The start of something new

Thanks for the kudos.:eek:

The top canopy is actually pretty light. Look at the pics in my 2nd post where the removable panel is in place and retro-fit light kit is still installed. I will not be using the removable panel and have removed the lighting retro-fit. It's pretty bare bones now of which you can't really see or tell due to the inability to look down at the canopy. Doing these two things have cut the weight of the canopy by over half.

Home Depot and Lowes sells Fiberglass board which is water proof and white. It gives a brightness to the enclosure, it is sold in 4 by 8 foot sheets. I also cut some 9 inch strips to put along the back and 2 sides for water splatter from the misting system.:D

You can also use the Plastic Diffuser made for Flourescent Bulb fixures. I believe they come in 2x4 panels that fit drop ceilings. The come in a variety of textures.

Home Depot has a fixture for like 8 bucks that holds two 48" tubes. You can put one 5.0 and then an indoor 'grow' light in the other spot. Be sure to make an aluminum foil hood to help direct that UVB down into the cage.

Does every body put foil in there hoods?
I would like to see a picture of this.

Quick update. I was able to do an even trade. Swapped one of my power compact strips for this NO fluorescent strip. Not really an even trade for my PC strip probably cost twice as much as this one. Whatever. I still have another PC strip which just gathers dust in the garage.

ChamMansionLightStrip.jpg

Thanks guys!:eek: Keep me honest. I you see me about ready to step in cham poop (as in a potential mistake) scream out. Aesthetics is my goal but not at the cost of good husbandry or functionality.

Measuring temp and humidity..

This is what I use to track temp and humidity in my PDF viv. What's nice is the fact that it is wireless. The station sits in my down stairs office while the sensor is in a viv upstairs. The beauty of the device is the fact that it stores in memory the data (it takes multiple readings automatically during the day) of which I can down load onto my computer. Very nice to track temp and humidity during the day and not be home to take the readings. It can handle up to 3 sensors... My plan is not to mount a sensor in the cham cages for I want to be flexible in taking different readings at different heights within the cages.

Station and Sensor
CHDataLogger.jpg

Sensor hidden in my PDF viv (and yes those are "Old School" MistKing nozzles)
CHHidingPlace.jpg

Measuring temp and humidity..

This is what I use to track temp and humidity in my PDF viv. What's nice is the fact that it is wireless. The station sits in my down stairs office while the sensor is in a viv upstairs. The beauty of the device is the fact that it stores in memory the data (it takes multiple readings automatically during the day) of which I can down load onto my computer. Very nice to track temp and humidity during the day and not be home to take the readings. It can handle up to 3 sensors... My plan is not to mount a sensor in the cham cages for I want to be flexible in taking different readings at different heights within the cages.

Station and Sensor
CHDataLogger.jpg

CHHidingPlace.jpg

I NEED a mister, is there any ones for sale that anyone nows about that is cheep?

CHHidingPlace.jpg

what is a PDF viv? Just judging from the pic it looks like there is glass or plastic covering the top of the cage? I can't really tell what I'm looking at other than some misters and the sensor/transmitter box... but where is it located? I am curious because I wanted to make sure you knew that UVB does not pass through plastic or glass. There are special plastics that do transmit UVB.... but to cover the top of your cages...:confused:

what is a PDF viv?
Poison Dart Frog vivarium. PDF's need very high humidity levels thus the glass top.;) So much humidity that sometimes it is tough to keep condensation in check just to see the inhabitants. I had to build a vent system with mini fans in order to keep the front of the viv clear of condensation. I'll post a pick of the top of my PDF viv later...

Back
Top Bottom