How would I handle my Chameleon

DaniSimon

So Recently Pistachio, my Chameleon has been scraping at the glass a lot in his Vivarium so I want to let him out. I've just been to a Reptile and Cham expert and he told me to attach some very rigid string from the entrance of his enclosure to somewhere where he can't get escape. For example the ceiling. Although I have been wondering, how would I get him back in his Vivarium comfortably if he escaped. This has happened a few times and he was really scared and when I tried picking him up he hissed at me sometimes and then ran off my hand really fast. How would I put him back? I've tried hand feeding and leaving my hand in the enclosure to get him used to it but anytime he sees me he just freezes. He doesn't even turn dark. So I don't know what's going on.

Please send some pics of Pistachio and his enclosure. What kinda of chameleon is Pistachio? I love the name by the way!

Thank you! He's a Veiled Cham from Saudi Arabia.
Sometimes he's a bit dark since he goes down when he's hot. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 16903740095077968783094153888754.jpg
    16903740095077968783094153888754.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 169037403276133351317512263269.jpg
    169037403276133351317512263269.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20230725_132535983~2.jpg
    PXL_20230725_132535983~2.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230724_191826381.jpg
    PXL_20230724_191826381.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 16903741749566609698426460581600.jpg
    16903741749566609698426460581600.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 16903742125258906427062974086527.jpg
    16903742125258906427062974086527.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 16903742693881172611177060416722.jpg
    16903742693881172611177060416722.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 52
I am a little concerned with your setup. Your enclosure doesn’t seem to have any screen sides for ventilation. Additionally, the UVB light and heat lamp are actually inside the enclosure.

Are you measuring temps and humidity daily?

What is the temperature at his basking branch vs the middle of his enclosure vs the temp at the bottom?

Does he have somewhere he can cool down?

What is your misting schedule?

Please I am just asking how I could pick him up comfortably I've been to a Chameleon expert and he said my setup is perfect and that the ventilation is enough. He also recommended this exact Vivarium for him since he's a Veiled Cham and he likes it hotter. The expert has had lots of Chameleons for years with barely any problems. Although my misting schedule is right after his lights turn off as recommended by the expert. I understand you're trying to help but the internet made my Chameleon lack Vitamin A.

The video that he recommended will help you build trust so you can handle him. I started letting mine climb out from a vine I attached to some plants and come closer to check me out and now he’s as comfortable as a chameleon can be with me. It’s just a slow process.

@DaniSimon I also have a Veiled - adopted as an adult. They are Grumpy by Nature, nothing motivates my guy to exit his cage. His favorite foods are grasshoppers and hornworms but they don't motivate him. 9 months in he does not exit willingly.

@DaniSimon My process for handling:
Initally, I started using 1 soft leather animal handling glove and 1 bare hand. I no longer use the glove. I lay 1 hand on a branch and nudge him forward to step on my hand. My hand on the branch is his only option. Once he has 2 feet on my fingers, I raise my hand off the branch while continuing the gentle nudge. I offer him fingers for each back foot. When each foot has a finger. I touch the tip of his tail (he curls his tail around a branch) he then releases the branch. I make sure I don't hurt his tail as I remove him from the cage. FYI - His tail has a strong grip. He whines, throws his cask aggressively, gives me the side eye but I proceed. I take him out on feeding days for natural sunlight and vertical climbing for exercise. Then back to the cage and dinner is served.
He seems to love the climbing.

You said…”I understand you're trying to help but the internet made my Chameleon lack Vitamin A”…how did your chameleon become vitamin A deficient?

Is the door to your cage glass or screen?

“Sometimes he's a bit dark since he goes down when he's hot.”

That’s not accurate. Chameleons will turn dark while basking. Dark colors absorb more energy from light and it helps them to warm up. They also turn dark when they are stressed.

On one hand you’re saying the internet made your chameleon lack vitamin A but here you are asking “the internet” for help with handling. With that logic, why don’t you ask your expert?

Hi, there is a couple things a little bit concerning about your set up. Just trying to save you from going through the troubles in the future here.

1st thing is great job on making the vivarium lush for the chameleon to hide and feel secure in, but I would exchange all the fake plants for real ones since Veileds are known to snack on plants, and that can lead to impaction if they snack on the fake ones. It seems like you have some dirt on the bottom you can make it completely 100% bioactive for the little fella.

2nd your green basking net and the basking area. I suggest you remove the green net since chameleons are know to rip their nails on those, and your basking area, make sure the you chameleon can't get climb to it since they can burn their feet grabbing on to that hot cage.

