The only good petco in existance

Ok, when ever I go over my aunts house I always go to Petco because its like the only good petco I have ever seen. Ok first, the Workers are helpful and honest. They are also open to suggestion, I told one of the workers some things about the care for one of the reptiles and they listened. And if the people dont know what you talking about or dont know the right care, they will tell you. Second the animals are for the most part healthy.
Now the reason I can tell that about 85% of the animals there are healthy is because one of the people there is a "friend" of mine and lets me hold pretty much anything I want so I have the chance to inspect all the animals I hold and the only one that has been unhealthy to the eye (and for the rest the act normal and poop good) is a veiled chameleon they had there that had a hood that was shifted or bent. I can tell you a list of things that i have held and I am(one has a story.
  1. Veiled chameleon= acted and looked healthy
  2. columbian boa = healthy
  3. Leopard Gecko= the best leo I have ever seen in any pet shop ever
  4. Crested gecko= I have bought a crested gecko from these guys and he is now happy and healthy:)
  5. aggressive blood python= I can say he was healthy
  6. Baby water dragon= healthy
  7. Bearded dragon= healthy(ok this one has a story also) i was holding him and he took a leap of faith off my hand, I caught him.
  8. and blotched kingsnake = this is the true one with a story. I look at the cage and asked where is he in the cage. They said he is in his bedding but no one ever touches him, I asked why and they said that he was REALLY aggressive. So i asked can I hold him. He let me reach in and hold him and he was fine. once i got him out of the cage he acted like my snake at home.
Most petcos out there are so bad but this one has done the best so far. The only problem I see is cage sizes which they cant control. If you want me to tell you where it is I will tell you. (Its in Pennsylvania) If you go there ask for Danny and tell him jimmy sent you

Any questions about the place I will tell you the best I can(y)

Last edited:
How experienced are you with these animals? Do you know what the proper care is for a Chameleon? I thought petco was great when they sold me a chameloon and about $200 of junk that is no good for a Chameleon. It wasn't until I found this forum that I realized how bad they were. In the petco store did they have reptibark substrate in the cage, a feeding bowl filled with meal worms, a large water bowl catching water from a dripper that the chameleons can't get to since the drops fall into a large water dish, no UVB bulb, fake plants and all the chameleons hanging upside down from the top of the screen top trying to find a high point to hide?

How experienced are you with these animals? Do you know what the proper care is for a Chameleon? I thought petco was great when they sold me a chameloon and about $200 of junk that is no good for a Chameleon. It wasn't until I found this forum that I realized how bad they were. In the petco store did they have reptibark substrate in the cage, a feeding bowl filled with meal worms, a large water bowl catching water from a dripper that the chameleons can't get to since the drops fall into a large water dish, no UVB bulb, fake plants and all the chameleons hanging upside down from the top of the screen top trying to find a high point to hide?
Yes I do I have owned a veiled chameleon for 3 months so far. And i did about 4 months of reaserch, I have got my setup checked and care checked and everybody is saying Im doing fine

Yes I do I have owned a veiled chameleon for 3 months so far. And i did about 4 months of reaserch, I have got my setup checked and care checked and everybody is saying Im doing fine

Now just imagine if you had to spend this much time learning about every pet/product they sold in the store. I shop at the local Pet Supplies plus but they do not take care of their pets properly but I buy dog supplies from there. I do enjoy to talking with some of the employees though because they are nice people. I do not blame them for wanting to work there. I just will not support their reptile business.

It's the employees and the actual store itself. They're forced by cooperate to follow certain guidelines and can only stretch the rules so far. Some employees care, and others care less. You can generalize and say "all petco employees are bad". That isn't fair and it is unaccurate statment. Another factor is that much of what they know about the animals, they learn from the store they're working at. And basically follow blindly the care guidlines they're provided with. There's good people at the stores for the majority, they simply neglect the proper care out of ignorance.

It's the employees and the actual store itself. They're forced by cooperate to follow certain guidelines and can only stretch the rules so far. Some employees care, and others care less. You can generalize and say "all petco employees are bad". That isn't fair and it is unaccurate statment. Another factor is that much of what they know about the animals, they learn from the store they're working at. And basically follow blindly the care guidlines they're provided with. There's good people at the stores for the majority, they simply neglect the proper care out of ignorance.
I completely agree, im just saying that this one petco is that only petco that I personally seen that is good enough to say that they care. (compared to the rest)

I completely agree, im just saying that this one petco is that only petco that I personally seen that is good enough to say that they care.
Now just imagine if you had to spend this much time learning about every pet/product they sold in the store. I shop at the local Pet Supplies plus but they do not take care of their pets properly but I buy dog supplies from there. I do enjoy to talking with some of the employees though because they are nice people. I do not blame them for wanting to work there. I just will not support their reptile business.
Yes, it is not the people there, even the person there Danny is a fish guy, not a reptile guy, but he listens to what I need to say and uses that knowledge in the future

You're new enough to not know the order of Chameleons...

