Temperatures

Freedom1

I own a female veiled chameleon that is about 3 years old (don't know exact age). In the past winters I've had no problem keeping her basking spot at 80 degrees F, but this winter I noticed that it started to drop to even the lower 70s :oops: So I put in another 75 watt incandescent light bulb and her temps raised to 78 degrees. Still a bit lower than I wanted it, so every now and then I turn on a heater in the room( which I know dries out the cage a bit so I have to mist more frequently). Finally with the heater and the two bulbs I reached temps of 80-81 degrees F. Maybe my thermometer is broken? Do you normally need to use two bulbs + heater to get proper basking temperatures? I've never had this problem before. I ordered another temperature gun, but in the meantime I put my hand near her basking spot to make sure that it wasn't too hot. Also, any tips on keeping plants alive in the winter are greatly appreciated. I had to go out and buy all new plants for the cage because they all died 😅. I bought another plant bulb to put on top of the cage as well. I'm excited though to add in the new plants. I now have a golden pothos, 2 jade pothos, wandering jew plant, Monstera Deliciosia, Croton, and Spider plant. (I'm also growing a money tree and snake plant as I want them to be a bit bigger before I put them in the cage)

Also, in one of my previous posts I wrote about her biting her own tongue after mistaking something for food. Ever since then her tongue hasn't quite moved the same. It's slower now and less accurate. Do some tongues never completely heal from certain injuries? I would suspect MBD if it weren't for her damaging her tongue a few months ago. (I also dust food without D3 every feeding except for twice a month when I dust with Reptivite multivitamins with D3)

I own a female veiled chameleon that is about 3 years old (don't know exact age). In the past winters I've had no problem keeping her basking spot at 80 degrees F, but this winter I noticed that it started to drop to even the lower 70s :oops: So I put in another 75 watt incandescent light bulb and her temps raised to 78 degrees. Still a bit lower than I wanted it, so every now and then I turn on a heater in the room( which I know dries out the cage a bit so I have to mist more frequently). Finally with the heater and the two bulbs I reached temps of 80-81 degrees F. Maybe my thermometer is broken? Do you normally need to use two bulbs + heater to get proper basking temperatures? I've never had this problem before. I ordered another temperature gun, but in the meantime I put my hand near her basking spot to make sure that it wasn't too hot. Also, any tips on keeping plants alive in the winter are greatly appreciated. I had to go out and buy all new plants for the cage because they all died 😅. I bought another plant bulb to put on top of the cage as well. I'm excited though to add in the new plants. I now have a golden pothos, 2 jade pothos, wandering jew plant, Monstera Deliciosia, Croton, and Spider plant. (I'm also growing a money tree and snake plant as I want them to be a bit bigger before I put them in the cage)

Also, in one of my previous posts I wrote about her biting her own tongue after mistaking something for food. Ever since then her tongue hasn't quite moved the same. It's slower now and less accurate. Do some tongues never completely heal from certain injuries? I would suspect MBD if it weren't for her damaging her tongue a few months ago. (I also dust food without D3 every feeding except for twice a month when I dust with Reptivite multivitamins with D3)
So your ambient temps will effect a basking temp if your not utilizing a hybrid style cage. Screen cages are harder to regulate temps. But how are you checking your basking? 150watts worth of bulbs as a heat source is excessive. A female should be kept no hotter than 78-80 then your adjusting food amounts as well. So no more than 3 medium feeders 3 days a week.

MBD can be an issue if UVB lighting and supplementation were not correct when she was younger. Tongue injuries do not always heal correctly. Depending on the part that actually got injured.

Right two basking bulbs is too much. How far from your basking branch is your basking bulb. I personally use a 65 watt and have it 8 inches away from basking branch to get an 82 degree basking spot. It drops in winter season but I really dont change a thing. Sometimes move cage to warmer area of house

Low 70's is too cool but I wouldn't fret over a few degrees being off. In other words, if it's 79 degrees and you want 83 degrees, don't sweat it. IRL, they don't get the ideal temps every day in the wild.
+1. Also, the numbers that we strive for are averages (like climatological data). There are—of course—limits and ranges we try to stay within as best as we can, but even the best digital hygrometers/thermometers can be ± 1-2 degrees or percent.

Back
Top Bottom