The egg report.

ijmccollum

Thought I would start another thread regarding eggs in incubation.

I have sambava eggs incubating, two batches. Sixteen, currently healthy, from first batch laid 9/20/2012 and twenty five from a second laying (11/21/2012). The second laying has some very discolored, some discolored and molded and others discolored without mold.

I am thinking the discolored ones, molded or not, are probably infertile. I would appreciate feed back on this.

The count on "white" eggs from both batches is 26. The first batch has doubled in size. Of course I am anxious.

Please feel free to post your egg updates here.

When it comes to eggs, I never toss them until there is no chance they'd will hatch. I have had some strange eggs hatch. Just give them time. Brown ones can hatch.

Thanks for your input laurie. What's your take on the molded ones? There is a slight odor in the bin with the discolored and molded ones. I attribute it to the mold itself. Should I pull those?

here's those eggs.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 165
Pull any moldy eggs, just in case it can spread. Moldy ones usually are bad, especially if they are discolored.

Thanks for that reply, I have been concerned about mold spreading -- doesn't seem like it would contribute to a healthy environ. I will pull them tonight when I get home.

I hope we managed to avoid a disaster this Christmas. The fan on our furnace went out so temps in the house plummeted – we live in N. Utah so yes, it gets cold, right now it is -11F outside. I brought the eggs up from the basement to the rec-room and brought in 3 space heaters to try to keep temps up. We were able to maintain temps at about 67F, at night it would drop to 60F. I am not sure what the temps in the basement were before I caught the situation, the bins themselves measured 58F with the temp gun when I brought them up, and they were in the 60-67F zone for five days before we got everything fixed – Christmas is not the time to have your furnace go out, getting parts takes a lot longer. Since then I have left them in the rec-room which is staying at about 75-78F. They won’t be going back down to the basement.

On another note, actually a question, I was considering moving the Nov eggs into the Sept egg bin because the Nov bin had the discolored and molded eggs. I have heard that you should not disturb the eggs but I am wondering if development of embryo at this time point could handle the move. I know some will yell at me but I have yet to remove the molded eggs based on Lauri’s mention that she had some really strange eggs hatch. I am at a conundrum as what to do. There is no rotted egg smell just musky mold. The Sept bin is pristine, The Nov bin remains unchanged.

Mold wont spread from egg to egg but there's no point in keeping moldy eggs so I throw them out. I wait for them to get a heavy white fuzz.You don't have to worry about moving the laying bin, just make sure the eggs don't turn. I wouldn't recommend taking the moving them from bin to bin. No point.

Back
Top Bottom