Temps way too high!!!!

noob

Hey i have just got a deremensis and am having an impossible time getting his cage down to the proper temps, its always 70 ish at night, almost 8u0 during the day
i have a cool humidifier vented directly into his cage even running at full i cant get the temp down,, and i heard fans dry out too much

Any ideas?

ummm... not to be mean but a lower wattage bulb would help. in the mean time raise the bulb higher from the cage

Thats not being mean i have him on a 20 w repti sun 5.0 right now which really doesnt emit heat and i havent set a basking spot yet due to the heat being too high,,, as it is now its night time its 0 degrees outside i have thwe window open humidifier on,, still 70 degrees!

My main problemis i have other reptiles in the room which emits heat

My main problemis i have other reptiles in the room which emits heat

Yeah, i could see that being a problem. Is moving the chameleon to a separate room a possibility? If not, i would increase mistings, that could cool down the cage just a little.

Yeah iwish i could but my place is too small i will increase mistings but i was told that misting at night is a bad idea,, why is that?

uhhh....... can you keep him in the bathroom during the day?? and the window is open during the day and you get 70 degrees or you get 80 during the day with the window open??

Yeah iwish i could but my place is too small i will increase mistings but i was told that misting at night is a bad idea,, why is that?

Because the chameleon is unable to dry off and has water sitting on it all night, and in the cage, in short, it can cause respritory infection and some type of skin disease I believe.

I started to type a legnthy response about possible ways to exhaust and control pressure relationships between the room and outdoors to drop temps. Then realized any control system (such as fans and pressure differentials) would not be a solution because they would constantly need to be adjusted based on outdoor conditions and therefore not a sustainable approach. The only viable control would be a thermostat controled exhaust for the room.

I think the hard reality here is if you have 0 degrees outdoors and 70 degrees indoors with the windows open then there is way too much heat load for the size of the room. Either increase room size and/or decrease heat load (or design and instal a thermostat controled exhaust system). I have no other ideas on this.

Edit - Just noticed the bathroom post. Try turning on all the exhausts in the home (bathroom/kitchen or what ever you have) and see what happens. This should create a negative pressure in the rooms with the exhausts causing replacement air to be drawn through the open window and cooling the cham room a bit. Problem with this is you'll need to constantly keep an eye on things and work in a system to dial in the right temps (which will change with the seasons and outdoor temps). Really need close monitoring to start to make sure the temp. drop is not too dramatic and you freeze your guy. Also there will be an energy penalty - if your heating costs are high this is one way to make them much higher.

yeah his heat is getting a lil better but still not perfect he has been under eating and i wonder if its because of the heat?

Im just going to get my snakes some plastic cages so they retain heat better without warming the room

yeah his heat is getting a lil better but still not perfect he has been under eating and i wonder if its because of the heat?

Im just going to get my snakes some plastic cages so they retain heat better without warming the room

I think this is your best option. Change the heat setups that you have for your snakes so that the ambient temperature in the room isn't so high.

Back
Top Bottom