Tantrum!

Direwolf

Established Member
So yesterday marks one week that I have had my 3 month old baby Ambilobe, Goka-Kintana (Darkstar). I've been giving him lots of space so he can adapt to his new home w/out too much interference from me. He's eating and drinking very well, and (knock-on-wood) seems healthy and active. Last night when Darkstar's lights went off, he suddenly became energized, almost like he was throwing a tantrum or something. He started stridently marching around the canopy of his enclosure, climbing the wire mesh on the ceiling and door. He seemed curious as I approached the enclosure, and didn't flinch from me. Not sure what he wanted, I slowly opened his dragon strand door just to let him get used to the idea of an "outside." To my utter surprise, he boldly marched out onto the door and quickly proceed to climb up his enclosure! I intervened at this point to ensure he didn't try to climb onto his still very hot ceramic dome from the basking bulb. I gently placed him on a nearby potted ficus and left him out for his first "free range" experience, highly supervised of course. After about 5 minutes, I placed him back in his enclosure for sleep; where he proceeded to sleep on the most exposed branch in his entire enclosure all night, without one nervous glance at myself or my partner.

Where did this sudden boldness come from?!

I guess I'm curious if anyone else's juvenile cham had a moment where they became super "animated" and bold? He didn't seem in distress; I was just completely caught off guard by his enthusiasm. Is this the age where little flashes of their personality begin to show?

Attachments

• DK4.jpg
    DK4.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DS1.jpg
    DS1.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DS3.jpg
    DS3.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DS6.jpg
    DS6.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 112
He was showing you who the boss is! :LOL: My veiled always perches in the most bare spot in his enclosure every night :)
Lol I bet you're right! He certainly was being "Type A" last night. Your veiled is beautiful! It's nice having well-adjusted chams :)

Thank you, alphakenc!

When you think about it, what a nice way to hold a tantrum! With a glorious visual display instead of screaming, cursing or hitting things like a human might. There are so many wonderful "tantrums" in the animal kingdom...birds singing and posturing to chase off intruders is another.

When you think about it, what a nice way to hold a tantrum! With a glorious visual display instead of screaming, cursing or hitting things like a human might. There are so many wonderful "tantrums" in the animal kingdom...birds singing and posturing to chase off intruders is another.
Very true, Carlton! It's a beautiful and strange world made all the better by chams :cool:

Back
Top Bottom