The ill effects of Butterworms

Action Jackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I fed my Parson's some big fat Butter worms on December 19th and one of them had a bad reaction after eating two in a row. 3 1/2 weeks later she still has not recovered. Anyone else experience this?

Dec. 20th
IMG_5789_zps52604bad.jpg

Today
IMG_6182-1_zps1f46411d.jpg

Shoot, and I just ordered some for delivery this week. I've fed them off before without issues. Do you think after a few sheds this will clear up?

That is a terrible effect. I had something similar happen with fruit flies with a baby chameleon. The chameleon was OK then ate some fruit flies and died an hour later.

I remember reading similar effects but with a crested gecko. The gecko bit the worm and the worm juice bleached the skin color or something. Has your cham acted ill, any effects?

I wouldn't know how something like this is possible. Perhaps it's an allergy unique to individuals, like us and peanuts. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, butterworms would cause much more wide-spread damage, not just one or two here and there. I must have fed off hundreds of butterworms in all the time I've had geckos or chameleons and I've never had an incident like this happening.

Has she seen a vet? Have they been able to give you any opinions about it?

Bentley had the same thing happen to him. I no longer feed butter worms to any of my chams along with mantis either.

Shoot, and I just ordered some for delivery this week. I've fed them off before without issues. Do you think after a few sheds this will clear up?

I hope so. It seems to be going away slowly.

Oh wow! I am getting some this coming week too. Did it or does it seem to bother him?

It doesn't seem to bother her.

I remember reading similar effects but with a crested gecko. The gecko bit the worm and the worm juice bleached the skin color or something. Has your cham acted ill, any effects?

I read about the geckos. It sound like a similar incident.

I wouldn't know how something like this is possible. Perhaps it's an allergy unique to individuals, like us and peanuts. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, butterworms would cause much more wide-spread damage, not just one or two here and there. I must have fed off hundreds of butterworms in all the time I've had geckos or chameleons and I've never had an incident like this happening.
Has she seen a vet? Have they been able to give you any opinions about it?

I don't get it either. My other chameleons ate them fine. I didn't refrigerate the worms. They looked fine but maybe that had something to do with it? She hasn't been to the vet. I don't think there is anything they could do about it. I think it wil go away in time. Kinda hesitant to feed them butters now.

Sounds like what I'm going through. Did Bentley heal up ok.

It took almost 3 months but he is perfect now. It freaked me out bad because after his skin went yellow it turned black and he stoped eatting for a week. But after that he went back to normal and started eatting just fine it just took some time for the spot to heal .

It took almost 3 months but he is perfect now. It freaked me out bad because after his skin went yellow it turned black and he stoped eatting for a week. But after that he went back to normal and started eatting just fine it just took some time for the spot to heal .

That's good news. I'd like to see some pictures of him.

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for posting this. So many people have used so many butterworms without any issues at all. I wonder why just a small few have problems though. Keep us updated on how it resolves!

AJ,

I spent the time trying to find the actual article on this for details so forgive my fuzzy memory. I did not find the article but it concerned some type of Ph issue with the butterworms when they are in process of either making silk or getting ready to make a cocoon or something. Normally I'm more precise.

The only thing I have gone by for decades is to not use the butter worms if they are a bright red or reddish orange. That is the indicator they are not so usable. I had a Quad back in the 90's that ate one and got bug juice all over the place. I called it "bleaching" because the next day he had the same thing yours did. I washed him off the next day when I saw it. He was looking fine about 4 months later after a number of sheds. I also noticed a leaf had been affected. You may want to experiment with a leaf or two....

Look for somebody who is experienced in entomology (spelling?), I had somebody back then to ask about bugs and that was how I learned about the article. Hope that helps a little but your lady should be ok. Avoid the butters when they are that bright red/ reddish orange.

Maybe somebody here knows the actual issue with that worm?

Wonder if maybe a common denominator in chams that were effected is associated with being refridgerated or not and same effects in color pupation of the worm keeping it cold vs room temp etc....

Regardless that seems scary that the worm would contain jucies to have that effect.

Hopefully in the next few sheds it will clear

AJ,

I spent the time trying to find the actual article on this for details so forgive my fuzzy memory. I did not find the article but it concerned some type of Ph issue with the butterworms when they are in process of either making silk or getting ready to make a cocoon or something. Normally I'm more precise.

The only thing I have gone by for decades is to not use the butter worms if they are a bright red or reddish orange. That is the indicator they are not so usable. I had a Quad back in the 90's that ate one and got bug juice all over the place. I called it "bleaching" because the next day he had the same thing yours did. I washed him off the next day when I saw it. He was looking fine about 4 months later after a number of sheds. I also noticed a leaf had been affected. You may want to experiment with a leaf or two....

Look for somebody who is experienced in entomology (spelling?), I had somebody back then to ask about bugs and that was how I learned about the article. Hope that helps a little but your lady should be ok. Avoid the butters when they are that bright red/ reddish orange.

Maybe somebody here knows the actual issue with that worm?

This is very interesting. The butterworms had indeed made cocoons and had reddish orangey coloration. I'm starting to think it had something to do with the worms not being in the frig for a while.

Back
Top Bottom