taming my veiled

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
Hi I am in the process of taming my veiled chameleon. He has been taking stuff from my hand without hesitation for about three weeks. The last about week and a half he has been getting on my hand without hesitation if I have food and can work him out. The problem is once he gets on my hand, eats the food and realizes he is on my hand he sometimes gets all polka dotted and scared and walks back away from my hand. I have not taken him out of the enclosure yet. So what is the next step and what I should do to get him fully tamed because he is so close but not quit there.

Hi I am in the process of taming my veiled chameleon. He has been taking stuff from my hand without hesitation for about three weeks. The last about week and a half he has been getting on my hand without hesitation if I have food and can work him out. The problem is once he gets on my hand, eats the food and realizes he is on my hand he sometimes gets all polka dotted and scared and walks back away from my hand. I have not taken him out of the enclosure yet. So what is the next step and what I should do to get him fully tamed because he is so close but not quit there.
Keep on trying! food is a great way to coax them on your hand as you said but then he gets scared so I would get him on your hand and put him on a separate free range tree or take him outside. Chams can't resist natural sunlight! Also don't force anything; mimic a branch as much as you can. he's the boss, he goes where he wants, don't constrain them or anything let him do what he wants.

He has to realize that your ok.
OK | You're not going to eat him! ;) :LOL:

Also don't force anything; mimic a branch as much as you can.
Like... Hide in plain sight and make a noise like a branch?
(Reminded me of that old joke about catching a rabbit... :LOL: )

he's the boss, he goes where he wants, don't constrain them or anything let him do what he wants.
As in... "Where does a 800 lb. chameleon sleep?" :ROFLMAO:

OP: Be prepared for bumps in the road, e.g. suddenly he won't do it. It's not abnormal.
Things could also go like 2 steps forward—one strep back. They're all individuals, and can have good & bad days. Patience & perseverance; slow & easy. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom