Thermal Burn Treatment

reefercheefer

Established Member
I bought a chameleon that came in with a thermal burn that takes up a good amount of his back. I did do some research already but Im looking for second opinions on what to do. I read that most people use Silvadene ointment to treat burns but this burn is already scared over. I dont know how long the burn was there before I got him shipped in. Im just worried that the tissue will fall off and leave him with a huge gouge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

download4234.jpg

While the tissue is intact there isn't much to do but wait. Once the tissue starts to come off (and it will) that's when to start applying the silvadene to protect the fresh exposed tissue from drying up or becoming infected.

While the tissue is intact there isn't much to do but wait. Once the tissue starts to come off (and it will) that's when to start applying the silvadene to protect the fresh exposed tissue from drying up or becoming infected.

thanks for the reply, the tissue falling off is what I read was inevitable but was hoping there was something i could do to prevent. Hopefully this scar is older than i think and that is the worst it gets.

Right. The blackened area is pretty much dead. We don't know if there is any living tissue at the internal core of the burned area but probably not. Chams are not very "thick" along their spines so the burn probably goes all the way through. I was given a rescue melleri with a large burn like this and the dead tissue did peel away over time. It will leave a large area of newly exposed pink tissue. Periodically my vet and I would trim away the necrotic tissue as it separated, flush the exposed area with a sterile rinse (I wish I remembered the specifics...it wasn't just saline but had some other ingredients), applied a layer of Silvidene to prevent secondary infection, and let it heal. It left quite a scar that very SLOWLY recovered some more normal skin coloration.

Its a real shame too because this boy is exactly what i was looking for in a nosy. Im going to pair him up this weekend with a nosy female and hopefully see some blue babies next February to carry on his blood. Eventually his sons will take his place as breeders.

Its a real shame too because this boy is exactly what i was looking for in a nosy. Im going to pair him up this weekend with a nosy female and hopefully see some blue babies next February to carry on his blood. Eventually his sons will take his place as breeders.

Well, a burn shouldn't affect his ability to pass on those traits. He's just going to be a less than perfect looking boy.

Back
Top Bottom