The Cham Handling thread

fubekka

Hey everyone,

After surfing this site and others there are a few questions I can't seem to find answers too. What is the correct way to pick up a chameleon? If they are hissing and running away from you, do you continue to try to pick them up, or let them go? I've currently got my little man out and on a plant next to me per Olimpia's advice, but I've had him nearly a month now and he doesn't seem to be warming up to me. At this point should I assume he is one of the anti-social cham personalities and just leave him alone? Just a few questions, and i'm sorry if these have been answered ad naseum. Thanks again
McKay

The correct way to pick them up is to put your hand under and infront of them and to gently lift up and see if they'll step up, like you would with a bird. If he's hissing and distressed, I would leave him be.

Sometimes it can take months for chams to get comfortable with you. And sometimes they might never be ok with being ON you or with you. Right now I have one of my panthers sitting on a fake ficus next to where I'm sitting on the couch, and he's up there out of his own free will and comfortable, but if I go to hold him he will bite me as hard as he can. So I just let him choose how much he wants to be with me.

Give it time! :) And respect the signals he sends you. Remember that you're this big scary thing that he hasn't known very long, and he just doesn't trust your yet. Keeping your movements gentle and slow helps a lot, in my experience.

If you offer your cham some food at a distance while putting your other inbetween the cham and the one with the food to require them to step onto your hand to get to it, you may get some results. I would return them to the branch soon after though until they become a little more comfortable since this will probably induce some stress.

You need to be able to associate your hand and yourself with food or something pleasant. Like Olimpia said, take it in stride because too much too fast will only help to hurt the situation.

Also, I have found that using my index finger and thumb to put slight pressure (like pinching, just don't pinch him, be gentle) right above the tail, I can coerce my cham to move. I only do this when trying to get him back into his enclosure if he doesn't want to go back in. I guess you could use this to help you move them around any way, but I wouldn't do this until they become very comfortable with you though.

I personally don't take Peppers out of his cage unless he walks out onto my hand, but he is a very friendly chameleon and barley ever refuses a little out of the cage time.

After doing some research, seems that veileds naturally are a little grumpy, and I also have a bearded dragon if I really need some herp love:) I had him out today, he was pissed, had his colors a flarin', so every time he gaped I stuck a phoenix worm in him mouth. Is this a valid technique? I love my little guy, so if I only take him out for necessities, will he be happier/healthier in the long run? Thanks so much guys, these forums are amazing.

Well, chams I am a newbie too, but bearded dragons I can help you with haha! Bearded dragons react well to slow very gentle petting and they enjoy being talked to while you sit next to them in their tank. You can get him out and sit him down next to you on the floor and feed him some worms off the floor and talk to him, but dont pressure him by forcing him to be in physical contact with you, he will only resist and gape. I have 3 beardies, I have one who bit so hard when we got her that she drew blood, So I did the steps above and she eventually grew to trust me and loved to come out and fall asleep on my chest. But you have to give it time, theres no rushing it, plus males are usually more stand offish and are quite selfish as to whats in it for me haha, so the feeding part is essential! Hope this helps:)

Back
Top Bottom