Veiled chameleon enclosure help

cammo01

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong thread im kind of new to this forum !

I got a bigger cage and a bigger uvb/heatlamp for my veiled chamelion. It's a 36×18×36 with mesh sides and top.

just today he's started "gaping", or sitting there with his mouth open for a little bit. The basking spot were they like to sit is at 90 degrees, but I read it's supposed to be 80-85. Humidity is roughly 50. I'm assuming I need to lower the temperature, but not sure the best way. It is a little bit hotter of a day, but it's the start of summer and want to make sure their comfy.

Should I:
Lower their perch
Get a lower watt bulb (currently 75)
Get a different lamp setup all together ?

The heating setup right now is one long uvb bulb, one 75 w heat lamp near the first perch. One heat lamp + uvb combo near the second perch.

Any help would mean a ton !!

Attachments

• 20240525_163710.jpg
    20240525_163710.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240525_163659.jpg
    20240525_163659.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 7
Others are going to chime in but just at a glance yes you’ll need a different lamp setup entirely. Along with a lot of other adjustments.

@MissSkittles can probably provide you with a lot more insight than me. She helped me make a bunch of corrections to my husbandry.

At a glance I can say without too much effort:

Not enough spaces to climb

Not enough foliage (live plants preferred especially with veileds as they are plant eaters you risk compaction with plastic ones)

The slimline by zilla uvb strip you’re running doesn’t provide adequate uvb - this is an error I made myself with my lighting,

If you fill out the husbandry form someone with more knowledge than me will have an easier time pointing you in the right direction.

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Please fill out this form and we can help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, I am uncertain of the sex, about 6 months old, has been in my care for about a month
Handling - a couple of times a week
Feeding - Feeding 10 large crickets with calcium powered (which have calcium power and water gel), 5 large mealworms, not sure what gut-loading is. Feedings in the morning
Supplements - Using Flucker's calcium powder, also put a fair amount in the crickets cage every few days
Watering - I used to use a dripper, but wasn't seeing my chameleon drink too much, since getting a repti-zoo water circulator I have seen them drink much more often. I mist twice a day, but have a mist system coming in the mail to do this automatically.
Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites but recently came back from the vets for a cist on the eye, the fecal matter seems normal with some white parts and usually a brown turd. Sorry not sure what else to call it!
History - I bought this veiled from Petco, and had to bring him to the vet for nose disharge, the vet assumes that was just shedding that I was freaking out about, but they lanced a cyst on his eye lid while he was there and was getting drops by the vet for about a month. That seems to have healed well. He was in a smaller cage and grew much quicker than expected, so I got him this cage recently.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36X18X36, mesh sides. glass front and back, mesh top. It was the TRex cage on Petco's website.
Lighting - Using a Zilla slime line tropical fixture for UVB, with a combo unit that I bought a while ago and cant remember the name of but is uvb and heat that I had left over from the smaller cage. I also have a flucker's heat lamp and 75w bulb. I start the lights at 6 am and turn them off at 6pm.
Temperature - basking spot is roughly 90 degrees, I just got the cage and noticed this issue so haven't seen it over night. I am going to get a temp gun but for right now I just have a temp sensor at the basking spot.
Humidity - Levels are at 50 throughout the day and I havent seen this cage at night so not sure what it will be at night, but I am misting and getting a mister system to maintain the humidity. I use a humidity sensor from petco.
Plants - I want to now that I have read some of the comments switch to live plants, but not sure what kinds to use. I currently use plastic plants
Placement - Its by a window in the corner of my room. not in front of a window but to the right of it. The top of the cage is about 6ft from the floor.
Location - I'm located in Massachuesets, USA

Current Problem - Chameleon is "gaping" , I'm assuming from the heat. Want to make sure I'm doing all I can to make this guy happy and healthy, but its seems i've made a lot of mistakes so far and that's worrying me.

Thank you for all the quick messages and everything, any help is greatly appreciated !

