Thinking about getting a chameleon, advice please

Cornholio

Hello! I am very heavily considering getting a chameleon. I saw one a veiled cchameleona pet store last week and instantly fell in love with chameleons. I have researched a lot on these little guys so I have a basic understanding of how to take care of them. My local petco is having a sale next week where all reptiles and reptile stuff is 50% off. The veiled chams there are usually $60 and the cage is $130. Next week they'll of course be half off and the cham and cage together will be $95. Now my whole budget for a chameleon right now is about $300, so it would be really cool to get one plus it's setup for $100. Would it be okay to get a veiled chameleon from Petco, or even Petsmart? They are only $60 there but at the other stores in town they are $120. I'm asking on this site because I was reading through and everyone seemed so nice and knowledgeable. :)

Oh and also, is there anything first time chameleon owners must know? I want to make sure if I get one that it's as content or happy as could be! Thanks for your help! :)

im not going to judge stores that aren't even in my country...

300$ will probably be just enough as a start...

you need:
-1 enclosure
-1 uvb light with fixture
-1 heat lamp with fixture
-x (fake) plants
-x branches
- a hand spray or spray system
- vitamin supplements
- calcium without D3
- small pot of calcium with D3
- food for the cham

and don't buy the cham the same day you buy the enclosure.
first decorate and test run the enclosure for temps and humidity and then buy the cham.

also read a care sheet.

Last edited:
To put it in simple terms, we here don't like those chain pet stores because they breed (pun slightly intended) ignorance on these animals given the fact that they themselves know nothing about most reptiles they sell (more so with chameleons). Taking away demand from these chains is the key here; they are not kept healthily and they spread incorrect information about them.

There are reputable breeders online that sponsor the forums (if you live in the US). If you don't, there are people from all around here that can recommend somewhere to buy a healthy animal from someone who cares about the hobby.

Keep researching is my only suggestion. You learn something new every day. Look up on supplementing and feeding, this is where a lot of people get confused as a first-timer imo.

I agree with the above post. It is expensive as all hell. But if you really want to get into the hobby, it shouldn't bother you.

I was just about to send you the same page as above. There are other topics under research you should read. Do Not listen to pet shoe employees as to what supplies (lighting, basking etc) most are out to make a sale and don't really know what care is really involved. You will learn more on here than anywhere....just be careful as some information can be wrong. Double check.

Yes like Kapitalj said please look at the care sheets to make sure you know all the care it will need. UVB, and supplementations, and gut loading are very important and get overlooked a great deal by new keepers. A cham at a big box pet store where do I begin I myself wouldn't buy one from them, but if you must there are a few things too look out for. Make sure it's legs are nice and straight, make sure he/she doesn't have their eyes closed, make sure their eyes aren't sunk in, make sure they aren't too skinny, make sure they don't have sores on there mouth, make sure they don't have any bumps on them, and it would be advisable too see them eat. needless to say big box stores don't take very good care of their chameleons. If you are going to get into the fascinating hobby that is chameleon keeping it is very rewording, fun, and fascinating, but very expensive $300.00 dollars wouldn't begin to touch the money I have invested too keep my chams happy, and that don't even consider the vet bills. I would also suggest you look for a male being your fist cham they have a lot less issues to worry about such as producing eggs. Good luck, and don't hesitate too ask questions if you need help.

Yes like Kapitalj said please look at the care sheets to make sure you know all the care it will need. UVB, and supplementations, and gut loading are very important and get overlooked a great deal by new keepers. A cham at a big box pet store where do I begin I myself wouldn't buy one from them, but if you must there are a few things too look out for. Make sure it's legs are nice and straight, make sure he/she doesn't have their eyes closed, make sure their eyes aren't sunk in, make sure they aren't too skinny, make sure they don't have sores on there mouth, make sure they don't have any bumps on them, and it would be advisable too see them eat. needless to say big box stores don't take very good care of their chameleons. If you are going to get into the fascinating hobby that is chameleon keeping it is very rewording, fun, and fascinating, but very expensive $300.00 dollars wouldn't begin to touch the money I have invested too keep my chams happy, and that don't even consider the vet bills. I would also suggest you look for a male being your fist cham they have a lot less issues to worry about such as producing eggs. Good luck, and don't hesitate too ask questions if you need help.
Okay! Thank you so so so much!

