The weirdest thing just happened. (though this does involve my chameleon)

DeFishy

Okay, so just like the title says the weirdest thing just happened. I was settling everyone into bed when my dad-who was with me at the time-suddenly tells me to look at Arda. I do and she's freaked out. Like puffed up, gaping, dark colours, etc. She was looking at something in her cage, I told dad to back away to see if it was him that freaked her out but she was still like that even after he went away. Then as I watched her it looked like something poked her side, like she jerked away from something and hissed. I took her out and she calmed down, but kept looking at the cage. I moved the hermit crabs (that are beside her) and moved her cage over, telling whatever was in there to "Shoo, and to leave her alone". She was still trying to get out when I put her back, but she seemed calmer.

A few things I will note:

-There was NOTHING in her cage visible to the human eye, I looked, my dad looked, ZIP.

-She was not looking at her reflection (the window was behind her, she was looking towards the door (away from the window)

-She is a very gentle cham, the only other time I saw her angry was when she was going through a bad shed.

-She could not see the other chams.

I have my suspicions as to what "it" was, but I dare not say them. Anyone else have similar experiences?

hmmm.......maybe a ghost....like dogs have that 6th sense!!

Or maybe she caught a vibration from a diffrent room in the house and it spooked her.

Do you have other reptile pets in the room/home? Have you checked the cage thoroughly
for tiny ants or a lone mosquito?

There is a subtle vibration coming from my fish tank, it has been bothering her a little, but not to this extreme.

It was my suspicion that there were either some pixies, or a low level spirit in my room as I am sensitive to them, and I have seen a few things tonight that would indicate the presence of something. (small orbs, a will-o-the-whisp brushed past my wall) No, my house isn't haunted, but we have had experiences with the supernatural as they pass through the house on occasion.

None of the other animals were responding to anything, just her. They havn't been bothered by the fish tank either, though they are similarily positioned. She's still freaked out, she's sleeping on the screen which is something she's never done. One thing I will be doing is a cleansing of my room again, and to move her onto something else. Hopefully whatever it is will stop bugging her. This was just an interesting story, I love this stuff. But my cham comes first. No ghostie is allowed to scare her.

ghostbusters.jpg

Probably your aquarium filters impellar is warn, causing vibration and needs replacing.
Sure I read something about chams communication/vibration.....

I only have underwear gnomes in my house.

:D we have sock elves, always stealing one of every pair!

Mhm, its not just the filter, but the protien skimmer. Which is noisy no matter which brand you go with. I might end up moving the tank downstairs, or at least moving Arda so she isn't affected by the vibrations. But its just weird that she's the only one affected, none of the other animals have that problem. Even Bruce, my other cham, and he's right beside it.

hmmm.. very interesting.
:)
I would err with Jackson and perhaps, tomorrow morning inspect the cage for mites, ants, or other pest invisible at a glance in the dark room.

I respect your belief in supernaturals. But, I found it highly improbable for a spirit to bug chameleons.
Chameleon gets super pissy at night is rare but not impossible.
She could be pissed off from an accidental fall.
And, this is anecdotal at best. But, I always suspect chameleon's ability in dreaming (just like dogs). I sometimes saw my chameleon shift his color during sleeping.

Could it be that she's having some sort of nightmare?
I would sway on that probability before considering pixies into the equation.

Hope that helps

Mhm, its not just the filter, but the protien skimmer. Which is noisy no matter which brand you go with. I might end up moving the tank downstairs, or at least moving Arda so she isn't affected by the vibrations. But its just weird that she's the only one affected, none of the other animals have that problem. Even Bruce, my other cham, and he's right beside it.

I was wondering why a filter would bother them. I have my 90 gal not 2 feet from my Melleri cage and about 12 feet from my Veild. This tank has 4 filters turning almost 2000 GPH. The Chams don't seem to notice. A skimmer..well those things are just noisy.

LOL @ pixies

I don't know why either. It doesn't bother anyone else. But something has been bothering her lately, and I've got to rule that noisy contraption out first.

I did double check. Lol. She's still pissed at something, she didn't fall that day, but this morning she did. Wow, I've never seen her so angry. I've checked several times for small critters. There is no logical explanation. lol. THough thanks for respecting my beleifs. I've seen to many strange things happen not to beleive in this stuff. And it makes for an interesting field of study.

I was thinking vibration, perhaps undetectable to us, passing through the floor etc from the aquarium equipment, particularly if parts like impellars in filters become worn. We may not notice, but if chams communicate with inaudible vibrations, they might.

Airborn sound wasnt really a consideration, I listen to music/tv in the same room, well after lights out, never seems to bother him a bit.
Likewise, I dont mean to imply your loopy because of your beleif in things unseen, Just my humour. I tend to look for the most simple and prosaic cause for anything, before leaping to the complex and fantastic.

It always amuses me that when somebody post saying 'whats wrong'...., theres always some, who's very first suggestion is the most complex possible reason. Aka, it must be
"super-hyper-vitaminosis-A combined with chameleon diabetes and a brain tumour!" :D

Definately inspect for unseen tiny invaders like ants or something else that may have entered the home undetected. The reason I asked about other possible reptiles you may have is reptile mites. They are any keepers worst nightmare! Its a long shot, but not near as long as the supernatural! :)

Maybe its only just realised its living in Canada :p (joking, dont shoot)

Usually when Impellers go out. There is a noticeable increase in noise from the filter. Usually that is. I have had magnets and impellers be destroyed by sand so fast no noise was noticed. The dam thing just stopped working. On inspection they were not worn, they were gone!

I forget what models are quiet(er). But do some research on Skimmers on reef central. com and I know you can find a Skimmer that makes little to no noise.

Jo, The noise made by the function of the skimmer, causes vibrations too. And if you run an old air powered Skimmer (not worth a crap) the air pump vibrates.

If it's a ghost, that completely confounds my theory that chameleons are responsible for most, if not all hauntings. The evidence?
1) Chameleons are capable of producing noises in the infrasound range.
2) Humans do not consciously hear infrasound, but sense it in a way and are spooked by it, leading scientists to blame infrasound vibrations for "haunted houses".
Ergo, it follows as night follows day that most haunted houses are really suffering from chameleon infestations!

Interesting. If I were in another forum, I'd say to put up an infra-red-cam and see what else occurs. But this is a "daylight" forum and I doubt many will respond to anything etherieal.

Blessings and feel free to pm me. I'd love to find out what has just occured.

Back
Top Bottom