The difference between Ambato and Ambanja.

Texas Ranger

Avid Member
Hey everyone I saw earlier there was a deduction on Aboato local and Ambanja local . They are indeed two different locales with a good amount of differences. A lot of people here in the USA just throw the ambato local in with the ambanja because they do look close in locale. I for one am doing my best to keep my Ambato separate from my ambanjas. I have sold plenty of cham babies in the past were I try to explain the difference and the reaction I got most of the time when telling them they are ambatos was oh they are fancy ambanjas. Well needless to say I got tired of explaining and arguing the differences and just went with the flow and let people call them ambanjas . Well I am going to try and clear a few things up with this thread the best I can. So we can get back to how people seperate locales overseas like in the UK and Germanyand the Netherlands they have way more locales then us because they pay attention to the details and define each locale were as we just throw set looks together and not just with ambanjas others such as ambies,sambavas,mitsios ect.

Here is my male ranger a ambato notice the top bar fade that is one defining treat.
Mychams1-24-12022.jpg

Mychams1-24-12109.jpg

Here is ranger fired up and white color background also another treat of ambato.
IMG_9741.jpg

Also notice how the bars are mostly solid and the back spikes are clean of bar color also a ambato treat. I will post a few links to that show the definition of a ambato and you then can go on the web pages and look up ambanjas as well. More pics and info to come.

Here is his offspring I produced all showing and carrying the ambato look. These are just pics I have on hand others with ranger babies can post there's as well to show the treats I have produced 99% red bar faze and only 1% blue bar faze. I am hopping in these new females I will have 50/50 red and blue bar fases .
. Also as you will see in all these pics more of a blue back ground as were ambanjas have more a forest green background.
Billy the kid aka ranger Jr. My hold back.
020_zpse912bd90.jpg

001_zps41c6e6e9.jpg

Younger ranger boy
125.jpg

Chads ranger boy with the ambato white fire up background.
IMG959306_zps194f171b.jpg

Another pic of ranger fired up showing ambato locale treats. Max has a ranger baby I hope he post a few pics along with ateraxia and a few others all showing these treats.
Here are a few links to see the definition and color profiles your selfs and you can also see other miss labled locales on this sites as well.
http://www.pardalis.be/ambato.htm
http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/panther-chameleons/ambato-panther-chameleon/

Last edited:
Here is a pic of Ranger Ambato locale.
134.jpg

http://www.pardalis.be/ambato.htm

Here is my CH Ambanja
newchampics041.jpg

You can clearly see the difference in the two locales. Ambato more of a blue background,more solid bars ,faded bars at the top along with clean back spikes ,also the orange coloring in the face. Were Ambanjas have more of a mixed not so full bar , forest green background,and red on the face the same as the bars and no fade on the top of the bars and color on the back spikes.
http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/panther-chameleons/ambanja-panther-chameleon/
http://www.pardalis.be/ambanja.htm

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to all of this and after researching the Ambato locale, I agree. Here are some shots of Walker that clearly show the absence of color on the spikes.

dutase9u.jpg

yge4asej.jpg

yzy7y9a5.jpg

Apparently the Ambato comes in two different color morphs, Red and Blue. Lee happens to have the Red and so far I happen to have the "Blue Diamond".

Lee, didn't you have Ranger and Sky imported specifically as Ambato?

A lot of people here in the USA just throw the ambato local in with the ambanja because they do look close in locale.

I think another problem is that when true Ambato have come in to the US they've been mixed with typical Ambanjas. I sure applaud trying to keep them separate from each other, though. Without accurate labels on imported females, though, what do you do when they come in together but hope for/rely on getting gravids and using the CH babies? Is that how you started your lines (all CH) or was there an actual shipment of Ambatos without Ambanjas?

Also, this CH male didn't quite look like the normal "Ambanja" once he colored up. Curious what you guys would call him:
Reed.JPG

I think another problem is that when true Ambato have come in to the US they've been mixed with typical Ambanjas. I sure applaud trying to keep them separate from each other, though. Without accurate labels on imported females, though, what do you do when they come in together but hope for/rely on getting gravids and using the CH babies? Is that how you started your lines (all CH) or was there an actual shipment of Ambatos without Ambanjas?

