in cages are sad. But it sounds as though they are well cared for. The quarantine is great. More shops whould do this. Looks like a really fun place to work...I'm envious.

Nice! I like the large selection of fishes. The doggies kinda make me feel sad though. Not to say they are being mistreated, I just think puppies in cages are sad. But it sounds as though they are well cared for. The quarantine is great. More shops whould do this. Looks like a really fun place to work...I'm envious.

I agree it is sad. But this is someone else's buisness. These breeders who breed these particular dogs don't want to sell out of their home and don't have any options. We have contracts to buy their puppies year round. Every now and then we accept puppies from new breeders but only if we are able to keep up with them since birth. (check ups, shots, same food, etc.) We never accept puppies just brought up there by strangers.

The cages are cleaned daily, and after all of my jobs are done I play with the puppies.I always have favorites but I play with different pups each day. Everyone needs a little love :)

Really nice shop, great selection. Wish we had something like that around here. Most of our shops specialize and the ones that don't aren't really worth visiting. See there was a mom and pop pet store here that turned into a local chain. They dominated the marked and drove most of the other shops out of business. The only ones that made it were specialized shops. Well 2 Christmases ago, they had just opened up their 4th store and BAM out of no where they closed all of them over night. Workers showed up for work to find locked doors. No one knows exactly what happened. Being just after Christmas there was a big to do in the paper about all the gift certs that were out there that couldn't be honored now. So yeah now there is a massive void in the pet shops around here.

I must say I'm impressed with how clean your fish tanks are. Kudos to you all for keeping up on them. If you ever want a laugh, stick a couple of cubes of tubefex worms to the side of the parrot fish tank. With their non functioning mouths, it's hilarious watching them try to pic the worms off of the cube. Some seem to get so peeved.

I bet you love your job! I would want to take everything home though!:D:rolleyes: Do you find that you end up adopting a lot of pets that you fall in love with?:D

Really nice shop, great selection.

I must say I'm impressed with how clean your fish tanks are. Kudos to you all for keeping up on them.

thank you so much for saying that. We clean the fish tanks twice a day and water changes up the a$$ >_<

It sucks about the shops over there. But it's true. The only reason we're still around is everything is cheaper than petsmart/petco.

This is a super clean petshop compared to everything around here. All of our animals are in top condition. I'm happy to work here. I can't tell you how many animals I saved their lives. It's a rewarding job. Plus it's like I have a lot of pets :)

I'm trying to convice my boss to let me keep chameleons here. They don't really want 'em because they are kind of hard to sell.

I bet you love your job! I would want to take everything home though!:D:rolleyes: Do you find that you end up adopting a lot of pets that you fall in love with?:D

I adopted a hamster than had become homeless. Her name is ginger. And a chihuahua that was born with One eye. We couldn't sell a defective dog like that. They were going to take her to the spca but I knew they would just put her down. So I took her home. her name is Leila like the cyclops on futurama. I love her to death. My hamster too. She's litterbox trained! I've never seen a littertained hamster :cool:

But yeah, my mom said no more or I'd have a heck of a lot more.

What part of houston is the store at? I know people from Katy / Kingwood / Spring / Cypress / Baytown and basically a little of everywhere else.

If you ever want a laugh, stick a couple of cubes of tubefex worms to the side of the parrot fish tank. With their non functioning mouths, it's hilarious watching them try to pic the worms off of the cube. Some seem to get so peeved.

Would this work with wild parrot fish? Once a month or so i head down to West Palm to snorkel/dive a reef off the beach and there are parrot fish there? What would be the risk of attracting sharks with this?

Would this work with wild parrot fish? Once a month or so i head down to West Palm to snorkel/dive a reef off the beach and there are parrot fish there? What would be the risk of attracting sharks with this?

I hate you >.< I just got scuba certified and I wish I had a place I could go diving once a month that isn't a freshwater hole :rolleyes:

Andrea.

Very beautiful shop, i love how happy the dogs seem when they seen you with the camera :p They seem very happy, and you guys have a huge selection of fish! Very clean shop!

Im just wondering, if you can post pics or videos of your animals, Leila and ginger i think you said.. :)

Thanks, -Levi

I hate you >.< I just got scuba certified and I wish I had a place I could go diving once a month that isn't a freshwater hole :rolleyes:

Well the reef there is only under about 10feet of water, its a rock reef I have only dived it a handful of times. Its really fun to snorkel tho. You should make a trip to the keys sometime, its great down there.

Very beautiful shop, i love how happy the dogs seem when they seen you with the camera :p They seem very happy, and you guys have a huge selection of fish! Very clean shop!

Im just wondering, if you can post pics or videos of your animals, Leila and ginger i think you said.. :)

Yeah sure thing, I have to wait til my boyfriend gets off work so I can steal his camera. I will though, later tonight.

and yeah, ALL the dogs know me :) they love who ever feeds them. But I love on all of them. We sell them all before they get too old. I hate seeing them in the cages for too long.

And thank you all about the shop. It is a very nice place and it's so much fun working there. Only 7 employes haha (only 1 guy!). And I'm the only one not afraid of the reptiles. (except spiders. AHHHH spiders....)

What part of houston is the store at? I know people from Katy / Kingwood / Spring / Cypress / Baytown and basically a little of everywhere else.

Rocky this shop is on scarsdale. I live by the south loop of the beltway. between Baybrooke and Almeda Mall. Kind of close to ellington if you know where that is.

Here is a pic of ginger and leila til I can take a video

0613092052-1.jpg

ginger was a baby when I adopted her. She's huge now! She's really funny too. She runs on her wheel and stops suddenly, then projects off her wheel into her wooden home. I can't ever help but crack up.

leilacutiepic.jpg

0217090810.jpg

and the rest of my pups

-Andrea

Aww Andrea, that lil one eye....just lol. It's got to be torture to not bring them all home. As far as the caged dogs go, I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs being den animals don't mind and actually like the small confines. As long as they get daily exercise it's really not cruel. I'm of the opinion that all dogs should be kennel trained for this very reason. I tell my pit "go to your room!" and she runs to her kennel and waits for me to come close the door. I tried letting her sleep in my bed with me and it just didn't work. She is very restless when not in her kennel at night.

No it wont. Those parrot fish have mouths that function perfectly. If memory serves I believe they even eat coral. :eek:

The parrots that I'm talking about (the ones in Andrea's shop) are hybrid new world cichlids. No one really knows what they are mixed with. The Asian breeders that created them have gone to great lengths to keep the magic combination of species a secret. 2 of the side effects of this hybridization are 2 parrots can not breed together. I forget if it's the male or female that is sterile. And they have deformed mouths that will not close. The fish don't seem to be bothered by this as they use their muscles in their throats to crush/crunch food. You just cant feed them large hard food products.

Back
Top Bottom