Terrible scare today

iLik3LIzards

Its sunny and 85 so I take the dude and his cage outside to catch some rays as I have been doing. I placed his plant ontop of the cage, he comes out and climbs into it and chills. Well I went inside to get water for the plant come out, hes gone, cant find em. Over two hours I spent tramplen thru my flowers, trees, hedges, you name it. I even got out the hose and started spraying everything in sight in hopes he would run or atleast move, somthin so that I could spot him. so my girlfriend gets back from her parents, I tell her, she gets all upset, takes two steps and calls me an idiot. He was in the plant the whole time. ::facepalm::

That is why you can never, ever leave them outside alone. They can and have disappeared when other forum folks had chams out alone. A lot of unhappy endings so please be careful, you were lucky this time as was your chameleon.

Thats funny. I had my cham and baby bearded dragon out last weekend and the both took off. Me and my grandson were running around like crazy afrer them.

So glad he didn't take off. I'm such a nervous nellie when I take my critters out. I even put my bearded dragaon on a leash and walk the yard with him! I take my chams out one at a time and even put a blanket around the bottom of the plant on the deck so if they accidently fall, they will have cushion. Yes, I'm a neurotic mom!!

you got lucky he didnt go for a wonder, id make sure you have everything you need outside before you take you cham out so you dont need to go back inside for anything

Are bearded dragons quick when you let them out though? When I take my cham out to clean and i put her on the bed she moves surprisingly quick for an animal that is supposed to be "slow".

You can't walk away even for a second!

I scold my husband all the time because he likes to put the chams on plants outside and then do yard work. I know he is not paying 100% attention to where the chameleon is.

I learned a long time ago EVEN if you are watching you can't be careful enough. I had a veiled years ago I put on on a tree in the yard. I was sitting just a few feet away watching. I saw him start to go down the trunk of the tree.... so I went over to it and he was GONE! Vanished! I looked EVERYWHERE.

Since then I get very nervous when the chams are outside. I never leave them unattended.

It only takes a second

Yeah def going to get the water first next time. I find it funny I looked for over 2 hours then the chicka comes back and finds it chillen in the plant I searched over a dozen times.

Yeah def going to get the water first next time. I find it funny I looked for over 2 hours then the chicka comes back and finds it chillen in the plant I searched over a dozen times.

They are good at hiding. My baby melleri was right in front of the enclosure on a scheffalara and both are green. When I would look from one side to the other he would lean so I couldn't see him. Cracked me up!

I can't imagine leaving a cham let alone a beardie outdoors without a leash or secure cage for a second! When I hear about folks putting their cham loose in a bush it just makes me cringe. Beardies are lightning fast when the impulse strikes.

Don't take chances!

I lost a veiled years ago. I went inside to get something and he was in his outdoor cage. I left the door cracked because i was coming right back out. He disapearred for two days! I found him climbing up th wood fence 2 days later. I still cant believe I found him. I was suprised a bird or cat didnt get him.

I never have my chams outside loose. I know they get less natural sunlight goodness through mesh or screen, but there's just no way for me to feel safe otherwise. I see hawks and crows flying around all the time, I just know that if I look away for a second they might be picked off. So I always have them in a space screen cage, just in case.

But thank goodness you found him safe and sound and that he didn't in fact run off somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom