Tail Problems?!

I’ve had a veiled chameleon for a few months now and everything has been fine, his 2 recent sheds took longer than 3 days but I had spray and upped the humidity and it all fell off! Idk when it started but I took my Chameleon outside to be on a tree Monday (7-1) and I just noticed this yesterday but the very tip of his tail looks like it’s rotting? I am taking it to the vet but they are not open on weekends. Anything I can do at home???

Attachments

• 6F640DBF-0A20-424F-A176-2DCA3E64C0DE.jpeg
    6F640DBF-0A20-424F-A176-2DCA3E64C0DE.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 193
I’ve had a veiled chameleon for a few months now and everything has been fine, his 2 recent sheds took longer than 3 days but I had spray and upped the humidity and it all fell off! Idk when it started but I took my Chameleon outside to be on a tree Monday (7-1) and I just noticed this yesterday but the very tip of his tail looks like it’s rotting? I am taking it to the vet but they are not open on weekends. Anything I can do at home???
The black spots I’m just now noticing as I took this picture! ☹️ They were not there yesterday

Taking him to the vet at this point is the way to go. It kinda looks like it was crushed by something. The end looks necrotic and I don’t think it will grow back. I think you may be able to use neosporin on it until you see the vet.

Sorry to see that. It does look like a bacterial infection. Did you notice a scrape on his tail at the end of the outdoor trip?
I didn’t notice anything unusual when I brought him back, I just stare at the pictures I took and can see the extreme tip is bent but wasn’t black or anything

Taking him to the vet at this point is the way to go. It kinda looks like it was crushed by something. The end looks necrotic and I don’t think it will grow back. I think you may be able to use neosporin on it until you see the vet.
Crushed? Oh man, I’m doing research to see if my younger siblings could’ve handled him without me knowing, but would anything else besides something physical cause this?

Thank you! But I know this may be completely unrelated but I’ve been reading on here and people mention MBD, what is that?
MBD= Metabolic bone disease
In a nutshell it is a calcium/phosphorus imbalance that causes malformation in the bones of chams and other reptiles. Supplements and lighting (UVB) are critical in preventing it. If you are concerned we can help you out. :)

MBD= Metabolic bone disease
In a nutshell it is a calcium/phosphorus imbalance that causes malformation in the bones of chams and other reptiles. Supplements and lighting (UVB) are critical in preventing it. If you are concerned we can help you out. :)
Oh okay! & thank you but I’ve spent a pretty penny on him to prevent that so I know that’s not a issue but this right here is just killing me!

One possible cause of tail tip loss is Vitamin A deficiency. There are several more like strangulation stricture from a shed, crushing injury or burn.
Make sure the vitamin supplement you have been using has vitamin A as retinol not just beta carotene.

Back
Top Bottom