The Pygs new Home

Ryan

I actually think you have a good set up going.
We are constantly tweaking and adjusting these things to get them perfect and (in my opinion) we would never get it close to being right without first diving in.
I am glad that you perceived my comments as constructive (it is how they were intended).
I look forward to working with brevs and sharing information in the future.

-Brad

Ryan

I actually think you have a good set up going.
We are constantly tweaking and adjusting these things to get them perfect and (in my opinion) we would never get it close to being right without first diving in.
I am glad that you perceived my comments as constructive (it is how they were intended).
I look forward to working with brevs and sharing information in the future.

-Brad

Thanks Brad, I am already starting to work on tweaks because of your help. I do appreciate it.

Last night I lowered the temps in the room I keep them in and am off to get some sticks and stuff for some new highways. :D

I put the content back , maybe others can learn from the constructive criticism.

Good.

Here are two more questions;)

What is the footprint of that enclosure ryan?
and
How much of it is available substrate? (areas for laying)
It is reported that the females often choose to dig their "egg pits" under forest floor detritus (dead leaves etc.)

-Brad

Good.

Here are two more questions;)

What is the footprint of that enclosure ryan?
and
How much of it is available substrate? (areas for laying)
It is reported that the females often choose to dig their "egg pits" under forest floor detritus (dead leaves etc.)

-Brad

The viv is 18x18x24.

There backdrop can be dug/cut into (it works alot like dirt) and parts removed to put the areas for laying. I plan on provided at least three nice size areas in the viv with at least 3in of substrate under them.

On your advise we are considering removing the water feature and placing substrate in that area to provide even more laying area. Along with the sticks, dead leaves , etc.

I have also dropped the temps in the room a bit to keep them in the 70-72 range during the day. Its hard to get below 65 at night but I will see what I can do about that.

This is turning out to be an excellent thread.
In the interest of continuing the education and experimenting, I am posting an updated photo of the enclosure I am currently working on.
I have also moved the thread to the pygmy enclosure forum.
I too am working with an 18x18x25 exo terra.

-Brad

Last edited:
It probably goes without saying, but, if you are interested, I highly recommend going through the older posts in this forum (pygmy enclosures).
My favorite is Roo's "pygmy room" on page 4.
Great photos!

-Brad

It probably goes without saying, but, if you are interested, I highly recommend going through the older posts in this forum (pygmy enclosures).
My favorite is Roo's "pygmy room" on page 4.
Great photos!

-Brad

I am home sick with nothing else to do. Sounds like fun. Thanks again Brad

https://www.chameleonforums.com/video-pig-enclosure-tour-12327/

and https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-pig-enclosure-12194/

thats my old digs, they did very well in that enclosure.

i gave them lots of open floor space, and littered the ground with leaves, i used decos that had an umbrella type foot print. they took up very little floor space. but provide barriers, and enrichment once the deco mushroomed out..

the ground itself was varying slightly, and then a slope was provide in the back right corner. all the eggs were laid there.

what was the best about my enclosure is regardless of what i or anyone else thought was ideal, i was able to provide such a varied temp and humid gradient. they could choose where they wanted to be very easily. i should have taken reading of that spot. if they all liked it enough to lay there....something was right

that was not the final product though. that was about half way. there were tunnels, and hidden areas, live plants and vines, the bamboo is only in there for support of the uv fixture.

Last edited:
do your plants seem to be growing well in the foam insert?? and how did you attach them??

I am just about to post an update with pics but thought I would answer your questions first.

The plants are growing great! All you have to do is cut a plus sign in the foam and dig it out like dirt. It is awesome. I plant the more "hydro" type plants at the bottom and the ones that need less water higher.

OK here are some updated photos of the enclosure. I have added a lot of laying area. I would say more than 33% is laying area. I added lots of leaves and vines and some sticks.

Temps are now like Brads at 70-72 and down into the 60's at night. They are very happy and doing really well. They use the lower portion a lot more now that I added the cover. Water is still there and is not a problem as of yet. It is being monitored closely.

Constructive criticism is welcome , thanks.

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6412.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

nice set up man, very nice for show and pretty darn good for the pygs, its very nice how you added some more branches and what not, i was wondering hows the daily maitenance for them?

nice set up man, very nice for show and pretty darn good for the pygs, its very nice how you added some more branches and what not, i was wondering hows the daily maitenance for them?

They are easy , throw in some really small crickets and clean any poop I see laying around. They are really fun to watch and are all over the viv.

That looks great Ryan.
I think it is much better suited to the needs of your brevs.
I am currently in the process of constructing a second enclosure ... more arboreal ... I'll post pics when it's done.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom