Temps/humidity

Hello,

My digital gauge broke today. Somehow got water inside an readings are oddly strange. I use a temp gun to test temps even lately with temps being bipolar outside.
Whats a good device or way to read humidity at the top an bottom of enclosure. My panther chameleon is mid to high level of enclosure. Rarely see him at the bottom. Just want keep his humidity 60-80 range best i can do with my current setup.

I use combination hygrometer/thermometers with probes. The probe leads are long enough to put the probe inside the enclosure, but keep the unit/readout outside the enclosure (and dry).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That particular unit seems to be sold out ATM, but there are others, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Rojuna-Hygro...LVQK/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08K8WLVQK&psc=1
Thanks didn't think of a probe with using a hybrid reptibreeze for baby panther. Had another question. I didn't know you have to keep humidity up while lights are off for sleeping pattern. Is it ok to put a repti fogger or any type fogger inside the enclosure. I have it set on a timer that the fogger will go off when lights come on. Will post a photo of how I have it.

Attachments

• 20210506_003540.jpg
    20210506_003540.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 84
Thanks didn't think of a probe with using a hybrid reptibreeze for baby panther. Had another question. I didn't know you have to keep humidity up while lights are off for sleeping pattern. Is it ok to put a repti fogger or any type fogger inside the enclosure. I have it set on a timer that the fogger will go off when lights come on. Will post a photo of how I have it.
I see your humidifier has a tube extension. It would be better to keep the unit outside and just have the tube set to ’blow’ the mist against the side. Just make sure you’re using cool mist and night time temps are cooler. While I’m sure everyone has their own ways of doing things, I would say to only use the night time humidifier for a few hours and make sure it goes off a few hours before lights on.
This simulates the natural fog conditions of the wild, which help hydrate our chams. As they breathe, they are taking in the cool mist.

I see your humidifier has a tube extension. It would be better to keep the unit outside and just have the tube set to ’blow’ the mist against the side. Just make sure you’re using cool mist and night time temps are cooler. While I’m sure everyone has their own ways of doing things, I would say to only use the night time humidifier for a few hours and make sure it goes off a few hours before lights on.
This simulates the natural fog conditions of the wild, which help hydrate our chams. As they breathe, they are taking in the cool mist.
I moved the humidifier outside the enclosure. Just can't leave it on long. Its against the mesh side an will dip an rust. Its by the potho plant to maybe help plant also not sure. All my potho need be repotted roots coming from bottoms. Just wanted offer some humidity while he sleeps. Currently shedding around the eyes. Have figure out a baby panthers basking temps. Currently around 85 degrees. Corner to corner reptisun t5 ho bulb not a 10. Added some fake foliage to hold water at the top. Been cup feeding crickets. Where I use calcium without d3 an let crickets climb from cup to free roam.

I moved the humidifier outside the enclosure. Just can't leave it on long. Its against the mesh side an will dip an rust. Its by the potho plant to maybe help plant also not sure. All my potho need be repotted roots coming from bottoms. Just wanted offer some humidity while he sleeps. Currently shedding around the eyes. Have figure out a baby panthers basking temps. Currently around 85 degrees. Corner to corner reptisun t5 ho bulb not a 10. Added some fake foliage to hold water at the top. Been cup feeding crickets. Where I use calcium without d3 an let crickets climb from cup to free roam.
Basking temps for babies should stay around 80. If he’s a screen climber, it would be best to raise your basking light above the screen to prevent burns.
What strength is your uvb? If it’s a 5.0 or 6%, it should be about 8” above basking area. If 10.0 or 12%, it will need to be about 12” above basking area.
Just to be safe, leave a small piece of greens or something for the crickets to eat in your enclosure. If one avoids being eaten, it could bite your chameleon.
What other supplements are you using and what is your schedule for them?

Basking temps for babies should stay around 80. If he’s a screen climber, it would be best to raise your basking light above the screen to prevent burns.
What strength is your uvb? If it’s a 5.0 or 6%, it should be about 8” above basking area. If 10.0 or 12%, it will need to be about 12” above basking area.
Just to be safe, leave a small piece of greens or something for the crickets to eat in your enclosure. If one avoids being eaten, it could bite your chameleon.
What other supplements are you using and what is your schedule for them?
I can raise the fixture just have figure out how keep it half inch from mesh leveled. I'll attach a photo of my lighting placement. Its a 5.0. I'll add a green collard. I use calcium without d3 every feeding. 1st an mid month with the herbivite with d3. I have calcium with d3 but easier use herbivite.

Attachments

• 20210506_044947.jpg
    20210506_044947.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210506_023630.jpg
    20210506_023630.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 86
I can raise the fixture just have figure out how keep it half inch from mesh leveled. I'll attach a photo of my lighting placement. Its a 5.0.
To raise UVB ½", See: Simple UVB fixture supports

To raise Basking ½", the bracket MissSkittles mentioned will work, but since (as shown in her link) the light/dome just hangs straight down, it doesn't allow for aiming the beam. This is one reason I like clamp light fixtures; with or without the dome (the dome can be unscrewed), clamp-on fixtures can be aimed to produce an elliptical gradient rather than straight up & down circle w/ constant temperature.

1620307146942.png

Last edited:
So you need to raise uvb an heat fixture off the mesh? I use a deep dome type fixture for heat. Post a photo of the fixture an top view.

Attachments

• 20210506_184054.jpg
    20210506_184054.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210506_184357.jpg
    20210506_184357.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 71
I cut two storage bags make them long. Should be safe for the cham right? Just thought be easier then a shower curtain. So back is covered 90% of front. An right side covered. Left is full screen for air flow. Trying keep humidity up more. Other then cage drying out in about hour after misting.

Attachments

• 20210507_230314.jpg
    20210507_230314.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 68
Hello,

My digital gauge broke today. Somehow got water inside an readings are oddly strange. I use a temp gun to test temps even lately with temps being bipolar outside.
Whats a good device or way to read humidity at the top an bottom of enclosure. My panther chameleon is mid to high level of enclosure. Rarely see him at the bottom. Just want keep his humidity 60-80 range best i can do with my current setup.
Follow this method right here https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/

You might want to actually try and add a good amount of live plants instead of the fake plastic ones as well. This will naturally help you raise and maintain higher humidity levels if you're having trouble keeping them constant and up.

Follow this method right here https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/

You might want to actually try and add a good amount of live plants instead of the fake plastic ones as well. This will naturally help you raise and maintain higher humidity levels if you're having trouble keeping them constant and up.
I have two real plants in the enclosure potho an a spider plant. Can add another potho but giving the other one space to grow. It just started a few new growth. Will check out the link.

Back
Top Bottom