Temp in big cage

Brieb17

Hi so I just got a 24x24x48 cage but it’s not getting hot enough since it’s so big does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the enclosure to the correct temperature?

It staying around 75

Attachments

• 15709015-6BE6-4B22-A507-D487859CE386.jpeg
    15709015-6BE6-4B22-A507-D487859CE386.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 89
what kind of cham is the cage for? and what temp are you trying to get to?

also are you measuring the whole cage or just that one spot the probe is?

Hi there! Here is my suggestion to retain the heat. Run down to Lowes or some kind of home improvement store - depending of where you are at and purchase corrugated plastic sheeting. Cut 3 pieces to the size of the enclosure and attach/glue them to the sides and back. This will help maintain heat and humidity.

Hi there! Here is my suggestion to retain the heat. Run down to Lowes or some kind of home improvement store - depending of where you are at and purchase corrugated plastic sheeting. Cut 3 pieces to the size of the enclosure and attach/glue them to the sides and back. This will help maintain heat and humidity.
Awesome I will try that thank you!

My breeder told me temp should be 85-90 I trust him so that’s what I’m trying to get it to

That high of temps is old information. I can not say I am an expert, but none of mine go above 85 at the peak. I have 6 babies that rarely see a peak of 80 basking. Their ambient is as low as 62 at night and only hits low 70s ambient. They are growing and thriving. They are about 4-5 months now.
I have gone to lower temps based on the recommendation of many long time keepers.

Note that I am likely an the low end of ambient for my babies. It is a personal theory that it would be cooler and damper closer to the ground where the babies would start their lives. By 6 months they are pretty grown and will have moved up in the trees. So their parameters would match that of an adult.

They really are a montane species. It is my belief that they suffer more often from being kept too hot rather than to cold.

My breeder told me temp should be 85-90 I trust him so that’s what I’m trying to get it to
Hot temps at basking have been linked to a shorter lifespan... Which is why it is 80-85 max end for basking. I keep mine at 80-82 max. 80 on the branch where the probe is so it is warmer where they rise up at 82.

Your going to get info that is on point with current keeping practices here. Your breeder is going by older line of thinking.

Here is a good link to learn more about correct husbandry and enclosure set up. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

And here is a link to an accurate care sheet on Panthers. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Back
Top Bottom