3rd the water bowl. Chameleon don't drink from standing water. There's no need to have it there.

These are a few red flags that tells me why your "expert" might not be a real expert.

Now HANDLING wise. You can do the feeding trick, like in the video link in the post. I personally don't handle or train my chameleon at all. I let it come naturally. It took me 2 years for my veiled to realized that hand = food, and now sometimes when I open her enclosure she would walk to my hand and someday she doesn't.

Also heads up if your chameleon is scraping the glass a lot, it is also a sign that something is wrong with your husbandry, because I mean all chameleon really do is bask, eat, sleep, roam for food and maybe a mate.

Hey, my cham also used to knock the glass to go out, everyday. He had a very small glass vivarium so I changed it for an XL reptibreeze and...he still wants to go out! Have you tried offering some lettuce by hand? Mines love it and he has no problems to run at me. I am also very careful with what I wear, he doesn't like me wearing bright red.

That wooden viv is a recipe for disaster, not enough ventilation and your chameleon will sooner or later contract a respiratory infection. Your "expert" clearly has no idea about the importance of ventilation to chameleons.

@DaniSimon My process for handling:
Initally, I started using 1 soft leather animal handling glove and 1 bare hand. I no longer use the glove. I lay 1 hand on a branch and nudge him forward to step on my hand. My hand on the branch is his only option. Once he has 2 feet on my fingers, I raise my hand off the branch while continuing the gentle nudge. I offer him fingers for each back foot. When each foot has a finger. I touch the tip of his tail (he curls his tail around a branch) he then releases the branch. I make sure I don't hurt his tail as I remove him from the cage. FYI - His tail has a strong grip. He whines, throws his cask aggressively, gives me the side eye but I proceed. I take him out on feeding days for natural sunlight and vertical climbing for exercise. Then back to the cage and dinner is served.
He seems to love the climbing.
overtime do they enjoy this and realize coming out=free time? or do they just slowly hate you more and more

overtime do they enjoy this and realize coming out=free time? or do they just slowly hate you more and more
I just base things on behavior. Recently, my veiled wants to spend more time free range. I take him outside for natural sunlight. When I try to return him to his enclosure he does not reach for a branch. He sits as still as a statue. That's my clue that he's not ready to return to his enclosure. I place him on a artificial tree within my eye sight. He roams until he finds a spot to sit to watch us humans. After 30 minutes - 1 hour, I take him to his enclosure where he gladly enters.

@lurker9090 @ChamelaChameleon wait till you start with a good free range setup. My chams are all living free range for at least 2 years now, and that changed their behavior completely and tolerate our presents , however I still relate this to food thriven. I can't put them in an enclosure anymore, but I'm fortunate to have a free range safe environment. Personally, I like the idea that they can choice on their own, going out of the enclosure to a small "free range" plant or branch and go back when they want to, for basking, eating and sleeping. They'll learn this quickly and it enlightens you both. Just make sure he/she can't escape it's free range area.

@lurker9090 @ChamelaChameleon wait till you start with a good free range setup. My chams are all living free range for at least 2 years now, and that changed their behavior completely and tolerate our presents , however I still relate this to food thriven. I can't put them in an enclosure anymore, but I'm fortunate to have a free range safe environment. Personally, I like the idea that they can choice on their own, going out of the enclosure to a small "free range" plant or branch and go back when they want to, for basking, eating and sleeping. They'll learn this quickly and it enlightens you both. Just make sure he/she can't escape it's free range area.
anychance I could see your free range area for inspo? im having trouble making mine escape-proof lol

anychance I could see your free range area for inspo? im having trouble making mine escape-proof lol
😅😅 it almost isn’t and normally they stop escaping after a few days. But will start again when in search for the other sex.
They need to feel safe and like it’s their best option, then they won’t escape anymore. Free range is really risky because you constantly need to be aware that a chameleon is on the loose and you or itself can’t harm them.

This is my living room setup https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/#comment-4245

And this the basement
IMG_5439.jpeg

😅😅 it almost isn’t and normally they stop escaping after a few days. But will start again when in search for the other sex.
They need to feel safe and like it’s their best option, then they won’t escape anymore. Free range is really risky because you constantly need to be aware that a chameleon is on the loose and you or itself can’t harm them.

This is my living room setup https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/free-range-inspiration.2464/#comment-4245

And this the basement
View attachment 344083
You've got a cute little lurker behind you ;)

Back
Top Bottom