***The Official Enclosure Picture Thread***

Did you just bake them or spray with a Clorox mixture befor e putting them in the cage?

Nope, neither. I cut fresh branches and put them right into the cage. I know they come from an area free of pesticides and I'm not worried about any bugs or anything on them so I didn't mess with them at all. They've been in there now since like April I believe and they're holding up to the humidity and heat pretty well. They still look new.

Why not pine? I hadn't heard that one yet and I have lots of pine around me. Is it a sap issue or other?

The sap is definitely a pain (although baking a piece of pine wood makes your house smell aaamazing!) but I have read that pine (and cedar too, I believe?) have oils that have shown to cause respiratory issues and liver enzyme changes in research animals, like lab rats, kept on pine shavings, which is why they don't recommend this bedding for small pet mammals. And I've always heard that it's a horrible material for snakes because it causes all the same problems. So I've always assumed that it may affect most animals to a similar degree and just avoid using pine.

I imagine that short exposure isn't a problem, like letting your chameleon pose around on a pine tree for photos. But maybe putting them on cut pine branches 24/7 might be a bit much long-term.

Diy :)

just finished this. Hope its up to standard :)

Attachments

• new cage.jpg
    new cage.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 394
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 394
Newly setup for my 4.5 month old veiled

IMG_1612_zps75c41cda.jpg

IMG_1613_zpsc09e6417.jpg

Water collects in the bowl and then I use a turkey baster (spelling?) to empty it every night:
IMG_1614_zps0c8adad0.jpg

IMG_1615_zps9951a32d.jpg

Great Pictures

These are great pictures. I am new to owning a Veiled Chameleon and this helps a lot to see all the different ways to set things up.

I just put the wood chips and moss around the plant, darn crickets hide in it though. Those are neat chomes (chameleon homes), I'll try and post pictures of my little guy's pad soon.

I love all the different enclosures! Here's one w/ 2 about 5" Jackson's in it, it's 2'x2'x2':
du4a5uhy.jpg
we're working on an automated mister at the moment...
Then there's the about 2'x12"x16" cage with the 2, 2mos old veiled chameleons....:
a4yryjy4.jpg

Worked long and hard to get the cages lookin this good, only to have to tear them apart to get the vines and live plants out.....

That's a good idea I never thought of it, there good strong tents. What do you do for ventilation have you got a extractor in there or just left the top vents open?

That's a good idea I never thought of it, there good strong tents. What do you do for ventilation have you got a extractor in there or just left the top vents open?

yh mate they are perfect just had julian make me a custom lid and put a 4icnh extractor near the heat source:)

Back
Top Bottom