Thinking of upgrading enclosure for freddy

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I’ve only had Freddy for 4 months and I already want to upgrade his enclosure. Reason being is he’s currently in a reptibreeze 2x2x4 and the dragon strand enclosures just loook sooooooooo nice. I also hate that his current enclosure doesn’t have drainage so I constantly have to shop vac it and also the screen always has white residue on it no matter how many times I cleaned it, assuming from the water build up. But regardless how would I go about upgrading? I have yet to handle Freddy since I got him and he’s not very friendly. He also doesn’t like sticks so I don’t even see that as an option. But I’d have to get it out somehow… I also would want to use the same branches and everything so I would have to take him out while I move it all over. Thoughts? I think I’m going to save up and maybe shoot for upgrading in feb or March. All depends

I’ve only had Freddy for 4 months and I already want to upgrade his enclosure. Reason being is he’s currently in a reptibreeze 2x2x4 and the dragon strand enclosures just loook sooooooooo nice. I also hate that his current enclosure doesn’t have drainage so I constantly have to shop vac it and also the screen always has white residue on it no matter how many times I cleaned it, assuming from the water build up. But regardless how would I go about upgrading? I have yet to handle Freddy since I got him and he’s not very friendly. He also doesn’t like sticks so I don’t even see that as an option. But I’d have to get it out somehow… I also would want to use the same branches and everything so I would have to take him out while I move it all over. Thoughts? I think I’m going to save up and maybe shoot for upgrading in feb or March. All depends
I really feel your frustration on this. It’s kind of mind boggling to me that for all the reptile hobbyists there are in the US, a variety of arboreal cages with dedicated drainage really don’t exist. Dragon Strand cages are nice, but unless you do a bit of tinkering and drilling, you’ll still have a drainage tray to wet vac every couple of days. The white residue issue (this has happened to my Reptibreeze as well) may very well continue to persist in a Dragon Strand hybrid with a screened front.

Not only am I looking to upgrade my current cham’s cage, I’ll need another cage entirely (and soon) for a second chameleon. I’ve got the same set of requirements you do, for the most part - front and side panels that won’t corrode, and a secure drainage system that won’t leak. I’m considering the following options:

Tamura Designs - I personally keep coming back to these. They’re pricey, but I recently got a quote for custom cage built with all the same features these ones have (plant stands, plant hanging ledges on either side, centered drains in the bottom of the cage, cabinet stands to conceal buckets/foggers/etc. One 2 x 2 x 4 enclosure can be ordered directly from the site. If you’re interested in a 4 x 2 x 4, you‘d have to reach out to the site owner, Dale Tamura for a freight shipping quote (which can get pretty pricey.. And Dale, from what I understand, has been very busy. He can be difficult to get in contact with). The 2 x 2 x 4’s will probably run you about $200 in shipping, but they ship flat.

Zen Habitats - I‘m sure you’ve seen these before! What I like about them is that you can order a 2 x 2 x 4, or TWO 2 x 2 x 4’s without having to ask them to split a 4 x 2 x 4 in half (if you’ll be keeping more than one chameleon). Obvious downsides here are that you again would have to do your own drilling/tinkering to get branch ledges and drainage set up. My fiancé can get aluminum channel easily and on the cheap from his job, but depending on your circumstances, making your own aluminum ledges may require a trip to the hardware store. If it’s helpful, I had considered installing these drains in the bottoms of my Zen Habitats (should I go that route), but they’d need to be sealed with water proof/aquarium silicone to be sure they don’t leak. The edges of the cage bottoms would likely need to be sealed as well, which would make disassembling the cages without ripping the interior walls up almost impossible (assuming you would ever need to disassemble the cage). I saw @Klyde O'Scope mention that it may be possible to email Zen Habitats and ask for a bottom screen instead of a solid bottom panel. Zen Habitats does offer free shipping!

Last but not least..

I actually reached out to Toad Ranch recently. Very nice, responsive bunch. They make a beautiful product for terrestrial reptiles. They are actually who I got my custom cage quote from. I think for anyone planning on keeping a chameleon in a Toad Ranch cage, you would need to make several tweaks to the base cage (and some of those tweaks aren‘t features they normally offer, like drainage). Long story short, they will work with you on a custom build, but what I personally needed ended up being very pricey. What really drove up the overall cost was shipping (they ship via freight). I’d love to go with these guys, but not sure that it will be feasible in the end. Just something to consider if you think about reaching out!

I really feel your frustration on this. It’s kind of mind boggling to me that for all the reptile hobbyists there are in the US, a variety of arboreal cages with dedicated drainage really don’t exist.
IANAL. Any time water is involved, there is a potential liability issue (from water damage). If/when people modify enclosures/drainage pans on their own, they take that risk upon themselves.

I actually reached out to Toad Ranch recently. Very nice, responsive bunch.
I just took a look. It struck me funny that there isn't a single photo of a toad on their front page.
I think I see the one you may be looking at:
https://toadranchcages.com/collections/the-crows-nest/products/48x24x48pvcreptileenclosure

IANAL. Any time water is involved, there is a potential liability issue (from water damage). If/when people modify enclosures/drainage pans on their own, they take that risk upon themselves.

