Tamura Designs Ventilation

Some hybrid Dragon Strand enclosures have screened front doors. Other hybrid DS enclosures have an acrylic main door with a screened lower door. Correct?

Tamura is solid PVC and acrylic with a screen on the top. So how does the chimney effect work if there’s no air intake at the bottom?

Some Tamura enclosures have “crosscut” doors in the middle of the sides. I don’t know why those screen doors aren’t further down toward the bottom of the sides to get a better chimney effect like the DS hybrids get.

This is why I want a smoke test on a Tamura with those crosscuts doors open. I will give $100.00 and a smoke pen to anyone who does the test and posts a video showing what the smoke does.

If the Tamura is warmed up and the chimney effect is in full swing, I imagine air going up and out of the top screen and cool air being pulled in through the crosscuts doors on the middle of the sides. But what does the air in the bottom half of the enclosure do? Does it just swirl and stagnate down there?

If the Tamura is warmed up and the chimney effect is in full swing, I imagine air going up and out of the top screen and cool air being pulled in through the crosscuts doors on the middle of the sides. But what does the air in the bottom half of the enclosure do? Does it just swirl and stagnate down there?
I have a 4' tall x 4' wide. T he side screen openings start 14" up from the bottom. So we are not talking about the bottom half, only the bottom third. And because the plants are elevated on bars 4" up from the floor it is really only 10".

I have literally never seen my cham anywhere near there, the lowest he goes is about midway in the cage. So I don't think it matters about the very bottom; it stays very cool and more humid should he ever need it but as I said I have never seen it.

I have a 4' tall x 4' wide. T he side screen openings start 14" up from the bottom. So we are not talking about the bottom half, only the bottom third. And because the plants are elevated on bars 4" up from the floor it is really only 10".

I have literally never seen my cham anywhere near there, the lowest he goes is about midway in the cage. So I don't think it matters about the very bottom; it stays very cool and more humid should he ever need it but as I said I have never seen it.
Very good point. If they are never down in the bottom 1/4 of the enclosure it doesn’t really matter!

You can order the Tamura designs anyway you want if you want to screen door in front instead of an acrylic he’ll do that for you. And no stagnant air but I blow my air in instead of drawing it out the top.

You can order the Tamura designs anyway you want if you want to screen door in front instead of an acrylic he’ll do that for you. And no stagnant air but I blow my air in instead of drawing it out the top.
Oh wow that’s really interesting! So you open the two front doors and blow a fan in there during the day to dry it out?

Last edited:
Regardless, if the PC fans are needed or not I would be using them they help dry out the enclosure. I think PC fans are necessary and most hybrid enclosures . They create air movement. It looks like you want one . I don’t blame you For wanting the test. But I can honestly say. With great confidence . If you’re wanting a custom enclosure, and are willing to spend the money they’re worth it . I don’t know if you’ve seen this it is my all acrylic front.
I love the look of that acrylic enclosure but I wonder how hard it is to keep that acrylic spot free or free of scratches. I’m sure RO or distilled water helps keep mineral spots to a minimum. Maybe some vinegar water on a soft cloth once in a while?

I love the look of that acrylic enclosure but I wonder how hard it is to keep that acrylic spot free or free of scratches. I’m sure RO or distilled water helps keep mineral spots to a minimum. Maybe some vinegar water on a soft cloth once in a while?
There’s a spray call plexi clean and it works like a dream. The chameleon academy was talking about it on a video not that long ago ☺️

When I had a plexi glass fish tank it got so many scratches and got hazy. Probably not a factor at all for reptile enclosures

Sorry I got you started 🤣 I really just wanted to show how beautiful it is and how happy I am with it 😆

Well, it’s not easy to keep it clean . I have very hard water I used distilled white vinegar, and then I clean it with plexi clean but if you don’t stay on top of it, you will have a problem . But I have the same issue with Glass so

Oh wow that’s really interesting! So you open the two front doors and blow a fan in there during the day to dry it out?
Yes, I open up two side doors every morning , sometimes I only close the doors halfway sometimes I close them all the way I can regulate how much fog stays inside the cage with the doors

When I had a plexi glass fish tank it got so many scratches and got hazy. Probably not a factor at all for reptile enclosures
You’re definitely gonna wanna watch what kind of rag you use to clean it. I make sure to use something very soft I’ve bought special cloths. To make sure I don’t scratch it . I didn’t make that mistake with one of the cages that I handbuilt and use plexi for the doors and I put a scratch in it. You just gotta be very mindful of what you’re doing but it’s not hard not to scratch it.

You’re definitely gonna wanna watch what kind of rag you use to clean it. I make sure to use something very soft I’ve bought special cloths. To make sure I don’t scratch it . I didn’t make that mistake with one of the cages that I handbuilt and use plexi for the doors and I put a scratch in it. You just gotta be very mindful of what you’re doing but it’s not hard not to scratch it.
Oh because I’m sure once you make a scratch like that it’s all you see!

Back
Top Bottom