Also, this CH male didn't quite look like the normal "Ambanja" once he colored up. Curious what you guys would call him:
Reed.JPG

That is true Kent they do get mixed with ambanja a lot . I am doing my best to look for the treats above in the females I breed. Because in captivity you have to just try to keep to the look the wc match. My lines are not ch but I have done some digging in to my lines and they come from wc parents and all the offspring that I have seen from both the male and females side look ambato to me. On your male he is killer I would set him in the ambanja because of the red on his face he has some of the nicest aqua green for a ambanja background I have seen as well.

Looks good! You were posting photos of the offspring as I was typing. I hadn't realized you actually had the females too and were able to keep them separate from Ambanjas. Do you know of anyone else with Ambato for second bloodlines?

As for the above male, I've always called him Ambanja because he looked so typical as a youngster. He hatched from a wild-caught female laying eggs for me. I also bred his mother to my Ambanja, Sid, and produced that male Gargamel that everybody on here was so fond of. This is the above male, also:
100_3665a.jpg

Looks good! You were posting photos of the offspring as I was typing. I hadn't realized you actually had the females too and were able to keep them separate from Ambanjas. Do you know of anyone else with Ambato for second bloodlines?

As for the above male, I've always called him Ambanja because he looked so typical as a youngster. He hatched from a wild-caught female laying eggs for me. I also bred his mother to my Ambanja, Sid, and produced that male Gargamel that everybody on here was so fond of. This is the above male, also:
100_3665a.jpg

Yeah lol i had to dig up pics. I have several females now close to 6 that all came from ch and cb clutches that show ambato treats and a soon to be wc ambato male or two so i should have plenty of lines coming up from loaned males and my ranger line females and a few wc male to cb lines from lonestar chams. And then these males i have coming should allow for a few more lines. The only other person i know besides me that keeps the separate is lonestar chams And yeah man your boy is one hot 100% Ambanja

Sorry if I don't understand how ranger, an ambanja and walker an ambanja are now not.

Read my post and look at my links. I tried for a long time trying to tell people what my chams were and they all said oh a fancy ambanja every time. So i just gave up for a while and went with the flow of calling them ambanja. And i just can't stand to do it no more because they are different

Sorry if I don't understand how ranger, an ambanja and walker an ambanja are now not.

By most people's standards, they would still fall into what is considered Ambanja. For those who want to be a little more specific, there are occasionally animals collected from around Ankify up the peninsula to Ambato that can be (IMO should be) considered separate locales.

By most people's standards, they would still fall into what is considered Ambanja. For those who want to be a little more specific, there are occasionally animals collected from around Ankify up the peninsula to Ambato that can be (IMO should be) considered separate locales.

Couldn't have said it better my self . Kind of like yellow body ambanjas lol aka ankify locale.

I'm fairly new to all of this and after researching the Ambato locale, I agree. Here are some shots of Walker that clearly show the absence of color on the spikes.

dutase9u.jpg

yge4asej.jpg

yzy7y9a5.jpg

Apparently the Ambato comes in two different color morphs, Red and Blue. Lee happens to have the Red and so far I happen to have the "Blue Diamond".

Lee, didn't you have Ranger and Sky imported specifically as Ambato?

Looking at the link you provided with and comparing it the the ambanja it looks to me like it is indeed an ambanja. Maybe like another poster said that the breed line got mixed but look at the one you provided and the ambanja.

Ambanja:
http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/panther-chameleons/ambanja-panther-chameleon/

Ambato
http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/panther-chameleons/ambato-panther-chameleon/

Haha, when I look at my cham I know it is clearly a Jackson. I think there is so much inbreeding due to lack of knowledge that it is hard to decifer what we can see and what someone thinks they know! I am just glad mine has horns!
:cool:

Sorry for my english once again!

Back
Top Bottom