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, I am uncertain of the sex, about 6 months old, has been in my care for about a month
Handling - a couple of times a week
Feeding - Feeding 10 large crickets with calcium powered (which have calcium power and water gel), 5 large mealworms, not sure what gut-loading is. Feedings in the morning
Supplements - Using Flucker's calcium powder, also put a fair amount in the crickets cage every few days
Watering - I used to use a dripper, but wasn't seeing my chameleon drink too much, since getting a repti-zoo water circulator I have seen them drink much more often. I mist twice a day, but have a mist system coming in the mail to do this automatically.
Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites but recently came back from the vets for a cist on the eye, the fecal matter seems normal with some white parts and usually a brown turd. Sorry not sure what else to call it!
History - I bought this veiled from Petco, and had to bring him to the vet for nose disharge, the vet assumes that was just shedding that I was freaking out about, but they lanced a cyst on his eye lid while he was there and was getting drops by the vet for about a month. That seems to have healed well. He was in a smaller cage and grew much quicker than expected, so I got him this cage recently.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36X18X36, mesh sides. glass front and back, mesh top. It was the TRex cage on Petco's website.
Lighting - Using a Zilla slime line tropical fixture for UVB, with a combo unit that I bought a while ago and cant remember the name of but is uvb and heat that I had left over from the smaller cage. I also have a flucker's heat lamp and 75w bulb. I start the lights at 6 am and turn them off at 6pm.
Temperature - basking spot is roughly 90 degrees, I just got the cage and noticed this issue so haven't seen it over night. I am going to get a temp gun but for right now I just have a temp sensor at the basking spot.
Humidity - Levels are at 50 throughout the day and I havent seen this cage at night so not sure what it will be at night, but I am misting and getting a mister system to maintain the humidity. I use a humidity sensor from petco.
Plants - I want to now that I have read some of the comments switch to live plants, but not sure what kinds to use. I currently use plastic plants
Placement - Its by a window in the corner of my room. not in front of a window but to the right of it. The top of the cage is about 6ft from the floor.

Current Problem - Chameleon is "gaping" , I'm assuming from the heat. Want to make sure I'm doing all I can to make this guy happy and healthy, but its seems i've made a lot of mistakes so far and that's worrying me.

Thank you for all the quick messages and everything, any help is greatly appreciated !
Are you able to take photos of your chameleon back feet? To determine gender we see if they have spurs or not. As of right now my guess is maybe a girl

Are you able to take photos of your chameleon back feet? To determine gender we see if they have spurs or not. As of right now my guess is maybe a girl
Are these good enough ?

Attachments

• 20240525_190421.jpg
    20240525_190421.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240525_190253.jpg
    20240525_190253.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
Hello and warmest welcomes to you! Give me a minute to go through your husbandry :). Also, based on the photos you shared of your chameleon's back feet I'd say you have a lovely little girl. Congrats!

See my answers in Bold

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, I am uncertain of the sex, about 6 months old, has been in my care for about a month. As I mentioned before I believe you have a girl based on the photos you shared. Males have spurs, or little nubs on the backs of their feet. At her age you will need to get a lay bin for your girl in her enclosure ASAP, female veiled chameleons will start to develop eggs within the first year or less. They will lay unfertilized eggs much like chickens do so you'll need a laybin in her enclosure at all times. More on that later.....
Handling - a couple of times a week. I would suggest not often handling your chameleon. They tend to by shy lizards and do not enjoy us handling them often. If your girl does seem 'friendly' I would suspect that is due to her current enclosure set up and once you have things adjusted for her needs she may not continue to try to come out of her enclosure. View her more like a pet fish, take care of her environment and enjoy watching her in her enclosure. I only take my chams out for a physical check to ensure all is well, for vet visits, when I'm deep cleaning their enclosure and for some supervised outside time, just to give you a general idea.
Feeding - Feeding 10 large crickets with calcium powered (which have calcium power and water gel), 5 large mealworms, not sure what gut-loading is. Feedings in the morning. At her age I believe you will want to be feeding her far less. The more food females get combined with high temps the more eggs their little bodies develop. You'll want to put her on a diet which is 3-4 small feeders every other day. I'll let @MissSkittles correct me on any errors I've communicated regarding how much to feed her due to her age, I only have 1 female veiled and Miss Skittles has far more experience than I do.
Supplements - Using Flucker's calcium powder, also put a fair amount in the crickets cage every few days. Can you share a photo of your calcium? You'll also need to feed your girl a multivitamin and a D3 supplement. I really like the Repashy LoD, this contains the vitamins and D3 your girl needs. Dust it on her feeders on the 1st and 15th of each month, the rest of her feedings keep using the calcium w/o D3 :)
Watering - I used to use a dripper, but wasn't seeing my chameleon drink too much, since getting a repti-zoo water circulator I have seen them drink much more often. I mist twice a day, but have a mist system coming in the mail to do this automatically. I had the same water circulator. Unfortunately this thing is known to harbor bacteria and chameleons are known to poop in it. My preferred method to hydrate my chameleons is through an automatic mister, installing a dripper in the middle of the day and a fog machine at night. I'll share my hydration schedule below for you in case you find it helpful.
7:50 - mist for 4 min
8:00 - lights on
3:00 - dripper installed over a leaf, I watch the chameleon to see if they rush to drink, if they do I know my hydration method needs to be adjusted
7:45 - mist for 4 min
8:00 - lights out
9:00 - mist 1 min
11:00 - 6:00 am - fog - the goal is to get as close as 100% humidity in their enclosure at night as possible. In the wild chameleons get their hydration through the fog banks that roll in in the early morning. Please note that if you live in a place where you cannot get the enclosure night temps at 68 degrees or lower, you should not fog.

Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites but recently came back from the vets for a cist on the eye, the fecal matter seems normal with some white parts and usually a brown turd. Sorry not sure what else to call it! This is another way that I monitor hydration is through the poop. You want the urates (chameleon pee) to be at least 50% white and the poop (brown part) to be moist but still hold its shape. I would strongly recommend getting your girl tested for parasites so if she has anything nasty you can get ahead of it before its a big problem.
History - I bought this veiled from Petco, and had to bring him to the vet for nose disharge, the vet assumes that was just shedding that I was freaking out about, but they lanced a cyst on his eye lid while he was there and was getting drops by the vet for about a month. That seems to have healed well. He was in a smaller cage and grew much quicker than expected, so I got him this cage recently. Yep thats a veiled for you :)

See my answers in Bold

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, I am uncertain of the sex, about 6 months old, has been in my care for about a month. As I mentioned before I believe you have a girl based on the photos you shared. Males have spurs, or little nubs on the backs of their feet. At her age you will need to get a lay bin for your girl in her enclosure ASAP, female veiled chameleons will start to develop eggs within the first year or less. They will lay unfertilized eggs much like chickens do so you'll need a laybin in her enclosure at all times. More on that later.....
Handling - a couple of times a week. I would suggest not often handling your chameleon. They tend to by shy lizards and do not enjoy us handling them often. If your girl does seem 'friendly' I would suspect that is due to her current enclosure set up and once you have things adjusted for her needs she may not continue to try to come out of her enclosure. View her more like a pet fish, take care of her environment and enjoy watching her in her enclosure. I only take my chams out for a physical check to ensure all is well, for vet visits, when I'm deep cleaning their enclosure and for some supervised outside time, just to give you a general idea.
Feeding - Feeding 10 large crickets with calcium powered (which have calcium power and water gel), 5 large mealworms, not sure what gut-loading is. Feedings in the morning. At her age I believe you will want to be feeding her far less. The more food females get combined with high temps the more eggs their little bodies develop. You'll want to put her on a diet which is 3-4 small feeders every other day. I'll let @MissSkittles correct me on any errors I've communicated regarding how much to feed her due to her age, I only have 1 female veiled and Miss Skittles has far more experience than I do.
Supplements - Using Flucker's calcium powder, also put a fair amount in the crickets cage every few days. Can you share a photo of your calcium? You'll also need to feed your girl a multivitamin and a D3 supplement. I really like the Repashy LoD, this contains the vitamins and D3 your girl needs. Dust it on her feeders on the 1st and 15th of each month, the rest of her feedings keep using the calcium w/o D3 :)
Watering - I used to use a dripper, but wasn't seeing my chameleon drink too much, since getting a repti-zoo water circulator I have seen them drink much more often. I mist twice a day, but have a mist system coming in the mail to do this automatically. I had the same water circulator. Unfortunately this thing is known to harbor bacteria and chameleons are known to poop in it. My preferred method to hydrate my chameleons is through an automatic mister, installing a dripper in the middle of the day and a fog machine at night. I'll share my hydration schedule below for you in case you find it helpful.
7:50 - mist for 4 min
8:00 - lights on
3:00 - dripper installed over a leaf, I watch the chameleon to see if they rush to drink, if they do I know my hydration method needs to be adjusted
7:45 - mist for 4 min
8:00 - lights out
9:00 - mist 1 min
11:00 - 6:00 am - fog - the goal is to get as close as 100% humidity in their enclosure at night as possible. In the wild chameleons get their hydration through the fog banks that roll in in the early morning. Please note that if you live in a place where you cannot get the enclosure night temps at 68 degrees or lower, you should not fog.

Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites but recently came back from the vets for a cist on the eye, the fecal matter seems normal with some white parts and usually a brown turd. Sorry not sure what else to call it! This is another way that I monitor hydration is through the poop. You want the urates (chameleon pee) to be at least 50% white and the poop (brown part) to be moist but still hold its shape. I would strongly recommend getting your girl tested for parasites so if she has anything nasty you can get ahead of it before its a big problem.
History - I bought this veiled from Petco, and had to bring him to the vet for nose disharge, the vet assumes that was just shedding that I was freaking out about, but they lanced a cyst on his eye lid while he was there and was getting drops by the vet for about a month. That seems to have healed well. He was in a smaller cage and grew much quicker than expected, so I got him this cage recently. Yep thats a veiled for you :)
Thanks for getting through that so quickly !

I clearly have a lot to change, Do you have any recommendations for a laybin and a mister and fog machine ?
I'll order those supplements now!
I'll definitely stop handling her so much, and feeding her so much, thank you!

I really appreciate all this, thank you!

Do you have any recommendations on the light situation? A user said that my UVB bulb wasn't good enough, do you have any recommendations on lighting ?

Sorry for asking so many questions! Thanks again !

Attachments

• calcium.jpg
    calcium.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
Cage Info:
Cage Type - 36X18X36, mesh sides. glass front and back, mesh top. It was the TRex cage on Petco's website. Fantastic!!!
Lighting - Using a Zilla slime line tropical fixture for UVB, with a combo unit that I bought a while ago and cant remember the name of but is uvb and heat that I had left over from the smaller cage. I also have a flucker's heat lamp and 75w bulb. I start the lights at 6 am and turn them off at 6pm. Your baby girl is going to need much more UVB unfortunately. You'll want her UVB light to go the whole length of her enclosure. You can get a good hood and light at Light Your Reptiles. You need a T5HO linear UVB hood and either an Arcadia 6% UVB linear light OR a ReptiSun 5.0. The Arcadia should be replaced every year, the ReptiSun should be replaced every 6 months. If you have the funds for a Solarmeter I strongly recommend it so you can check your girls UVB levels monthly to ensure everything is working well both with the hood and the light. Your baby will need a UVB reading of 3.0 at her top branch, make sure you have at least 1 branch running linear underneath her UVB light, if you don't have a Solarmeter to check how far below her branch needs to be for a 3.0 UVB reading you can measure this with a ruler about 9 inches or so below the branch.
Temperature - basking spot is roughly 90 degrees, I just got the cage and noticed this issue so haven't seen it over night. I am going to get a temp gun but for right now I just have a temp sensor at the basking spot. 90 degrees is super hot for your little girl. Due to high amounts of food and high temps supercharging her body to make more eggs than necessary, you'll want to make sure that her basking temp does not go above 80 degrees. I measure all my temps and humidity levels with these Govee hygrometers. They are absolutely amazing and super accurate, just make sure they do not get misted directly. The ambient temps of the rest of her enclosure you will want to have a gradient for her so she can choose what temps to be at and still be comfortable, 78 degrees to 72 degrees is perfect for her :)
Humidity - Levels are at 50 throughout the day and I havent seen this cage at night so not sure what it will be at night, but I am misting and getting a mister system to maintain the humidity. I use a humidity sensor from petco. I don't love the humidity or temp readers from Petco, they aren't super accurate TBH. Humidity levels for your lady during the day you will want to be around 40-50% so great job on that :). At night as I mentioned before you will want to get as close as 100% humidity as possible. If you are semi-handy and want the best fogger you could ever imagine then I'd suggest putting together a Fogfather fogger, they work SUPER well! If you are like me and do not have a handy bone in your body, you can get something like this fogger here, I have one of these too and I prefer them over other ones I have tried in the past.
Plants - I want to now that I have read some of the comments switch to live plants, but not sure what kinds to use. I currently use plastic plants. You will want to get your baby real plants asap. Veiled chameleons are known plant eaters and if she takes a nibble on a plastic plant it could cause impaction. I have had great success with pothos, philodendron, Polka dot plants and hoya. You can buy plants from Walmart or Home Depot, wash the leaves and stems off with soap and water and you'll also want to rinse all the store dirt off down to the roots. Repot them in some organic soil that does not have vermiculite or those fertilizer balls, those would not be good for your chameleon to eat either. You basically want enough foliage that your chameleon can hide behind and feel safe. A good rule of thumb is if you can look in your enclosure and instantly spot your chameleon, you do not have enough plants in there. I'll attach a list of plants we know are safe for your chameleon for you to review. Next lets talk about branches, your cham is going to need many many more branches. You can get these from outside, just do not use branches from sap producing trees such as pine. Stick them in your bath tub, scrub them down with soap and hot water and rinse like crazy. You can attach the branches with zip ties, cut off the extra ends and use a lighter to melt the sharp edges. Where the sides of your enclosure are screen and the front/back is glass you'll need to get creative with what method you use to attach branches. I think using some lattice from Home Depot may serve you well. @MissSkittles uses this as well, I'll let her give you some guidance on that since I have never done it before.
Placement - Its by a window in the corner of my room. not in front of a window but to the right of it. The top of the cage is about 6ft from the floor. Just be cautious, the sun coming in from the window could heat up temps in your enclosure so just keep a super close eye on this, if it does you may have to move her. And great for how high she is from the floor! Height equals safety to chameleons. All my enclosures are set up so that the tops of their branches are above my head.

