Take a guess

Seriously, don't feel bad. I wanted to see based on the females looks. She was quite the conundrum. I was told by someone who is the top of the field in Mada that they had never seen one with that coloration. It took some Mada field guides as well.

I even thought yours looked like a blue legged chameleon but I didn't pick that one because her legs aren't blue damn it

Both Janet and I are very excited to have these animals. I have waited 9 years to get my hands on some crypticum. I actually already had another female, but I am very happy to have two now!!

Seriously, don't feel bad. I wanted to see based on the females looks. She was quite the conundrum. I was told by someone who is the top of the field in Mada that they had never seen one with that coloration. It took some Mada field guides as well.
Do you think she could be a crossbreed since she has such an odd coloration

The male was not an easy one to identify, either. Joel explained to me some brevicornes are quite blue. There was a tremendous amount of disagreement on the male until the researcher in Madagascar did a lot of digging. Joel, I wish I had been there with you while these discussions were going on! Hippo looks terrific. (Don't blame me for the name--Joel named him.)

Do you think she could be a crossbreed since she has such an odd coloration

Great question. I am always looking at imports and wondering if some are hybrids. This was my thought as well after I was reluctant to give up the fact she was not an amber. But, this is actually the look of crypticum in another area of Mada. Also, this is apparently how the gravid females display. She is most certainly gravid. Which is also exciting!!

The male was not an easy one to identify, either. Joel explained to me some brevicornes are quite blue. There was a tremendous amount of disagreement on the male until the researcher in Madagascar did a lot of digging. Joel, I wish I had been there with you while these discussions were going on! Hippo looks terrific. (Don't blame me for the name--Joel named him.)

Oh man, the male was a handful. I am only talking about the female. The male took so many people to identify correctly. I had people from Europe, U.S and Mada weighing in on his identification. He is amazing and I am so glad he is crypt and not brev.

Yes, I named him Hippocampus because their tails are exceptionally long. And when he hunts he anchors with his tail and swivels about. He looks like a seahorse....which is Hippocampus. Surely I'm not alone in this....right people!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom