temperature gradients

rullom

My cage is 36wide by 36high and 18deep - basking with 75w is 85-90 at far left but bottom of cage is 60 including far right of cage. I was thinking of adding a second heat lamp on the right side since branches aren't as high to increase heat to the cage. Any suggestion? Its in my basement which is 60 ambient. Would you consider an under cage heater or will this mess up gradients since ground would get too warm?

My cage is 36wide by 36high and 18deep - basking with 75w is 85-90 at far left but bottom of cage is 60 including far right of cage. I was thinking of adding a second heat lamp on the right side since branches aren't as high to increase heat to the cage. Any suggestion? Its in my basement which is 60 ambient. Would you consider an under cage heater or will this mess up gradients since ground would get too warm?
what species are you working with in this cage? How are you measuring your temps?
No under the cage heating at all. Screws up gradients in a cage. And is not recommended for chams.

I’ve never kept a panther but I feel like it’d just be easier to raise the room temps as a whole or possibly a ceramic heat emitter set on a thermostat to regulate its temp

panther; measuring with thermo probe and IR laser
I would raise the ambient temp in the room. 60 ambient for a panther all the time is very low. Your looking more for 70 ambient at the bottom of the cage. Basking for a baby should not be hotter than 80 and then an adult male would be 85 max. Only one basking side. They need to be able to move out of the heat at the top. Most chams will stay on the top level during the day even if it is too hot for them.

Back
Top Bottom