temp & humidity for incubating

mimibozzo

My panther just laid a clutch of 19 eggs and I have put them in the bin filled with moist vermiculite. About what temperature do I need to keep them at? I live in San Diego, California so it's pretty warm out here right now. Is it possible for them to get too hot?

It's been a long time since I incubated panthers so I'll defer to others on acceptable temperatures. Yes, you can keep them too hot. Too hot is very bad, worse than too cool. Too cool just takes longer. Too hot kills them or makes them hatch faster and weak.

Your egg container should be close to 100 percent humidity. I use plastic shoe box type with a slightly loose fitting lid, no air holes. I've seen a few people use tight fitting tupperware type, with no air holes. Not sure how they are getting away with that unless they open it every couple of days. There should be some air exchange, but very slight. If you let in too much air, the humidity goes down. If you don't see condensation inside the top and on the sides of the container, chances are the humidity is too low. The inside should be covered in tiny droplets after a few days. I consider it just right when the eggs take on a translucent appearance.

Good luck.

Ok, that helps a lot but what about the actual temperature? What should that be? Do I need a certain type of thermometer to keep in the bin?

Ok, that helps a lot but what about the actual temperature? What should that be? Do I need a certain type of thermometer to keep in the bin?

It has been too long since I incubated panther eggs and do not remember the temps I used. I do know I used a day/night cycle (cooler at night). Hopefully someone with more recent experience can help you. I've found several references, but the recommended temperatures vary. I do remember there is a diapause (dormant period) and if the temps are too warm during the first part of incubation it takes longer for them to hatch.

I recommend getting a digital thermometer with a probe. Just put the probe in the container, then mount the unit where you can monitor it. I use one that records the maximum and minimum as well as the current temperature. I got it at Radio Shack.

We Incubate panthers at around 78-80 constant temp. They hatch around the 8-9m mark and we use a few different temp gauges to monitor temps so we can get an average.

At 76-78°f, mine hatch at 6 months to the day usually. Occasionally, at 7months for the stragglers. I use organic vermiculite with a smidge of perlite in a ziploc tupperware in a tropical fish styrofoam shipping container. Like clockwork. (Tip for veil owners: mine take 7 months this way, in case interested)

Back
Top Bottom