The penthouse has arrived!

Angelwolf

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just picked this baby up today! It's Emma and Eragon's new penthouse suite! They will have about 6x3x2 feet of outdoor playground to get natural sun and warmth, safely! Best part: I got it for $90! I will post pictures as I build it.
IMG_20200911_152306.jpg

I just picked this baby up today! It's Emma and Eragon's new penthouse suite! They will have about 6x3x2 feet of outdoor playground to get natural sun and warmth, safely! Best part: I got it for $90! I will post pictures as I build it. View attachment 276955
Looks great.looks like the center portion has a fully opening door. Did you get it new or used? If new--where did it come from

Nice! They want be going in there together will they? How about some new pictures of Emma in the Fiona and Amos thread? https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...scale-baby-thread.162583/page-30#post-1450415
Absolutely not! Although, when I am ready to let them breed, I may. Only because it's larger than their indoor enclosure, but we'll see. But, no. They won't be in there together! So far, neither one is impressed with the other, anyway. My male just turned 1, and I wanted to wait until at least that age to start researching and learning about breeding.

Last edited:
Looks great.looks like the center portion has a fully opening door. Did you get it new or used? If new--where did it come from
It does. It has 2 small doors and 1 large panel opening, and a slide out tray made of sheet metal that even has a center brace support. The whole thing should be pretty escape proof, and the wire mesh is small enough that I don't need to worry about anything getting in, like birds, neighborhood strays, etc. It's made of hard wood and has an asphalt roof, so it's made to be outside. It's a very slightly used bird aviary that was posted on the Facebook Marketplace. So it was local, and coincidentally, within about a mile of where my husband and I used to live! The lady used it for her African Grey parrot who apparent HATED it! And, obviously, it looks nice enough to sit on my front porch where I get the best sunlight for most of the day.

I don't think that's hardwood. Regardless, if it's going to be exposed to the elements (rain & direct sun) I would seal it with an exterior urethane, allowed to cure completely before introducing the chameleons.
The seller said it's made of solid pine. It's an outdoor bird aviary.

The seller said it's made of solid pine. It's an outdoor bird aviary.
OK, that's what it looked like. Pine is a softwood (as are all conifers).
Hardwoods are deciduous, like oak, maple, nut and fruit trees.
All the more reason I suggest sealing it to prevent warping and dry rot.

Also, on the off chance there's any sap remaining, you don't want your chameleon getting into it.

Ok. Thanks for the info! Have you used anything and had better luck over others? Don't want to waste the money on cheap junk.

Ok. Thanks for the info! Have you used anything and had better luck over others? Don't want to waste the money on cheap junk.
Not for exterior use. For interior use I prefer water-based finishes, both for ease of cleanup and less VOCs. For exterior, many pros prefer an oil base product. That's why I mentioned allowing it to cure completely, which can take a while (you have to read labels carefully).
Once completely cured, it should be safe.

I guess I'd do a little research on google; be wary of sources selling or associated with particular products.

If you do get an oil-based product, you'll also need to get a solvent for cleanup afterward.

Back
Top Bottom