Targeting issue...still

Has the leg swelling changed at all?

As for the tongue aim...what's the ratio of D3 to prEFormed vitamin A in any supplements you use and commercial foods you feed to the insects?

Has the leg swelling changed at all?

As for the tongue aim...what's the ratio of D3 to prEFormed vitamin A in any supplements you use and commercial foods you feed to the insects?
The edema in the leg and gular region have both subsided slightly—more so in the latter. I am no longer (as usual of 2 weeks) using any fat-solubles in their supplementation beyond the small amounts in the commercial gutload I sometimes use with their feeders.

Further to my last,

I’m opting for natural d3 via uvb, and offering the broadest range of carotenoids in their diet—including those found in Earth Pro A, those found in kelp and spirulina, and those found in the various high-carotenoid gutload items I provide.

Further to my last,

I’m opting for natural d3 via uvb, and offering the broadest range of carotenoids in their diet—including those found in Earth Pro A, those found in kelp and spirulina, and those found in the various high-carotenoid gutload items I provide.
Do you find rose having same issue in the summer ?? She spends the summers outside correct ?

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Female veiled, approx 1.5 years; been in my care for a year
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • This one bites, always. Handled her once, and had to have antibiotics
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Feeding dubias, surinams, runners and Crix as staples (ish); she gets silkies twice a week, and gets a limited amount of butters, waxies, supers, hornies and darkling beetles. She gets fed three times/week now (summer’s a bit of a sh$t show because she’s outside in a huge enclosure screened in 1/2” hardware cloth, so it’s a feeding frenzy). We gutload with collards, dandelion, beet greens, mustard greens, rosemary, basil, butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, washed pitted olives, apples, oranges, bananas, prickly pear, grapefruit, papaya, repashy superload and repashy bug burger—all blended into a goo, frozen in ice cube trays, and fed daily.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Earthpro a mixed with earthpro calmag at a 4:1 ratio every feeding
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Mistking. Two 15 minute mistings: one just before lights on, one just after lights out. Dripper during the day. Occasionally see her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Poop looks good: firm, not greasy, urates 75% bone white, 25% orangish. Tested positive for pinworms, treated with the panacur fender bender. Will test again next week
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Custom screened enclosure; 3x4x5 (ish)
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Two 4’ Arcadia uvbs. First is a 6%, is located on the east side of the enclosure (4” from basking) comes on at 730 am and off at 5 pm. The second is an Arcadia 12%, is located on the west side of the enclosure (6” from basking) comes on at noon, and off at 730 pm. My uvi’s range from 2.5-3 in the am, and up to 6 during the afternoon hours.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • The way these cages are set up, they do not require basking bulbs. Basking temps at basking areas vary between 79 and 85 during the day. Mid cage a steady 72 day-time, bottom cage, 68 day time. This is achieved by programming the greenhouse thermostat to heat up to 75 at 7 am, 80 at 9 am, and 85 at noon - 4 pm, at which point it ramps down slowly until 10pm, at which point it is 65. Night time temps drop by 10 degrees respectively. Her usual sleeping area stands around 65 at night. Heat is constantly monitored by probes strategically placed, and confirmed by double dot heat gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Daytime humidity is at 99% at 7 am, and slowly drops to 50% by around 1pm. It stays there until about 4 pm, at which point it slowly increases with the gradual temp drop, until it hits about 85% by 10pm and 98% by 7 am. Oh yeah, this is all achieved as a result of keeping our chams in a heated greenhouse.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • We use all live plants. Croton, hibiscus, ficus, bromeliads, pothos, and creeping ficus. Plants are arranged to create a dense foliage area mid cage; foliage thins a bit near top of cage, and ground level is sparse
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Cages sit approx 6” above the ground, but top out at 6’ (they’re irregularly shaped to conform to the walls of the greenhouse) We use a duct fan that draws air down through the bottom of the cage (gently) to circulate air.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Located in London, Ontario, Canada. Usda

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Our girl, Rose, is still having targeting problems. 100% of the time she hits too high, merely brushing the head of the bug, and hitting solidly just above.
My veiled does the same but only with Superworms. He hits everything else 100%, but when it comes to Superworms, he shoots his tongue and misses, he shoots a bit up. he gets the tongue stuck to the feeder cup, pulls himself to the cup and just gets em with the mouth, like a lil velociraptor.

I have posted two threads about this.

Mona occasionally, consistently misses feeders. Sometimes shooting just too high -- other times I swear she hits it and just doesn't take it in. If in a cup or feeder she does fine.

I have no idea why. I've tried "lightening" upon the amount of dusting -- increasing humidity, seeing if it's a type of feeder -- to no avail.

I know this doesn't help -- but we can commiserate!

like a lil velociraptor.
I know this isn’t a VR but still fits! Tiny dinosaurs!
A0F8C20B-EF06-4888-A07E-4D2EEB53069F.jpeg

Are others with the problems of missing targets been there from early age or appearing suddenly after growing a little older?
From what I am reading, sounds like they are all missing high? Gotta be something in common?

Are others with the problems of missing targets been there from early age or appearing suddenly after growing a little older?
From what I am reading, sounds like they are all missing high? Gotta be something in common?
You’re right. Hmm.

You’re right. Hmm.
Really? No, he's not right lol. Its laughable to draw that conclusion from a few random posts...

Is it possible? Yes, but far from conclusive. Not trying to tear @Ramrod down but I don't want to see you start putting blinders on to other possibilities. Lets at least let them answer before going down this rabbit hole...

Fair enough! I certainly agree a random sampling of a whopping 3 individuals is far from trend setting. In fact, if I think on it, chams usually go for the head shot, so it only makes sense that near misses are always high.

Really? No, he's not right lol. Its laughable to draw that conclusion from a few random posts...

Is it possible? Yes, but far from conclusive. Not trying to tear @Ramrod down but I don't want to see you start putting blinders on to other possibilities. Lets at least let them answer before going down this rabbit hole...
Agreed but like I said"from what I am reading" would like to hear from others thier thoughts. Not a conclusion but just an observation. Notice a question mark at end of message.

@Thatwizard420 @AnamCara

Have they done this since they were young or did this develop over time or even suddenly?

It's happened on and off for 1.5 years.

I believe Mona is older than I originally thought, based on Coza's size and having her hatch date. I believe Mona was closer to 9 -11 months when I got her, putting her closer to 3 years than 2. So, about half her life I have noticed this issue. When I first first got her I left her alone to eat mostly since she seemed to not eat in front of me. It could have been happening then as well and I just didn't notice until we started hand feeding. I should also say she hits about 70% of the feeders she aims at. She'll miss but then try again and usually not miss a second time. This obviously only happens when she is hunting for food around her enclosure.

She missed once and got her tongue stuck to my hand something fierce.

Since I started using a feeder cup, I used to free range all his grub.
So with hornworm he doesn't miss at all (always a headshot)
Superworms he tries to go for the head, but misses.

Mona almost never goes for a headshot. She always grabs from the middle of the worms -- which is why we can only do tiny horns -- she's been bitten multiple times.

Drake started missing at about 10 mo. Before that he was spot on so I was thinking maybe he got bit by a superworm before he could get it down. He would always go for a mid body shot on any worm type. Don't know how long that would take to heal up if that was the case.

Wonder if visual impairment, or tongue-eye coordination (possibly neurological)? Just speculating...

I didn't see many responses on this thought. It seems possible to me, unless it has been ruled out my some other factor that I missed? ( if so, sorry!) I own reptiles (of different species, but still) that after some level of visual impairment, acted normal in almost every way, but always shot high or to the side slightly. Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom