Tail prob?

King4Zerg

Hello, as I got up this morning I sprayed my chams cage and he is in the middle of shedding, but he was acting different, he wanted to come out of his cage as soon as I got close to his cage he got on the mesh and tried to follow me, so I let him out when I brought him out I noticed a small red tail end and here I am.

It's hard to get a good pic of him because he doesn't like my phone but this is the best I got

Attachments

• tail.jpg
    tail.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 105
· Your Chameleon – My chameleon is a Male Veiled chameleon. I’ve had him for 21 weeks he is 6 months old though.

· Handling – Not a lot I just started doing it a little a day because he is starting to tame up.

· Feeding – Crickets mostly. Ten a day. Right now I’m feeding my crickets oranges.

· Supplements – I dust my crickets with ReptiCalcium without D3 and with D3, and I also use rep-cal Herptivite. I dust my crickets with cal without D3 almost always, except on Sundays I use herpivite, and twice a month I use cal with D3(the 7 and the 15)

· Watering -I just spray the hole cage. I mist three to four times a day, and I make sure it’s all wet. Sometimes yes I’m not watching him all the time but yes I do see him drink.

· Fecal Description – Normal brown, and his urates are white, and no he has not been tested for parasites.

· History – He was bred in a reptile shop and grown a couple weeks there and then I got him.
Cage Info: Medium Zoo-med reptibreeze, I’m working on a custom cage that will be about six-foot-tall and the width I’m decided what would work best.

· Cage Type – I have a screen repti-breeze medium.

· Lighting -I have a mercury bulb. I turn it on at 7 or 8 AM and I turn it off at 10:30Pm/

· Temperature – my temp is 90ish basking and the bottom is in the 70-80s. I don’t know the night temp, I have a thermometer in the cage and I have a small one that I check certain areas.

· Humidity – 70-58, Spraying multiple times a day. My thermometer in the cage tells me the humidity also.

· Plants – I am not at the moment.

· Placement – the cage is near an unused fan, the top of my cage is 73” off the ground.

· Location – I’m in Florida

I did not PULL or rip his shedding at all! my theory was he got his tale caught in something like if we get poked or hit we get bruises blood under the skin that's what I thought, also his little tail has a scab under the shedding

I would apply triple anti-biotic ointment (neosporin) and keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse consider a vet appointment.

I will do that it's gonna be tough because he doesn't like my hand touching his tail.....I can manage. How many times a week, before I call the vet if it doesn't get better?

I would apply it daily. If it moves up the tail at all or you see it spread to new areas I would go in right away. Since I don't actually know what it is I don't know how long it will take to heal. If you have any concerns it's not wrong to let a vet check it out now.

I did not PULL or rip his shedding at all! my theory was he got his tale caught in something like if we get poked or hit we get bruises blood under the skin that's what I thought, also his little tail has a scab under the shedding

I hear ya. It's weird that it coincides with the shedding. I wonder if loose shed got caught on something and pulled it to hard. Maybe it startled him and he moved away, and snagged it? Either way, good advice above. I'm willing to be most times, with most pets, we never get full closure on how some injuries occurred.

No one said you did.

· Your Chameleon – My chameleon is a Male Veiled chameleon. I’ve had him for 21 weeks he is 6 months old though.

· Handling – Not a lot I just started doing it a little a day because he is starting to tame up.

· Feeding – Crickets mostly. Ten a day. Right now I’m feeding my crickets oranges.

· Supplements – I dust my crickets with ReptiCalcium without D3 and with D3, and I also use rep-cal Herptivite. I dust my crickets with cal without D3 almost always, except on Sundays I use herpivite, and twice a month I use cal with D3(the 7 and the 15)

· Watering -I just spray the hole cage. I mist three to four times a day, and I make sure it’s all wet. Sometimes yes I’m not watching him all the time but yes I do see him drink.

· Fecal Description – Normal brown, and his urates are white, and no he has not been tested for parasites.

· History – He was bred in a reptile shop and grown a couple weeks there and then I got him.
Cage Info: Medium Zoo-med reptibreeze, I’m working on a custom cage that will be about six-foot-tall and the width I’m decided what would work best.

· Cage Type – I have a screen repti-breeze medium.

· Lighting -I have a mercury bulb. I turn it on at 7 or 8 AM and I turn it off at 10:30Pm/

· Temperature – my temp is 90ish basking and the bottom is in the 70-80s. I don’t know the night temp, I have a thermometer in the cage and I have a small one that I check certain areas.

· Humidity – 70-58, Spraying multiple times a day. My thermometer in the cage tells me the humidity also.

· Plants – I am not at the moment.

· Placement – the cage is near an unused fan, the top of my cage is 73” off the ground.

· Location – I’m in Florida
Since no one has mentioned some of this, only handle if he asks for it (climbs onto you). Also add in either more organic fresh fruits and veggies to his gutload (there’s a gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or a quality commercial gutload, like Cricket Crack, Pangea Gutload, or Repashy Bug Burger. Use Herptivite every two weeks instead of every week, though I’d switch to Zoo Med Reptivite without D3. Zoo Med’s supplements are better than RepCal’s. Mercury vapor bulbs aren’t the best. I recommend gettting a linear fixture (t5HO or T8) and uvb bulb (strength depends on cage height) and a white light heat bulb for basking instead.

Back
Top Bottom