The deadliest feeder insect

Dont be so bloody crule..these arnt feeder food.any way the front claws could get stuck in there throat and could cut there throat..are you willing to risk that?

Hahaha

I have 4 Mantids and have yet to be attacked... i feel i am missing out on something!

They're just giving you a false sense of security for now, One day though...... You're not missing out, count yourself as lucky, their attacks are quite vicious.

How long do they live on average??

I have never raised them, but talked to my dad today about this and apparently there are some of the egg things(ootheca???) around their house. I thought about triyng to get a couple of them, but know nothing of their care.

Ok, I'm scared now... I keep them in my room and now have visions of a midnight attack!

I havent kept them long, these are my first four.

They are really low maintanance, just feed them smaller bugs and give them a misting of water every other day and they are sorted.
Once they reach adult i have been told a male can live upto 5months and a female upto 8months

I have to agree with MJ, i couldnt use them as a feeder food, they are way too cool for that!

i got the prettiest species.. ;) i breed them and raise various mantids..and to think u would feed a healthy mantis to your chameleon sickens me.you guys have no heart..iv had a few pms asking me where i get my mantids..after seeing this thread i wont be returning any of the pms.

3458502153_5df1361759_o.jpg

They're just giving you a false sense of security for now, One day though...... You're not missing out, count yourself as lucky, their attacks are quite vicious.

How long do they live on average??

I have never raised them, but talked to my dad today about this and apparently there are some of the egg things(ootheca???) around their house. I thought about triyng to get a couple of them, but know nothing of their care.

iv bred and raised 100s of different mantids..lots of different species..for over 3 years..iv never been bit once..it does not happen!!! unless your upsetting it ir grabbing it or trying to hurt it.

Dont be so bloody crule..these arnt feeder food.any way the front claws could get stuck in there throat and could cut there throat..are you willing to risk that?

I don't know about that, you'd have to ask a number of the other members on this forum that have fed them as feeders. Why is this any more cruel than any other insect we use as feeders?

iv bred and raised 100s of different mantids..lots of different species..for over 3 years..iv never been bit once..it does not happen!!! unless your upsetting it ir grabbing it or trying to hurt it.

Never been the circumstance with me. I don't know if you've read the whole thread or not, but I'm not the only person it happens to.

plus its very dangerous.like iv said allready there claws are very hard and very sharp..i wouldn't not risk it when locust are regular averball.a praying mantis is top of the insect world..its got to be respected for that surely?these things take down snakes for gods sake and insects 3X there size..Leave the mantids be and use locust..

3489199444_6ac558e87a_o.jpg

3489289756_0a14935cd9_o.jpg

Never been the circumstance with me. I don't know if you've read the whole thread or not, but I'm not the only person it happens to.

are these wild caught ?the ones that bite? or raised by a breeder?ones from the wild are more likely to bite..hence why iv never been bit..cause all mine are captive bred.iv been on the mantis forums for about 3 years..never seen any one been bit..just 1 guy(robb) who had a very various species.about from that its unheard of..

plus its very dangerous.like iv said allready there claws are very hard and very sharp..i wouldn't not risk it when locust are regular averball.a praying mantis is top of the insect world..its got to be respected for that surely?these things take down snakes for gods sake and insects 3X there size..Leave the mantids be and use locust..

It is my understanding that we can't get locust and grasshoppers here(U.S.) unless they are wild caught, then you risk potential pesticide exposure to your chameleon.

are these wild caught ?the ones that bite? or raised by a breeder?ones from the wild are more likely to bite..hence why iv never been bit..cause all mine are captive bred.iv been on the mantis forums for about 3 years..never seen any one been bit..just 1 guy(robb) who had a very various species.about from that its unheard of..

I've only been bitten once, "attacked" more than enough times. All wild, I am not trying to seek out these mantis or trying to capture them for keeping, I have no desire to do so. I do not know anyone personally that keeps mantis in any form.

I've only been bitten once, "attacked" more than enough times. All wild, I am not trying to seek out these mantis or trying to capture them for keeping, I have no desire to do so. I do not know anyone personally that keeps mantis in any form.

It is a growing hobby over here in the UK :D

It is my understanding that we can't get locust and grasshoppers here(U.S.) unless they are wild caught, then you risk potential pesticide exposure to your chameleon.

if i can find a place that sales captive bred locust in the us will you stop feeding mantids to your chameleons?

if i can find a place that sales captive bred locust in the us will you stop feeding mantids to your chameleons?

I've never used them, my veiled is only about 4 months. I know some people do use them, I'm not sure if they'd stop or not, that's their choice. I highly doubt you will find a place in the states that can sell locust, I'm not sure if it's illegal or what. I believe it has something to do with being invasive species. Someone from U.S. that knows for sure please correct me if I am wrong. Go ahead and try if you would like, I am sure all of us would like having yet another feeder option.

Last edited:
So I've been doing to searching and by far the most specific source of info can be found at mantidforum.net... just don't tell those guys we use mantids as food for our CHAMS!!

We should do our best to post our most useful findings in one place to be easily referenced. For those interested in learning more about mantids and their upbringing, check out this thread.

Praying Mantis 101

Hope this helps guys!

-Chad

I used to raise and sell exotic mantid species.
That's how I raised the $$ for my chams :D

You would be surprised to know they actually make good starter pets
for kids.
Their behaviour is much more like an animal then an insect ;)

Back
Top Bottom