The newest addition to the family...

See look at how cute they are with their little yellow stripes!
20190719_083334.jpg

I give you all so much credit for
A) raising your own feeders
B) working with roaches
-It's kind of a shared dislike for roaches my Cham and I have they make me squirm and he doesn't seem to like eating them dispite several attempts at offering dubia.
C) Flying Roaches OMG nutritional value shamlue I'm running for the hills if that thing starts flapping around.

I give you all so much credit for
A) raising your own feeders
B) working with roaches
-It's kind of a shared dislike for roaches my Cham and I have they make me squirm and he doesn't seem to like eating them dispite several attempts at offering dubia.
C) Flying Roaches OMG nutritional value shamlue I'm running for the hills if that thing starts flapping around.

I've mastered my matrix bug maneuvers when in the bug room. No roaches escaped (well... sans the GIANT FREAKING DUBIA we found in my kitchen yesterday)... but the damn BSFL always escape and pupate outside of the cage. So I'll get a random fly by (see what I did there) every now and then that scares the hell out of me.

Roaches are an acquired taste lol. I hated them as much as you guys when I first got them. One thing with feeding, most chams aren't raised with them, so they don't want them when you first try. You have to tough love it for a week or two and they make the transition. I did this for 5 chameleons, male/female and a Parsons who turns down anything for roaches now. Also dubia are bleh... some roach species seem to be very palatable and readily accepted though.

So this kitchen dubia.... well... one of the new panther’s cage was in my kitchen along a long empty wall. I put a medium dubia in his feeder run and that thing stayed there for weeks. Donnie wouldnt touch it. One day it was gone... and I was left with this sinking feeling it escaped vs Donnie actually eating it. We tore down the cage a week or two later and put the plants outside. Didnt see any dubia, thought I was good.

Yesterday this bastard was chilling in my silkmoth bin under that cage area. He was NOT there that morning. My step daughter (who is totally freaked out by bugs) noticed it. He’s been freeranging in my house for weeks!!!!

2EDC6F8A-8F33-49A4-BF2A-3BFFF19C7169.jpeg

I've mastered my matrix bug maneuvers when in the bug room. No roaches escaped (well... sans the GIANT FREAKING DUBIA we found in my kitchen yesterday)... but the damn BSFL always escape and pupate outside of the cage. So I'll get a random fly by (see what I did there) every now and then that scares the hell out of me.
I've come to love bsfl and bsf they are so docile as flys when they do escape they are happy to perch on a fingertip as you wrangle them.
As for the larvae they get super powers as soon as moisture is introduced but they don't gross me out nearly as much.

The last time I got dubia from a local bug and reptile breeder they unknowingly pushed me past my limit by handing me an adult dubia to explain how charming they are ..I didn't want to offend them so I kept my cool and held it for a moment before popping it into the bin again. I don't know if it was psychosomatic or not but I swear my hand itched afterwards dispite washing and sanitizing... But I held a roach and it was a big mile stone for me. I just equate them to giant isopods now to lessen the stigma I have about roaches. Jacksjill just gave me some pointers on how to feed them off with greater success in another thread maybe I'll try them again sooner than later.

Of all the bugs that I use my room mates wouldn't tolerate roaches on the loose. One actually loves when the hornworms get too large to feed so she can make a little habitat for them to pupate into the giant mothra m.f.ers that they become. Not if I can get her to get eggs and raise horns for me that would be epic.

So this kitchen dubia.... well... one of the new panther’s cage was in my kitchen along a long empty wall. I put a medium dubia in his feeder run and that thing stayed there for weeks. Donnie wouldnt touch it. One day it was gone... and I was left with this sinking feeling it escaped vs Donnie actually eating it. We tore down the cage a week or two later and put the plants outside. Didnt see any dubia, thought I was good.

Yesterday this bastard was chilling in my silkmoth bin under that cage area. He was NOT there that morning. My step daughter (who is totally freaked out by bugs) noticed it. He’s been freeranging in my house for weeks!!!!

View attachment 240137
That guys is living the good life! Hes travelled the world, seen things most roaches never see, experienced life to its fullest!

I've come to love bsfl and bsf they are so docile as flys when they do escape they are happy to perch on a fingertip as you wrangle them.
As for the larvae they get super powers as soon as moisture is introduced but they don't gross me out nearly as much.

The last time I got dubia from a local bug and reptile breeder they unknowingly pushed me past my limit by handing me an adult dubia to explain how charming they are ..I didn't want to offend them so I kept my cool and held it for a moment before popping it into the bin again. I don't know if it was psychosomatic or not but I swear my hand itched afterwards dispite washing and sanitizing... But I held a roach and it was a big mile stone for me. I just equate them to giant isopods now to lessen the stigma I have about roaches. Jacksjill just gave me some pointers on how to feed them off with greater success in another thread maybe I'll try them again sooner than later.

Of all the bugs that I use my room mates wouldn't tolerate roaches on the loose. One actually loves when the hornworms get too large to feed so she can make a little habitat for them to pupate into the giant mothra m.f.ers that they become. Not if I can get her to get eggs and raise horns for me that would be epic.
Lol the same thing happened with my bf and some hornworms. I was going to take them back to my local shop to swap out for small ones as per our usual agreement, but my bf was like wait no I love them let me keep them.
How do you say no to that when usually he hates anything to do with my cham???

View attachment 240137
How much work are silk moths I've got a decent amount of silkies that are starting to caccoon is it something that I should attempt harvesting eggs? I love that they don't really fly so I don't have to worry about jailbreaks

How much work are silk moths I've got a decent amount of silkies that are starting to caccoon is it something that I should attempt harvesting eggs? I love that they don't really fly so I don't have to worry about jailbreaks

Silkmoths are ZERO maintenance. They don't eat and only live 3-5 days. If your silks grow too big - let them pupate and then wait a few weeks (2-3). They'll start mating immediately (move them to a container with wax paper or else they'll lay eggs on the cocoon and that sucks). You can also feed off the moths... wait for them to mate and watch for eggs. Once you think the female laid them feed em off!

Back
Top Bottom