Current Problem - Chameleon is "gaping" , I'm assuming from the heat. Want to make sure I'm doing all I can to make this guy happy and healthy, but its seems i've made a lot of mistakes so far and that's worrying me. My guess is she is too hot, when you turn off the heat lamp does the gaping stop? And please don't beat yourself up on anything you need to adjust for your girl, we all had to start somewhere and I think you will find that this is a very kind community. Everyone on here wants to help. Please reach out with any questions or concerns :)

Attachments

• Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Plants.png
    Plants.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Safe Plants.pdf
    544 KB · Views: 7

I clearly have a lot to change, Do you have any recommendations for a laybin and a mister and fog machine ?

Do you have any recommendations on the light situation? A user said that my UVB bulb wasn't good enough, do you have any recommendations on lighting ?

For lighting you should have a T5 HO either the Arcadia 6% or the reptisun 5.0 For a misting system the most highly recommended one is a Mistking.

I forgot to mention different types of feeders and gut load. You'll want to give yoru girl a variety. I do grasshoppers, dubia roaches, crickets, silkworms, BSFL, house flies, blue bottle flies, and then wax worms and horn worms as treats on Saturday. My feeding schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Friday (a variety of the above mentioned bugs) and then Saturday is treat bug day, this is an excellent way to build a positive relationship with your chameleon by hand feeding a special treat once a week. Hopefully then they will associate you with positive things (food) and learn to trust and basically tolerate us (no lie) 🤣 🤣 🤣
All these bugs can be ordered online through Josh's Frogs, Rainbow Mealworms, Dubia.com, FramsChams, Costal Silkworms, and Feed My Chameleon.

I gut load all my buggies with a fruit/veggie ice cube concoction I made (see the attached document), I make a boatload of this and keep the cubes in my freezer until I start to run low then I make more. On top of this, I also feed my bugs fresh fruits and veggies from the list I attached for you, and I also use the dry cricket gut load from Josh's frogs AND I also use the Repashy Bug Burger....I figure...healthy bugs....healthy chameleon :). My rotation on that is, Monday, Wednesday, Friday - mixture of fresh fruits & veggies and the dry gut load, Saturday - ice cube gut load and repashy bug burger

UGG! I also forgot to talk about your heat light, my heat lights are 65 watts and then I also use this
dimmer and set the temp to 80 degrees. Use a Govee Sensor close by to help make sure that your temps stay where they need to.

ALSO - laybin....I'll attach that information for you shortly :)

Helpful resources:

Fogfather Fogger
Chameleon Academy Youtube & Podcast & website
Neptune the Chameleon Youtube and Website
Veiled Chameleon care sheet

No please ask as many questions as you need! As I said in a post not too long ago, we all started as beginners and are here to help new members of the hobby. :). Ive addressed all your questions in previous posts. The misting system I use and love is the Mist King.

I'm just looking for Miss Skittles blog on laybins to share with you now...hopefully I can find it... :)

Last thing and then I'll stop spamming you until you have more questions for me. I am sharing a photo of two of my chameleon enclosures so you can get an idea of how much coverage you want. The tall enclosure is a 24x24x48 Dragon Strand hybrid enclosure. The second one is a similar one to what you have your girl in, and you can see my girl's lay bin at the bottom of the enclosure too. While I think my veiled (lay bin picture) has an "OK" amount of coverage, I think ideally you'll want closer to what is in my DS enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 6
Awesome, thank you so much ! I'm just putting together a shopping list, and I really apprentice your help !

And yes when I turn the heat lamp off she stops gaping, so until I can get all of this delivered I will keep the big heat lamp off and keep a close eye on her temps!

I'll also be getting better temp gages as I want to make sure everything is dandy !

Thanks again, I'll update when I can !

Back
Top Bottom