temperature for jacksons

seaflirt

I am setting up a reptarium for a jackson,my basking area gets to about
85-90 degrees,but the rest of my reptarium only gets to a high of 74 degrees.My night time temps drop to about 66 degrees.I am using a 18" slimline fixture,and a 50w zoo med halogen.My question is are these temperatures too cold for jacksons?I read recently that they can take teperatures in the 60s,is this ideal temperatures for these guys?any info would greatly be appreciated.

I would try to get the basking zone in the 80-85 range. The ambient temperature in the mid 70's. Not sure what product you are talking about. They sell these ones called tight beams (not sure who make them). These do not spread out heat that well. A normal incadescent light bulb is sufficient enough. If you have this kind you can try elevating it higher off the cage to drop the basking temperature a bit and hopefully raise the ambient a hair. 60's at night is fine.

With the slimlines make sure that the plastic is removed off of the fixture. This plastic will block 99.9% of benificial rays.

As far as temps for Jackson's, they are fairly forgiving as evidenced by the altitude and gradients of temps they tolerate in the wild (Hawaii and Africa).
Ambiant temp of 74 is fine. Lows of 66 will be no problem as long as they are allowed to warm themselves up sufficiently in the morning.

I like my basking areas to be in the low 90s with many branches in the vacinity so the cham can pick the temp that he/she wants. The only reason that I find that chams sit too close to a lamp is if the ambiant temp is too low and that the basking area is limiting to a small branch and area. (That being said, chams don't always have the best judgement, so I wouldn't put an exposed bulb in the enclosure...)

The other reason I like it a little hotter is that Jacksons require a higher humidity requirement (something they may be a little less forgiving about). It needs to be humid, but Jacksons should be allowed to dry themselves under the basking light. This allows for normal shedding. If it is just humid without the drying out under the basking light, they might have problems shedding almost like it not being humid enough. It also cuts down on fungal infections.

I'd try to simulate as close to the wild as you can. Your limitations may be the size cage you have. If your cage is small, you may have to decrease the temp on your basking light for the limited area you can provide. (This maybe why there will be so many keepers with slightly different protocols that work for them.)

Good luck,
Matthew

Back
Top Bottom