Temperature

ReptileGirl111

Ok, It's hot now because it's summer but what about winter whats the best way to keep his cage warm to where it should be?
Any suggestions?
-Aimee:)

What kind of chameleon? Some people use sheets of plastic others use cut pieces of plywood anything that will allow the heat to build up to proper temp.

I switch bulbs with the seasons. I only go up 25w. You may have to do a little more or less. Just wait tell it starts to cool and experiment with then.

A cage in a corner will restrict air flow some what. Which in turn can help heat the cage a bit. Placing something like cardboard or plastic on a couple of the sides can accomplish this too.

Keeping the room door shut will help too. The hot air blowing in the room will not leak out into the house as fast. The thermostat will not take the room door being shut into the equation and run a little longer or turn on a few more times in a day because of this.

My ambient temperatures do drop slightly in the coldest months. I see a little more basking but nothing big.

No thanks, Karebear. It only gets in the 20's-30's*F about two to three months out of the year around here. The rest of the time it is pretty tropical. Nothing like jumping in the river when it is 96*F with 100% humidity. Ah, I love these summer days.

Night time temps for veiled should be between 64 and 67 degrees.
They can tolerate temps into the 50's but mid 60's in recommended.
I keep an electric space heater in the basement and set the thermostat at 65
for night and 72 for day during the winter.

-Brad

Yeah but im in the desert and my house does't have very good heating so im thinking during the day lights on and at night when it starts to get cold might have to whip out the heating blanket for him and just set it on low and put it over the tank but leave a little area for air to get in.

No.
it's a screen cage, which screen cages don't hold heat very well. My room is about 50*degrees w/ heater on and about 40*degrees w/ out it... but I could possible be wrong, im just worrying because last winter was rough with my bearded dragons. I was up every couple of hours warming there rice bags up to keep them from freezing.

Well you certainly don't want anyone to freeze!
I suggest a space heater (one that you plug into the wall)
They're not very expensive. Get one with a thermostat. Setting it even at
60 degrees for night will be fine.
For chameleons it is not recommend to use a red heat lamp or any kind of heating pad.
They really do require a significant drop in temp at night
You might try a night time heat lamp for your dragons though.

-Brad

Well I would say the cheapest and actually a very efficient way to heat the Chams Cage is with lights, like a couple of people said here. I certainly would try to avoid space heaters cuz they can seriously dry out a room and they do it very fast. I wouldn't worry to much about the temp of the room that the cage is in unless it is some really extreme temp. If you feel a light bulb they get really fricken hot and if your cage is not the size of a room then a couple bulbs in the right places can drastically increase the temp of a small-medium sized enclosure.

I do this kind of stuff for a living (not for chams but for people).

For the night they sell lightless heat bulbs (not red) they are ceramic or something. I am not sure how much power they suck though.

Last edited:
We are talking about creating an ambient temp that is suitable for night.
Heating the enclosure with any kind of bulb, lamp or pad is not (in my opinion) the way to go.
Creating a comfortable but cool ambient temp for the room the enclosure is in
is more ideal.
The electric space heater works very well for this job.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom