T. Montiums hatched TODAY!

Update: All of the hatchlings are doing well, drinking readily and all fairly robust looking. I have them set up for 30 seconds or so of fine mist 3 times daily in addition to hand misting and occasionally turning on the fogger. They move SO slowly, though, it seems like they are having trouble catching their food. I've offered them a steady supply of fruit flies and pinheads and while they all eat, it's definitely not the strong feeding response I've seen from other species' babies. Anyone else notice this with montium neonates? Any tips on making sure they get enough food?

You are correct, they do not have a strong feeding response as compared to other species.

Not sure there is a way to know they eating there fill in a community set up (feces). The overall size and urates tell how things are going. Sounds like you are giving them optimum care at the moment. If they are willing, you are giving ;)

If you have the space. Separating into smaller groups should help lower competition.

Good luck.

Edit: We need more pics!

quick update: they are all still alive and doing exceptionally well! I have had some trouble raising montane species in the past but I think I (accidentally) stumbled across a working method to raise these guys. One day a week or so ago I left the fogger on in the morning as I left for work. I wasn't able to get home to turn it off until several hours later, but instead of finding the babies stressed out and inundated, they looked amazing. The time with the fogger had increased their activity, improved their feeding response, and just made them look better and healthier all around. Since then I've had the fogger set to go off three times daily for 45 minutes each.
So far so good, and they appear to be growing well on a diet of fruit flies and pinheads (fed w/ montane mix cricket crack). I'll probably have to separate a few out soon that aren't growing quite as quickly as the rest. Already starting to see a range of color on them.

I know right, of course my iphone just went through the wash so no instant gratification on pics. The fogger has been huge although I should point out that I clean the whole cage fairly regularly to prevent bacterial/mold build up and I bleach out the fogger's tubing (it's a zoomed reptifogger, still soldiering on after 3 years or so of use) once weekly.

I'll see if I can't get some halfway decent pics up tomorrow

Water and phones dont do well together thats for sure. Cant wait to see the progress.

I just put another clutch in the incubator ;)

As requested, a few updated shots of the babies. And a shot of mom, currently very gravid and due to lay any time now :D

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 140
My female is currently laying eggs.

I'm just astonished that after doing a search on the forum, we have surprisingly SEVERAL nearly identical threads about people remarking about their montiums laying eggs...and then nothing. I rarely if ever see any followup CB babies for sale.

I really think we should be exchanging offspring to strengthen the captive populations. Is there some underground mailing list I'm not aware of? If so, let me know! I'd like to exchange babies with other people if there are any around.

My female was so gravid I could see eggs bulging through her back right near her tail bone. On both sides, like a water bottle taped to her back. She even ate two roaches while scavenging for a laying spot, which was unusual in my experience. I thought most moms aren't in the mood to eat when they're about to lay. I kept her hydrated, but I guess not enough food. I switched from dubia to discoid nymphs, as I figured the harder shell of the roaches would contribute more in the way of calcium.

This is the first time I've had a female deposit eggs and live. Actually the last time (you can search my posts) an oustaleti female died eggbound, and I cut her stomach and got the eggs out, and those are still incubating. So far so good with my montium! I figure it would make sense to incubate at 67-70 degree Fahrenheit - a good 2-4 degrees cooler in the earth than where the chams are up in the trees.

I wish Chris Anderson would comment on that.

I do agree on setting up a group to exchange babies and start a good captive bred population. Several of my friends and I are currently doing just that. We will sell extra babies, but first from each clutch we all trade to get what each of us needs. It is a good way to work for a sustaining captive bred population.

Just start a thread in the breeding section, and one in the wanted section, saying you want to set up some trading of blood. Good luck.

My female is currently laying eggs.

I'm just astonished that after doing a search on the forum, we have surprisingly SEVERAL nearly identical threads about people remarking about their montiums laying eggs...and then nothing. I rarely if ever see any followup CB babies for sale.

I really think we should be exchanging offspring to strengthen the captive populations. Is there some underground mailing list I'm not aware of? If so, let me know! I'd like to exchange babies with other people if there are any around.

My female was so gravid I could see eggs bulging through her back right near her tail bone. On both sides, like a water bottle taped to her back. She even ate two roaches while scavenging for a laying spot, which was unusual in my experience. I thought most moms aren't in the mood to eat when they're about to lay. I kept her hydrated, but I guess not enough food. I switched from dubia to discoid nymphs, as I figured the harder shell of the roaches would contribute more in the way of calcium.

This is the first time I've had a female deposit eggs and live. Actually the last time (you can search my posts) an oustaleti female died eggbound, and I cut her stomach and got the eggs out, and those are still incubating. So far so good with my montium! I figure it would make sense to incubate at 67-70 degree Fahrenheit - a good 2-4 degrees cooler in the earth than where the chams are up in the trees.

I wish Chris Anderson would comment on that.

My baby from ataraxia is doing great! Oliver:
IMG_0133_zps10b8ff7f.jpg

I've been trying to get a female from this last import for him in the future but the importer sold out from under me and now the other person that has some of the import group will only sell in pairs but I only need a female. :(

Im not sure if its the same importer or if he is selling pairs but look at the wanted add triceros because the person who started the thread said he would give the persons info that gave a t. montium through a PM.

Back
Top Bottom