We did the same thing, went into petco and looked and loved the chameleon. The guy who worked in the reptile dept seemed knowledgeable and even brought out his Ipad and showed us what Panther Chameleons looked like. BUT, instead of instant purchasing, I researched and researched, when I was done, I researched more. I finally bought an enclosure, set it up with everything it needed, Misting system, raindome (serves as dripper for me), lights, branches, pothos, fake leaves, etc. Then I made sure for another month that everything worked properly, I could keep the humidity up. After I saw that was in order, I purchased the Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3, Reptivite vitatmins, gut loading stuff for crickets. THEN instead of purchasing from a box store, like petco, I ordered a Panther Chameleon from a breeder. I spent a ton of money on the set up, then spent money on the chameleon and crickets as feeders. More than I thought I would, but I was prepared. :) so here is my suggestion to you. If you decide to buy from petco, research for a couple of Months, Petco usually has those sales 2-3 times a year. Once you find out all the information and you can handle the time to take care of properly and be stressed out a little bit being a first time owner (Yes, I still do this. I am still new at it and I have had mine since March and he is 9 months old). Go for it. :) They are fun and fun to watch. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

We did the same thing, went into petco and looked and loved the chameleon. The guy who worked in the reptile dept seemed knowledgeable and even brought out his Ipad and showed us what Panther Chameleons looked like. BUT, instead of instant purchasing, I researched and researched, when I was done, I researched more. I finally bought an enclosure, set it up with everything it needed, Misting system, raindome (serves as dripper for me), lights, branches, pothos, fake leaves, etc. Then I made sure for another month that everything worked properly, I could keep the humidity up. After I saw that was in order, I purchased the Calcium with D3, Calcium without D3, Reptivite vitatmins, gut loading stuff for crickets. THEN instead of purchasing from a box store, like petco, I ordered a Panther Chameleon from a breeder. I spent a ton of money on the set up, then spent money on the chameleon and crickets as feeders. More than I thought I would, but I was prepared. :) so here is my suggestion to you. If you decide to buy from petco, research for a couple of Months, Petco usually has those sales 2-3 times a year. Once you find out all the information and you can handle the time to take care of properly and be stressed out a little bit being a first time owner (Yes, I still do this. I am still new at it and I have had mine since March and he is 9 months old). Go for it. :) They are fun and fun to watch. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
That's great advice! Thank you so much!

Chams are very fragile and difficult to care for if you don't have much experience with reptiles. If you have never owned a reptile I recommend a gecko or bearded dragon to start with. They don't really like to be handled so if you are the kind of person that likes to cuddle their animals I recommend you start with a bearded. However it's your choice, I just don't want you to have a problem with your chameleon good luck!!!

Hello! I am very heavily considering getting a chameleon. I saw one a veiled cchameleona pet store last week and instantly fell in love with chameleons. I have researched a lot on these little guys so I have a basic understanding of how to take care of them. My local petco is having a sale next week where all reptiles and reptile stuff is 50% off. The veiled chams there are usually $60 and the cage is $130. Next week they'll of course be half off and the cham and cage together will be $95. Now my whole budget for a chameleon right now is about $300, so it would be really cool to get one plus it's setup for $100. Would it be okay to get a veiled chameleon from Petco, or even Petsmart? They are only $60 there but at the other stores in town they are $120. I'm asking on this site because I was reading through and everyone seemed so nice and knowledgeable. :)

Oh and also, is there anything first time chameleon owners must know? I want to make sure if I get one that it's as content or happy as could be! Thanks for your help! :)
True, chameleons are really cool. However, take a look at the bearded dragons. They are easier to take care of, and much cheaper to purchase and feed. They don't mind being handled. They are a much better choice if you are just getting started with reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom