Tamatave Panther Advice

Hello I’ve been the proud owner of a Tamatave panther for about a week now. He’s 8 months old. His Diet consists of super worms, crickets, mealworms, and When we went to the pet store to pick him up he was super sociable, he wanted out constantly. I brought him home to a much bigger enclosure, and now he’s a lot more reserved. Fortunately he does eat out of my hand. But he does not like to come out of his cage and he hisses at me sometimes. I think I might be overfeeding him, any advice on feeding would be helpful. Does anyone have advice on getting him to come out of his cage willingly?

Attachments

• B78654CB-CA27-4B5D-AFA3-B107F002D604.jpeg
    B78654CB-CA27-4B5D-AFA3-B107F002D604.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 68F2B434-5945-4D49-83A7-570FEC337188.jpeg
    68F2B434-5945-4D49-83A7-570FEC337188.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 186
He was probably wanting to come out of his cage at the pet store because they probably didnt have him in an adequate cage. Now he is in a bigger cage that has better cover he doesnt want to leave the cover. That mixed with the fact that he is in a new environment, it's going to take him awhile to be comfortable. Chameleons are not social animals, so dont expect him to want to come out and spend time with you.

He was probably wanting to come out of his cage at the pet store because they probably didnt have him in an adequate cage. Now he is in a bigger cage that has better cover he doesnt want to leave the cover. That mixed with the fact that he is in a new environment, it's going to take him awhile to be comfortable. Chameleons are not social animals, so dont expect him to want to come out and spend time with you.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I figured as much, that he just is comfortable in his new environment. He hand feeds well and will even stretch out onto my arm, but he doesn’t want to take his hind legs out of the cage. He came out today for a little bit and sat on my shoulder for like an hour. I’ve been trying not to make eye contact and to read/eat in front of his cage so that he knows I’m a safe person. Do you have any advice on bonding with them?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I figured as much, that he just is comfortable in his new environment. He hand feeds well and will even stretch out onto my arm, but he doesn’t want to take his hind legs out of the cage. He came out today for a little bit and sat on my shoulder for like an hour. I’ve been trying not to make eye contact and to read/eat in front of his cage so that he knows I’m a safe person. Do you have any advice on bonding with them?
Tricky question. I know you're just using the word bonding for lack of better words, but I just want to make sure your thoroughly understand that these are not creatures that form attachments like we do! You can get your cham to associate you with things like food or going out in to natural light, which will make them more willing to come to you, but it doesnt mean they will like you.
Just working with them on trust and positive association is all you can do. So offering them a treat only offered by hand and if they come to you for it is one way to do it. Whenever I take my cham out I ALWAYS take him out for some natural light. He is starting to want to come out more and more now. Though I'm starting to think that is in part because he needs a cage upgrade lol.

@Beman can you link your blog for OP?

Listen to this pod:

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-85-taming-your-chameleon/

While you will never really "tame" your chameleon -- you can help foster trust. Him feeding out of your hand is a good sign. Keep doing that. When I was working on trust with Mona I would not make eye contact and try to keep myself lower than her. It was actually hilarious -- I would be almost on my knees with a fat butterworm in my hand raised above me with my head down.

Time is really the most important thing IMHO -- I thought I had gotten to a really good place with Mona and I wanted her to get familiar with my best friend who would help watch her while I was gone. I tried to take her out of the cage with my friend present and she hissed like I had never seen before or after and it took me about 6 months to gain her trust back.

In my experience with 5 chameleons, the best way to get them happy with coming out is just gently taking them out and putting them in a comfortable spot outside to get some sun. Panthers love it outside, I've had aggressive chameleons and passive, they all reacted the same once they got a taste of being outside. Just get them to associate you with something they like, it doesn't really matter if you make them come out(just don't hurt them obviously). They'll quickly realize it's a good thing. Those of us that have/had multiple chameleons don't have time to slowly coax each and every chameleon outside. I've done both and it didn't really matter. Individual personality is the biggest factor, you will see people with veileds that are completely chill and others that work with them everyday, yet still get bit. Panthers on the other hand are much easier going.

Hello I’ve been the proud owner of a Tamatave panther for about a week now. He’s 8 months old. His Diet consists of super worms, crickets, mealworms, and When we went to the pet store to pick him up he was super sociable, he wanted out constantly. I brought him home to a much bigger enclosure, and now he’s a lot more reserved. Fortunately he does eat out of my hand. But he does not like to come out of his cage and he hisses at me sometimes. I think I might be overfeeding him, any advice on feeding would be helpful. Does anyone have advice on getting him to come out of his cage willingly?

At first glance I do not see any linear UVB Bulb, is there one or just the two dome lights?

In my experience with 5 chameleons, the best way to get them happy with coming out is just gently taking them out and putting them in a comfortable spot outside to get some sun. Panthers love it outside, I've had aggressive chameleons and passive, they all reacted the same once they got a taste of being outside. Just get them to associate you with something they like, it doesn't really matter if you make them come out(just don't hurt them obviously). They'll quickly realize it's a good thing. Those of us that have/had multiple chameleons don't have time to slowly coax each and every chameleon outside. I've done both and it didn't really matter. Individual personality is the biggest factor, you will see people with veileds that are completely chill and others that work with them everyday, yet still get bit. Panthers on the other hand are much easier going.
James gave me this advice a few months back, when I had never ever handled Pesto because I was having troubles getting him to come out willingly. After he gave me this advice I starting to just nudge him on to my hand at least once a week (every Friday has turned in to his outside time and weigh in day), sometimes twice depending on my schedule, to go out for some natural sun. He was never happy about coming out with me, but was always happy once we got in to the sun. Now he is coming out more willingly and doesnt seem as upset when he does. This has been the best advice for someone who's schedule just cant commit to sitting in front of his enclosure with bugs for hours every single day lol

James gave me this advice a few months back, when I had never ever handled Pesto because I was having troubles getting him to come out willingly. After he gave me this advice I starting to judge nudge him on to my hand at least once a week (every Friday has turned in to his outside time and weigh in day), sometimes twice depending on my schedule, to go out for some natural sun. He was never happy about coming out with me, but was always happy once we got in to the sun. Now he is coming out more willingly and doesnt seem as upset when he does. This has been the best advice for someone who's schedule just cant commit to sitting in front of his enclosure with bugs for hours every single day lol

I've done both(slow coaxing process with my first cham who was shy, but nice) and then more *forced* approach for an aggressive panther. Would just take him straight outside. That method worked much faster for me and within like 2 weeks he would run out of the cage onto my arm. This was a chameleon that almost ripped part of my finger off lol

Thats a stunning tamatave, as for feeding the more variety the better. Cut the meal worms out of his diet completely. Find a good staple ie, crickets or roaches and gut load them with a variety of fruits veggies and greens as well as a reputable commercial gut load. Personally i use Arcadia insect fuel but there are other good gut loads as well. once you have his staple down mix in other insects randomly.
Horn worms, silk worms, bsfl, bsf, mantids, other roaches, (wax,butter,super worms for a very limited treat).

At first glance I do not see any linear UVB Bulb, is there one or just the two dome lights?

I have a repti sun T-5 (hood and bulb) on its way from Amazon. It’s final day for delivery is tomorrow so fingers crossed. If it’s not here by Sunday I’m gonna go buy one from a pet store and get my money refunded from Amazon. It’s been like a week, but this was a temporary fix.

Tricky question. I know you're just using the word bonding for lack of better words, but I just want to make sure your thoroughly understand that these are not creatures that form attachments like we do! You can get your cham to associate you with things like food or going out in to natural light, which will make them more willing to come to you, but it doesnt mean they will like you.
Just working with them on trust and positive association is all you can do. So offering them a treat only offered by hand and if they come to you for it is one way to do it. Whenever I take my cham out I ALWAYS take him out for some natural light. He is starting to want to come out more and more now. Though I'm starting to think that is in part because he needs a cage upgrade lol.

@Beman can you link your blog for OP?

I’ll have to take him outside tomorrow. Currently he’s climbing my philodendron. I think the hand feeding is starting to pay off. If only I could find a good distributor of silkworms/hornworms. All the pet shops in my area charge exorbitant prices.

I’ll have to take him outside tomorrow. Currently he’s climbing my philodendron. I think the hand feeding is starting to pay off. If only I could find a good distributor of silkworms/hornworms. All the pet shops in my area charge exorbitant prices.
Try some of the site sponsors for your feeders. I just got some silks from Mori Feeders.

Back
Top Bottom