Taming

What is the best way to tame a 1 year old veiled cham, if its even possible for his age
I have a veiled too, male 1 year 3 months he is extremely tame and will walk to the doors wanting to explore outside his vivarium. He will quite comfortably will sit on my shoulder or head for a short while before sitting on his tree gazing out the window.

He hasn't always been an extrovert. I found making sure the experience outside of the viv was a positive one something he enjoys. Like I mentioned we brought a large dracaena massangeana tree which he enjoys perching on this way he sees it as a positive experience.

He wasn't very trusting at first and taking him out his viv at first was tricky. Day after day I would hand feed only and sit by his viv for up to 20 minutes after feeding. Gradually I would put my hand in and near him but not attempt to pick him. After a month or so I would touch his feet briefly only when he didn't move I wouldn't chase him around if he was walking away. Eventually whilst he was mid walk I would put my hand in front like and obstacle and after a few times he walked onto my hand.. on the first few occasions I just lifted him up but kept him in his viv making him feel comfortable with me doing so, after doing this a few time I took him out and let him explore... like I said now he is very confident and loves coming out. But I rarely hold him for my own pleasure only when Im moving him from place to place etc Forcing them to sit on you and play like a hamster will only stress him and he wont want to come out ...

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom