Thermoregulating?

Throwingstones

Avid Member
I caught this a couple times last week. And now today she’s doing it. Only in basking area. I got a temp gun recently and it’s pretty steady around 95F. I checked her skin and it’s 95 as well. No weird noises or wheezing, no saliva/bubbles. Eating and moving fine. My humidity is actually lower at night than what is recommended due to temps. Urates and everything is good. Always have my PC fans going.

Attachments

• IMG_7855.jpeg
    IMG_7855.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7856.jpeg
    IMG_7856.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 17
Wayyyyy too hot at basking... Should be no hotter than 80 at basking for a female. Max of 85 for a male.
Okay so that’s probably it. Idk why I never got the temp gun sooner. I’ll lower the wattage of the bulb. It was just weird because it’s relatively new thing I’ve been catching. Ambient is usually in the 70s so that’s why I’ve never checked.

What wattage bulb were you using? And what was the distance from the bulb to the cham?
It’s a 60 watt that came with her and her whole setup because I “adopted” her from someone. And I think it’s probably 8-10 inches? It’s the same amount as the top panel of a dragon strand. I will go get a 50 watt and try that. I don’t really have a good way to raise the bulb.

It’s a 60 watt that came with her and her whole setup because I “adopted” her from someone. And I think it’s probably 8-10 inches? It’s the same amount as the top panel of a dragon strand. I will go get a 50 watt and try that. I don’t really have a good way to raise the bulb.
that seems odd... 60 watt regular incandescent should not get that hot. are you using a focused basking bulb instead the kind that have a flatter bottom?

Go buy a gauge with a probe. Hook that probe in at the branch... Let it sit there a good 15 minutes and then see what it is saying the temp is at.

that seems odd... 60 watt regular incandescent should not get that hot. are you using a focused basking bulb instead the kind that have a flatter bottom?

Go buy a gauge with a probe. Hook that probe in at the branch... Let it sit there a good 15 minutes and then see what it is saying the temp is at.
It’s this but 60w. This also came with the set up because the girl was going to switch to this in the winter time. I ended up trying it for my dragon, which wasn’t hot enough for him 😂

Attachments

• IMG_7654.jpeg
    IMG_7654.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 32
It’s this but 60w. This also came with the set up because the girl was going to switch to this in the winter time. I ended up trying it for my dragon, which wasn’t hot enough for him 😂
Ok that is what I use. But I can not get a 95 degree spot at 10 inches with mine. Unless you accidentally put in the 100 watt bulb. Then you could.

Ok that is what I use. But I can not get a 95 degree spot at 10 inches with mine. Unless you accidentally put in the 100 watt bulb. Then you could.
I checked when I was trying to figure out my dragon bulbs and it was still the 60w in the chameleon one. Would having it pointed at that plant make a difference?

I checked when I was trying to figure out my dragon bulbs and it was still the 60w in the chameleon one. Would having it pointed at that plant make a difference?
Unless the cage has very little circulation or the bulb is really close I don't see how a 60 watt could produce a 95 degree temp

Unless the cage has very little circulation or the bulb is really close I don't see how a 60 watt could produce a 95 degree temp
Magic I guess😂 the 100w was only getting the basking spot like 14in down to about low 90s. I’m drowning in bulbs right now to figure everything out with the dragon😂

Magic I guess😂 the 100w was only getting the basking spot like 14in down to about low 90s. I’m drowning in bulbs right now to figure everything out with the dragon😂
I like using lower wattage bulbs at basking because it lets you set your branches higher. If you’re setting your basking branch 14” down to achieve proper temps in a 48” enclosure, you’re losing about 30% of the useable space. With a 7” distance you only lose 15% of the space.

You can use a wider heat dome to disperse the heat across an larger area. I just like the lower wattage gig. Plus I put my heat lamp in the corner that’s surrounded by coroplast sheets so it holds the heat in well.

Back
Top Bottom