Temp Problem

Courtney

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze all screen 16x16x30

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoomed terrsrium hood 18". zoomed daylight blue 60 watt...its too warm its only on for a few hours in the am its around 75-80 in my bedroom where i keep them..cooler at night. also exoterra repti glo 10.0 uvb this is a coiled buld...all the accessories for terrarium came with the setup. i turn on th coiled light at around 6 or 7 the blue one i turn on around lunch time and off around 5 or 6

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? unfortunately im not at the moment... basking spot is roughly 6-7 in from top of cage

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Same as above

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? both...none that are in pots. we have ficus bushes that arent treated with anything so for the time being i have a few branches that i have cleaned...they try to snack on the leaves i left on. this arrangement is only temp. waiting on my other accesories to be mailed back to me.

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?Sits on top of a dresser thats about 32" tall. the dresser is all the way in a corner between a window and a sliding glass door. there is a ceiling fan on in the middle of the room its on all the time. it gets really hot and dry without it. The ceiling is vaulted. there are two ac vents in the room that do nothing to cool the room. its 2 story large house. we only run ac upstairs. too expensive to cool the whole house when the majority of the people that live in it are never here.

* Location - Where are you geographically located? USA Ft Lauderdale Beach Florida

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?Veiled, Male and Female, almost 3 months, 1 Week

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?only when i feel the need to clean up large amounts of fecal matter. the male gets really upset when you go sticking your hands in the cage. i found it eaiser on him to just take him out. besides at that time generally twice a week not for very long, just to look them over and go out on the covered patio in the evening for som not too hot real sunlight

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Gut loaded crickets that i gut loaded myself with..muti grain cereal, veggies..lettuce broccoli carrots fresh green beans.. i use to use baby food mixed with the powdered store bought gut load. In the am and the evening how many each time not sure. i do know that since ive had them they have ate roughly 120 between the two of them

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? twice a week rep cal calcium w/vitamin d

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have seen them drinking now not so much. i mist the plants several times a day 3+ because its so warm in my house . we also have a little dripper that drips into a holding container for easy emoval. I do not recycle the water.

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? brown piece thats larger than the second smaller round chalk like white piece.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Captive bred..suposedly trusted breeder in the local area. i did get them from a reptile store. all the babies with them were healthy beautiful no defects. i inspected all of them as best i could.

* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

the orignal is a typo

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze all screen 16x16x30

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Repti glo 5.0 linear tube on top 18" and a silver dome light with a 60 watt zoo med daylight blue the dome is a foot from the top of cage. basking spot is 6 in from top screen

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I bought a zoo med digi said it was 78 f. Thats in the terrarium and in the room..they didnt have a humidity gauge and they only had one digi

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Same as above

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? both... i repoted a giant schefflera i dont think i spelled that right sorry. anyway i put that in they love it

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?Sits on top of a dresser thats about 32" tall. the dresser is all the way in a corner between a window and a sliding glass door. there is a ceiling fan on in the middle of the room its on all the time. it gets really hot and dry without it. The ceiling is vaulted. there are two ac vents in the room that do nothing to cool the room. its 2 story large house. we only run ac upstairs. too expensive to cool the whole house when the majority of the people that live in it are never here.

* Location - Where are you geographically located? USA Ft Lauderdale Beach Florida

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?Veiled, Male and Female, almost 3 months, 1 Week

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?only when i feel the need to clean up large amounts of fecal matter. the male gets really upset when you go sticking your hands in the cage. i found it eaiser on him to just take him out. besides at that time generally twice a week not for very long, just to look them over and go out on the covered patio in the evening for som not too hot real sunlight

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Gut loaded crickets that i gut loaded myself with..muti grain cereal, veggies..lettuce broccoli carrots fresh green beans.. i use to use baby food mixed with the powdered store bought gut load. In the am and the evening how many each time not sure. i do know that since ive had them they have ate roughly 120 between the two of them

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? twice a week rep cal calcium w/vitamin d

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have seen them drinking now not so much. i mist the plants several times a day 3+ because its so warm in my house . we also have a little dripper that drips into a holding container for easy emoval. I do not recycle the water.

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? brown piece thats larger than the second smaller round chalk like white piece.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Captive bred..suposedly trusted breeder in the local area. i did get them from a reptile store. all the babies with them were healthy beautiful no defects. i inspected all of them as best i could.

* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about. Today i added a plant its really bushy lots of hiding places. i have a dome light and linear tube uvb. i have tied the standard 40 watt and the zoo med blue day glow...both are two hot. i have caught me female siting with her mouth open twice. i immediately turn off the light and pick her up and shes very warm.. i let her cool off for a bit i return her and give a good misting. my plants are always wet and the dripper drips all day. during the day and night its never cooler than 75 in my house. its roughly 78 now. do i need to sumpliment heat?????

You can try moving your basking light a little higher above, even if you need to suspend it, or clip it on something. I really recommend some kind of accurate thermometer so you know exactly how warm it is at the basking spot.
If it dosent fall below 75f that ought to be fine.
Note that while gaping like that normally indicates its too warm, chams arnt that smart, and many stupidly remain there gaping anyway rather than move away to cool off.
* possible reason

A 40 watt globe shoulnt be too warm, if you measure the temp and move the heatlight away to acheive that you wont go far wrong. If you make the basking spot slightly lower than recommended (as a safegaurd for your peace of mind), your lizard/s will simply spend a little more time basking to acheive desired body temp.

* it's been noted (scientific study) that chams can bask specifically to adjust their D3
levels. Keeping this in mind, if you arrange your linear Uv placement so the lizard/s can bask beneath it, without being directly beneath the heat source, this may see your lizard gaping less.

My enclosure has a faux vine running accross the top, this is where my lizard bask.
At one end the vine runs beneath his uv tube only, and I often see him hanging out there, apparently soaking up uv without the heat.

Best wishes :)

i tested that theory also...she was really hot feeling while he was just normal i guess you could say. when i picked her up she felt like a hot baby bottle...im going to put up pics soon to be critiqued.....thanks alot!!!! these are turning out to be more difficult than my otis...a great challenge though...looking into building a few large cages...moving soon waiting to have an idea of what kind of space im going to have before i build.

Hook up a Rheostat so you can turn down the temp of your bulbs. But the male will like/need it warmer. Another reason it's not a good idea to house them together. ;)

Why do you have it so hot in your house? Do you not have AC?

i got a ceiling fan 20 watt bulb when i had my heat problems and it works perfect now. When my house is around 80 my baskng spot is about 87-90 and when my house has the AC on and is 74 my basking spot is 82-85

Back
Top Bottom