I've complained to PetCo corporate about chameleon treatment and I thought the results were positive. Details here:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/large-chain-pet-stores-and-chameleons.112956/

I really don't have a problem with PetCo at this time and only wouldn't buy a reptile from them because they just don't have what I want. I've been to the PetCo I mentioned in the linked post many times and the improved care changes have been consistent for quite awhile now. In summary the care isn't perfect but in my opinion isn't harmful at the very least...

I bought my veiled chameleon from petco 3 months ago out of desire to save this cham. He was 4 months old....in another cage with another male being fed 12 crickets a WEEK and just dropping mealworms in a cup, no supplements at all. Being basically starved at his prime growth window he will be a smaller cham however im juat happy i found him when i did rather than later. As my love for chams continto grow, my next buddy will definitely be from a well cham educated breeder.

So once the good hearted customer bought the under nourish cham cause they felt bad for the chameleons in those dirty glass cage with non dusted supplements n non gutloaded feeder,just to save those poor soul,now 1week later, 5 more poor chameleons came in and stay in that same dirty glass tank,and waiting for the next 5 good hearted customer or impulse buyers.....same old situation n same old story.....you guys can decide shall all of u make a stand or just be a blinded by petco corporate followers???
I like those cigarettes commercial on TV,which the guy has to pull his teeth out jus to get a pack of smoke...
Why dont the true chameleon lover make a commercial for a "closed eye" "skinny" "poop on their own body" chameleon in the tiny dirty glass tank so all the good hearted people can feel bad n coming to buy their chameleons in petco....the CORPORATE TRUTH

You're new enough to not know the order of Chameleons...

I've complained to PetCo corporate about chameleon treatment and I thought the results were positive. Details here:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/large-chain-pet-stores-and-chameleons.112956/

I really don't have a problem with PetCo at this time and only wouldn't buy a reptile from them because they just don't have what I want. I've been to the PetCo I mentioned in the linked post many times and the improved care changes have been consistent for quite awhile now. In summary the care isn't perfect but in my opinion isn't harmful at the very least...
I just read the form. And I think that that was a very well said message, I enjoy to hear that of ALL the petcos out there some of them can do the right thing and take recommendations from people who know what there doing.:)

So once the good hearted customer bought the under nourish cham cause they felt bad for the chameleons in those dirty glass cage with non dusted supplements n non gutloaded feeder,just to save those poor soul,now 1week later, 5 more poor chameleons came in and stay in that same dirty glass tank,and waiting for the next 5 good hearted customer or impulse buyers.....same old situation n same old story.....you guys can decide shall all of u make a stand or just be a blinded by petco corporate followers???
I like those cigarettes commercial on TV,which the guy has to pull his teeth out jus to get a pack of smoke...
Why dont the true chameleon lover make a commercial for a "closed eye" "skinny" "poop on their own body" chameleon in the tiny dirty glass tank so all the good hearted people can feel bad n coming to buy their chameleons in petco....the CORPORATE TRUTH
Trust me I see were your coming from. Ok the petco I live near (A new petco) has leos, I look in the cage and he is as skinny as a tooth pick. As the leos at my aunts place had A leo that was SO HEALTHY. I told you I am already to hold anything I want and I picked him up and did the normal inspection of a leo, Any discharge, missing toes, shedding problems, under/over weight and he passed. That is why I am happy to hear about GOOD petcos because for the animals in that petco don't have the BEST lives but there have way better life in the petco with the toothpick:(.

@ShadowMaster107 Damn right,u see where im coming from....I dont hate Petco but I dont like how they treat the chameleons in those glass tank,I dont blame the workers there,cause they were only told what they should do,but I will point at the company top executives,cause their marketing strategy is only better for their profit but not for those poor pets in the tanks,so if someone dont speak up,then nothing will ever change,just like a broken record.....petco this,petco that ....petsmart this petdumbdumb that.
So sad that its making me see the whole thing differently,and I dont care what they do until they make some serious change if they wana sell their chams,cause I know where the truth lies....and its in my heart for those poor chameleons!!!!

@ShadowMaster107 Damn right,u see where im coming from....I dont hate Petco but I dont like how they treat the chameleons in those glass tank,I dont blame the workers there,cause they were only told what they should do,but I will point at the company top executives,cause their marketing strategy is only better for their profit but not for those poor pets in the tanks,so if someone dont speak up,then nothing will ever change,just like a broken record.....petco this,petco that ....petsmart this petdumbdumb that.
So sad that its making me see the whole thing differently,and I dont care what they do until they make some serious change if they wana sell their chams,cause I know where the truth lies....and its in my heart for those poor chameleons!!!!
Me to, you know what I am going to record the petco and let you see for you yourself. And by the way im trying to say that this petco is good compared to the rest of the petcos. Not that petco is good. I hope you see where im coming from

Record for what??
I haven't step into the petco for almost 4years,and im not planning to go for another 10years,unless they change their way to put those chameleons in the proper cage and feeding them in the correct way....
Im not their Judge and I wont even be interesting to see what they have in their store so dont waste my time n urs,and I do know where u coming from,if that makes u feel better.

Back
Top Bottom