Terrible aim. Not sticky Tonge

Fofo26

Hello, I'm begging for help please.

Cage Info:
Cage Type
12x12x18" Exo Terra Glass Terrarium

Lighting .
Exo terra 5.0 uvb.
30W halogen spot 1 hour on 2 hours on, energy saving 30W for lighting. 12 hours cycle

Temperature -
89 basking temp
76 lowest temp

Humidity -
60-85%
Repti fogger, turning on 15mins every hours, also a small waterfall where he drinks.

Plants -
Living plants, little bamboos, Filicopsida

Placement
Its located in an empty room, just he and my female on the other cage, no vents, big window 5 ft from them.

Location - Tucson, Az.

Chameleon Info:
Nosy Be, male, 5months aprox. One month on my own
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Just 2 times. He gets very scared and angry,
Feeding -
Crickets, 6 to 8 daily, just feed him once a day, crickets are feed with carrots and zuchinni mostly as dry folkers cricket food hi calcium

Supplements -
Repashy Calcium Plus dust on every cricket

Watering -
Repti fogger 15mins every hour, he drinks on a waterfall, yes I've seen him drinking

Fecal Description - evertuthing normal, solid and fully white, not tested for parasites
History - Not too much, just goy him for a month
Current Problem -
Terrible aim.
His aim is toooo bad, sometimes even half inch he misses, he is not used to cup feeding so I have to feed him free range.
But when he finally shot right, just pushes them off and fall, tonge is not sticky at all, I can't imagine how frustrate he feels not catching at all. He needs to bite crickets so he can eat something,
I help him cutting off almost every feet to crickets so they can't jump or run fast,
I'm getting very worried, he has almost since I got him that way.

Attachments

• 20170327_120449.jpg
    20170327_120449.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170327_120441.jpg
    20170327_120441.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 155
Just a suggestion, you should switch to a screen cage. Also, start misting instead of using the fogger. I would say try using a dripper to see if he'll drink directly or mist heavily so he can drink from the leaves. I've heard waterfalls are not so good as they can build up bacteria. Hopefully the moisture can help with the stickiness. As far as the bad aim I'm not sure, me personally I would take him to a vet. Hopefully another more established member has a better idea of what's going on.

I suggest hydration and making sure the calcium intake is high! Also make sure your UVB light is not older than 6 months old! This usually need to be replaced every 6 months!

Can you get a close up picture of his eyes? Like the pupil and general lid shape? The fact that he is actually having issues hitting his target other than just grabbing it, shows he likely has an eye issue as well.

Can you get a close up picture of his eyes? Like the pupil and general lid shape? The fact that he is actually having issues hitting his target other than just grabbing it, shows he likely has an eye issue as well.
can that also be a calcium problem or is it most likely an eye issue when this is happening? @Andee

Dont use calcium plus d3 on every feeding you need calcium without d3 and only use calcium plus 2 times amonth also i was having same problem it ended up being a vitamin problem from not gutloading properly my girl xena came and had this problem from the time i got her and couldnt extend tongue all the way so i started gutloading with bug burger and using fresh mustard greens and butternut squash and she is getting better i think its a vit A problem but not sure i just know its working she used to miss her food even at close range being she couldnt extend her tongue all the way and i also notices her eyes looked squinty but now its getting better not saying yours is same but watch the eyes they tell alot

It can be both. Eye issues are caused by calcium deficiencies as well, because Vit A and D3 are all a balance in a way. But it also can be both because his tongue is not stick and his eyes are screwed up from a vit A deficiency. Or he needs more hydration. That's why his eyes are important. Eye issues also don't have to be caused by a deficiency. It all depends on what his eyes look like in my opinion.

Dont use calcium plus d3 on every feeding you need calcium without d3 and only use calcium plus 2 times amonth also i was having same problem it ended up being a vitamin problem from not gutloading properly my girl xena came and had this problem from the time i got her and couldnt extend tongue all the way so i started gutloading with bug burger and using fresh mustard greens and butternut squash and she is getting better i think its a vit A problem but not sure i just know its working she used to miss her food even at close range being she couldnt extend her tongue all the way and i also notices her eyes looked squinty but now its getting better not saying yours is same but watch the eyes they tell alot

If you are more worried about Vit A intake but also want an all-in-one vitamin use the LoD formula, it has higher Vit A. Then supplement since she's a panther? With the calcium plus about two times a month like you say. I only use calcium plus once a week for my Jackson, while I use calcium plus every other feeding or a couple days longer without for my Panther.

Thank you
If you are more worried about Vit A intake but also want an all-in-one vitamin use the LoD formula, it has higher Vit A. Then supplement since she's a panther? With the calcium plus about two times a month like you say. I only use calcium plus once a week for my Jackson, while I use calcium plus every other feeding or a couple days longer without for my Panther.

Hello,
His tongue doesn't extend at all, just like 2 inches, I dusted daily repashy because he is 5 months old only, still growing.
Here are some pics of his eyes, it's thw closest I can get, he get's really angry. I am really worried, there are not good vets around here.
Should he take some direct sunlight?

Attachments

• 20170330_092255.jpg
    20170330_092255.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 20170330_092629.jpg
    20170330_092629.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 84
Hmmm, not a great picture so I can't give you much info. I would try doing some natural direct sun if you can, even if it's cloudy, if the ambient temp is ok then he can go out, if he gets an hour of sun a day, turn off his artificial uvb.

Back
Top Bottom