territorial

alil

So my veiled has split personality. When hes in his cage he hisses and bites at me to the point of not handling him. But when I take his tree out of the cage with him on it to clean his cage he seems to grab onto my hand and climb on my arm to put him back in the cage. It is a male and I know they are territorial by nature. Anyone elses chams similar to this

My cham is exactly like that!! I had to take him to the vet a little bit ago, and I was scared because he never lets me handle him. He was really dark, hissing and lunging at me. I began to be more scared for his safety because at this point he was on top of his cage. I was able to get a stick under him, and after he was a few inches away from his cage, he lightened up, started crawling all over me! I'm trying to make his free range so he gets more used to "sharing" his territory with me. :D

How do you free range a chameleon. I am moving to a safer house all around.(out of an ancient house in the ghetto and into a decent apartment with less room to hide and better indoor climate) Maybe that will help his temperament.

How do you free range a chameleon. I am moving to a safer house all around.(out of an ancient house in the ghetto and into a decent apartment with less room to hide and better indoor climate) Maybe that will help his temperament.

There is a whole section on the forums dedicated to free ranges. Including Ideas, and answering pretty much any question yo have. :)

For now at least, and what I think I would recommend for people who haven't free ranged before, Is start to part-time free range first. That is what I'm starting to do. :D

chams are very territorial within their enclosures, usually getting calmer as soon as you take him/her out.. unless your cham is a little pr*ck like one of mine.. who would try to bite you regardless of what you do

I just don't take them out, unless I have to. They don't really like it

My cham is a lot like yours. Once he is outside he brightens up and is friendly :) I let him climb on my curtain because he enjoys it... Or he is trying to get away haha. EIther way, a free range would be your best bet for your cham to share his territory more often with you!
Good luck! :)

i must have the worlds friendliest veiled... mine doest hiss when im in his enclosure. He usually comes to me and gets on my hand unless hes busy basking then he likes to stay put. Even when i open the enclosure he will venture out and come across the room to me and hang out on me.

i have a veiled... and he loves
his bonsai trea.... trust me he loves it...
i think its his safe zone.. he sleep in it and bask in it...
how ever if i stick my hand out he doesnt come..
and ducks away... but when he comes out of it and walks to the window
of the terrarium i stick my hand out he comes... ;)
i think we all have our safe spot just like yours ;)

Back
Top Bottom