Teach me all the things about Parsonii Cristifer

A cham room is the dream, but isn't going to happen anytime soon. For now they would be in my living room so I'll just have to setup my thermostat to provide the temps that they need like what you do with Beman.
Just think instead of couches you will have huge enclosures lol. People will come over and you will be like here have this corner of the floor. :hilarious:

Will they allow you to get fecals run on them before you bring them home? Otherwise a quarantine for them will be hard to do.

Will they allow you to get fecals run on them before you bring them home? Otherwise a quarantine for them will be hard to do.

I was thinking about that earlier. Yeah I was hoping I could get a sample from the shop beforehand and make sure everything is good to go.

I was thinking about that earlier. Yeah I was hoping I could get a sample from the shop beforehand and make sure everything is good to go.
If they will not let you get samples then literally do not have anything that you use for one do not use then for your panther. Just in case some parasites are so much worse then others. Keep everything separate and try to make sure they are as far away as possible from the Panther just to be safe. But I would really try to get samples first. Some things you just do not want to risk bringing home. Not a good bonus if you know what I mean.

If they will not let you get samples then literally do not have anything that you use for one do not use then for your panther. Just in case some parasites are so much worse then others. Keep everything separate and try to make sure they are as far away as possible from the Panther just to be safe. But I would really try to get samples first. Some things you just do not want to risk bringing home. Not a good bonus if you know what I mean.

Good word of warning. I’m confident they’d let me get a sample. I’m planning on swinging by this week so I’ll ask then. Also want to observe them eating. Make sure they have the appetite they should have at that age, and that everything is working as it should.

I just saw this post and thought I’d add some information here.

Calumma parsonii cristifer are a smaller sub species of calumma parsonii parsonii. Their adult size is roughly a little bigger than an large adult Panther chameleon. Male adults can weigh 350g +- and females are usually around 180g+-.

I agree that the caging requirements are 4x2x4 for an adult male and 2x2x4 for an adult female. My opinion is that they should be kept separated unless breeding. I will say that babies cohabitate well when young but I always try to separate them ASAP. At this time only Aaron Allred and myself (Craig Durbin) have been consistently producing these chameleons. The ones the original poster is thinking about getting are not CB in my option because the store is saying they are CB from Europe. As far as I know, no one is producing them in Europe and I highly doubt they would send them here if they were.

As far as water goes. I feel they don’t require as long of mistings as the bigger Parson’s as long as good hydration techniques are followed. I mist mine for a short period of around 2 minutes in the mornings and a longer period of around 20 minutes before lights out. I don’t think they need that long if misting in the afternoon but my Cristifers are hooked up to the same misting system as some of my larger Parson’s and the long mistings don’t hurt.

Temperatures. Cristifer are a hardy species and can handle a pretty wide range of temperatures in my experience.
I have some housed outside year round and they see temps from 30F to the mid 90’s. There average is 70F-80F day and 50F-60F nights. Obviously these temps go higher and lower depending on the time of year. Cool humid nights are important as they are for many species of chameleons and the use of a fogger at night is a good idea.

Health. Cristifer’s, Like their big Parson’s brothers and sisters are susceptible to mouth issues. I think this is mainly due to the type and size of feeders we use. Routine mouth inspections are important.

The going price for CBB babies in the US has been $500. People seem happy to pay much more for WC’s for whatever reason and those can be over $1000 at times. I received one of the first pair to come to the US post ban. I asked the importer to see if he could get them and I paid a pretty penny for that first pair but it’s what got me to where I am today, having hatched out about 80 Cristifer babies with more coming.

Cristifer are a great species to work with, although quite different from the larger species of parsonii they still have some cool horns. They are much more active than the big parsonii and remain active with lower temperatures. There is a wide variety of looks with them also. Male coloration can vary widely with some individuals being yellow, blue, green or a combination of these colors. Females can also vary greatly with some females being a golden color to a more normal green coloration. Cristifer’s overall are very laid back and calm. Females can have quite the personalities. I have a video I took of a female being silly and it has garnered around 100 million views on multiple media platforms. They are a very enjoyable species to keep.

One sample doesn't tell all. That's why people often get repeat samples over a few weeks/months. It also doesn't show the hidden fun things like papiloma/viruses. Whether they are WC or not, I'm sure something else in the store is and that opens you up to all sorts of things. Maybe you're experienced with this, Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll be in perfect shape. Personally, I wouldn't go from a pet store, but that's just me.

One sample doesn't tell all. That's why people often get repeat samples over a few weeks/months. It also doesn't show the hidden fun things like papiloma/viruses. Whether they are WC or not, I'm sure something else in the store is and that opens you up to all sorts of things. Maybe you're experienced with this, Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll be in perfect shape. Personally, I wouldn't go from a pet store, but that's just me.

All legit concerns I’ll keep in mind.

I’ve spent hours staring at them. They look like they’re in great shape. Doesn’t mean there isn’t something wrong with them that isn’t visible, but still a good sign. This store also has a great reputation. I know there are a lot of bad pet stores out there, but these guys know what they’re doing and specialize exclusively in reptiles. It’s also where I got my panther from and he’s been thriving. It’s super awesome to have them local to me.

Back
Top Bottom