I just took a look. It struck me funny that there isn't a single photo of a toad on their front page.
I think I see the one you may be looking at:
https://toadranchcages.com/collections/the-crows-nest/products/48x24x48pvcreptileenclosure
That definitely makes sense.. seems to me the UK offers cages with drain pans that have drainage installed..? I forget the exact name. That’s the UK, though :/ lucky ducks

you know I never noticed Toad Ranch not having any TOADS visible on their website..? 😂
That would be the exact model I was looking at, but with a center divider so I gave TWO 2 x 2 x 4 cages. Also plant hanging ledges, a suspended plant stand on either side, drainage, extra vents, a canopy..

I really feel your frustration on this. It’s kind of mind boggling to me that for all the reptile hobbyists there are in the US, a variety of arboreal cages with dedicated drainage really don’t exist. Dragon Strand cages are nice, but unless you do a bit of tinkering and drilling, you’ll still have a drainage tray to wet vac every couple of days. The white residue issue (this has happened to my Reptibreeze as well) may very well continue to persist in a Dragon Strand hybrid with a screened front.

Not only am I looking to upgrade my current cham’s cage, I’ll need another cage entirely (and soon) for a second chameleon. I’ve got the same set of requirements you do, for the most part - front and side panels that won’t corrode, and a secure drainage system that won’t leak. I’m considering the following options:

Tamura Designs - I personally keep coming back to these. They’re pricey, but I recently got a quote for custom cage built with all the same features these ones have (plant stands, plant hanging ledges on either side, centered drains in the bottom of the cage, cabinet stands to conceal buckets/foggers/etc. One 2 x 2 x 4 enclosure can be ordered directly from the site. If you’re interested in a 4 x 2 x 4, you‘d have to reach out to the site owner, Dale Tamura for a freight shipping quote (which can get pretty pricey.. And Dale, from what I understand, has been very busy. He can be difficult to get in contact with). The 2 x 2 x 4’s will probably run you about $200 in shipping, but they ship flat.

Zen Habitats - I‘m sure you’ve seen these before! What I like about them is that you can order a 2 x 2 x 4, or TWO 2 x 2 x 4’s without having to ask them to split a 4 x 2 x 4 in half (if you’ll be keeping more than one chameleon). Obvious downsides here are that you again would have to do your own drilling/tinkering to get branch ledges and drainage set up. My fiancé can get aluminum channel easily and on the cheap from his job, but depending on your circumstances, making your own aluminum ledges may require a trip to the hardware store. If it’s helpful, I had considered installing these drains in the bottoms of my Zen Habitats (should I go that route), but they’d need to be sealed with water proof/aquarium silicone to be sure they don’t leak. The edges of the cage bottoms would likely need to be sealed as well, which would make disassembling the cages without ripping the interior walls up almost impossible (assuming you would ever need to disassemble the cage). I saw @Klyde O'Scope mention that it may be possible to email Zen Habitats and ask for a bottom screen instead of a solid bottom panel. Zen Habitats does offer free shipping!

Last but not least..

I actually reached out to Toad Ranch recently. Very nice, responsive bunch. They make a beautiful product for terrestrial reptiles. They are actually who I got my custom cage quote from. I think for anyone planning on keeping a chameleon in a Toad Ranch cage, you would need to make several tweaks to the base cage (and some of those tweaks aren‘t features they normally offer, like drainage). Long story short, they will work with you on a custom build, but what I personally needed ended up being very pricey. What really drove up the overall cost was shipping (they ship via freight). I’d love to go with these guys, but not sure that it will be feasible in the end. Just something to consider if you think about reaching out!
Right there with you 😏. I keep coming back k to Tamura designs and trying to get ahold of Dale the past week+ (makes sense you say he's really busy). I've specifically been looking at the 4x2x4 also but was scared to even think what shipping would be 😂🙄

Right there with you 😏. I keep coming back k to Tamura designs and trying to get ahold of Dale the past week+ (makes sense you say he's really busy). I've specifically been looking at the 4x2x4 also but was scared to even think what shipping would be 😂🙄
Hey, don’t get discouraged and keep trying! I do know Dale recently went to a herp show. That could also explain the delay in his response. I totally feel you on shipping :( I’m in CA. For me, two 2 x 2 x 4 enclosures WITH shipping and sales tax came out to $1716.39. Shipping was $208.34, sales tax was $153.22. I had it all calculated in the checkout, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Give it a shot, that way you’ll know exactly how bad it will or will not be 😂

Despite the slow responses from Dale (not knocking him! I know he‘s got a lot going on), I figure if I just buy the cages outright, he‘ll have to get to me eventually ✌🏻

The white residue on the cage is from using water with minerals in it (tap water). You will see it on your new cage as well unless you switch to RO or distilled water.

Hey, don’t get discouraged and keep trying! I do know Dale recently went to a herp show. That could also explain the delay in his response. I totally feel you on shipping :( I’m in CA. For me, two 2 x 2 x 4 enclosures WITH shipping and sales tax came out to $1716.39. Shipping was $208.34, sales tax was $153.22. I had it all calculated in the checkout, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Give it a shot, that way you’ll know exactly how bad it will or will not be 😂

Despite the slow responses from Dale (not knocking him! I know he‘s got a lot going on), I figure if I just buy the cages outright, he‘ll have to get to me eventually ✌🏻
Yeah I live in Florida it's gonna be ROUGH 😂. And I was looking at the big boy 😏. I'll type my info in and see bc im curious. They sure look pretty nice tho ! Wish I was a better DIY person or a carpenter 😂

I know Dale is prepping for a big show this weekend, as I have been trying to get clarification on pricing accessories, but I've only gotten one reply that didn't answer the other questions I had.

Back
Top Bottom