Taking chams outside

tatted1

So I m about to take my adult male veiled outside for the first time since I got him. So the temps in St Louis are about low 80's for a high. So I guess my question is how long is it ok to keep him outside without a warmer basking spot? Does it have to be a sunny day? :eek:

I have a UV meter and in the morning there's no UV at all. Later in the day they get more UV in the shade than they get in the house under the UV bulb. I never put my guys in the direct sun but if it's cool enough you could. It's pretty warm year round where I live. You can keep him out for hours as long as he doesn't get too hot. I sat outside with my guys every evening that weather permits. They love it!

Yeah I bet it sucks to live in Florida... NOT!!I wish I lived there. Its actually been pretty nice here lately. So better to be in the shade than the sun huh? Glad you said that cause I was figuring in the sun wouldve been better.Thanks jann you never let me down.Lol

If your high is only 80 the sun would be fine......in FL we just have to be careful not to cook them. Even in the shade the UV is about 35 and under a bulb 18 to 20 is all they get.

With regards to your question about a warmer basking spot, he'll be fine. At 80, he's fine outdoors as long as he wants and you're willing. If he really wants the direct sun, he might show you by doing the solar panel trick when he gets in the direct sunlight - flattening himself and tilting his body to the best angle to catch the rays.

Jann gives some great advice.

personaly, I live in the NYC area.
just outside I have lots of trees and bushes.
I normaly place him on top of one of the bushes in the sun and after 15 to 20 mins he starts to explore, probably looking for some shade to cool off.
as such, if he doesn't walk into the shade, I then place him in the shade for about another hour or so.

while temps are always a concern (you don't want them too high or low), I also make sure that the humidity is high enough so he gets some moisture from his nose....just something to think about.

also watch out, because my guy likes to eat anything that flys by him such as yellowjacks or large bees.

above all, never take your eye off of your cham.
they can disapear in a flash and a large bird could look at him/her as a nice meal.

Harry

I've been trying to take my chameleon outside for short periods of time in an attempt to get him some sun explosure.

Just be careful if you let him go on anything that isn't yourself. I've had him climb on the back of the chair i've been sitting on (like in this picture)

6329_121161859404_505049404_2344382_5692359_n.jpg

Today he was sitting outside on my shoulder peacefully then climbed off me onto the back of my chair. Eventually, when he was completely off me, I turned round in an attempt to get him off there and bring him back to his cage. As I turn round he falls off the chair and I look down and see a chameleon on my grass (lucky I was at edge of the patio, any closer and he would have landed on concrete). He intially was completely still, which obviously is greatly worrying, thinking i've killed my chameleon. I put my hand out, he climbed on it and I took him back to his cage. Since then he's been moving around fine and everything appears to be in working order. What a relief.

I deffinately wont be letting him on anything that smooth or solid again which he can't get his claws into.

Strange thing is, he seems to have developed some enthusiasm for being handled recently. Or perhaps he just wants to explore the world outside his cage? The last 3 dayas he's ran onto my arms after the cage has been open for a while.

Strange thing is, he seems to have developed some enthusiasm for being handled recently. Or perhaps he just wants to explore the world outside his cage? The last 3 dayas he's ran onto my arms after the cage has been open for a while.

If you've been taking him outside regularly, he may have come to associate that with climbing on your arm. My guy clearly has some expectations about going outside - if he's on my arm and I walk past the front door (e.g. to take him out the back door), he sees the front door, knows what it is, and gets agitated and tries to reach for it.

Good point about being careful where they get to climb. When Thaxter starts climbing about, I keep my thumb and finger in a loose ring around his tail so he has something to catch on to if he loses his balance.

Mine are out all day.........why wouldnt u put them in the sun??? Just make sure they can get some shade when they want it..........even my montanes are outside unless it get way to hot.

Some good advice above....and remember they can move pppppretty fast when they want to....LOL!!

Oh the work is never done with chams is it?! LOL Guess ill have to build some kind of outdoor cham playland for him

No, never done.......and when u think that u can relax, more work pops up!!

Have my Sambava girl(gravid) out on the plum tree right now....she still hasnt laid so thought it would be nice for her to stretch her legs and get some natural sun.......

If you've been taking him outside regularly, he may have come to associate that with climbing on your arm. My guy clearly has some expectations about going outside - if he's on my arm and I walk past the front door (e.g. to take him out the back door), he sees the front door, knows what it is, and gets agitated and tries to reach for it.

Today he tried to move out of his cage twice. Took a little while but he climbed up the open door and just sat there looking around. He went on my arm when I placed it infront of him but I just put him back in his cage as I didn't really have time to take him outside today and it's relatively cold day also. It is possible he has accociated me with going outside and may even accociate that time of day with it also. I also thought it possible that he just wanted to explore the world outside of his cage. I really don't know that much about them, yet.

Some good advice above....and remember they can move pppppretty fast when they want to....LOL!!

Tell me about it! I had hugo on my arm many months ago (when he tolerated me) and we were in the living room, right next to his cage. He saw a bird land on the grass in the garden, and freaked! I just managed to catch him to get him into the cage as he tried to do his usual 'drop and dash'. I would say to anyone who has their cham outside and it isn't in a cage to be very careful with regards to this. I dread to think where he could have ended up if i had him loose on me when i was outside.

Back
Top Bottom