Hatching Panther Chameleons!! Exposed faces but no movement in 6 hours since I noticed it.

aapuzzo

I checked today and 2 of my 4 Panther Chameleon eggs have noses sticking out from splits in the side of the eggs. This is the first time I checked them in a few days because after months you get lazy and start to forget. At 4am last night for some reason I got the urge to check on them and noticed what thought looked like 2 of my eggs started to mold through the side of the container after 6 months of getting them off Ebay. I opened up the container and to my surprise I can see inside the egg split open a fully formed head so either they are taking a break or died hatching which I don't see what that would happen now. It wasn't like they hatched walked around and I forgot to remove them. The other 2 eggs are have sweat and haven't started hatching yet but they must be on their way as well. This morning 6 hours later I checked on them again and I don't see any progress. I know with Chickens this is normal after an egg piped since it exerts a ton of energy before they make the final push. At what point do I do something? I know people online remove snakes from eggs after the first sign of one hatching in the clutch.

My closet is maybe 70 degrees and I could move them under a heat light set to 74 or higher . I made sure the container still looks humid after opening it. I see some condensation on the sides. Right now I placed them back in the dark closet.

i don't have experience with them but you should send pictures so someone who's experienced can help you out.

Don't put them under the heat ...it will dry the eggs out and the belies might get stuck toothed shell.
don't leave the lid off for very long when you're checking on them either.

You said the first two you can see...did the shell open on the side of the egg or at the end of the egg?

Hatchlings will often laybin the egg resting for quite a while after the egg pips (resting and absorbing any yolk that is left)....but sometimes eggs burst and the babies will actually be dead. This is what is trying to determine without disturbing the babies.

Can you take a photo for me so I can see what's going on please.

Last edited:
Don't put them under the heat ...it will dry the eggs out and the belies might get stuck toothed shell.
don't leave the lid off for very long when you're checking on them either.

You said the first two you can see...did the shell open on the side of the egg or at the end of the egg?

Hatchlings will often laybin the egg resting for quite a while after the egg pips (resting and absorbing any yolk that is left)....but sometimes eggs burst and the babies will actually be dead. This is what is trying to determine without disturbing the babies.

Can you take a photo for me so I can see what's going on please.
20210107_034421.jpg
20210107_034459.jpg

I think this is where they are supposed to break through. It doesn't look dead because any reptile I ever had that dies has sunken in eyes in no time. Also the shells don't look like they are anywhere near drying out. When I mean heat I meant just getting them up to 74 degrees with a thermostat like placing the container on the cool end of one of my temp controlled enclosures. Right now they are in the high 60s which is on the cold side. Will light disturb them at this point?

Glad they're ok!

About to run to the store to pick up a few supplies. I think I'll start with the zilla tank or clean out my cricket bin that has a modified hot glued aluminum top at least for a month. Even in the small hatching container he looks dry with condensation everywhere. I can't see how on earth I would maintain extra high humidity in the winter for a screen enclosure without running my mist king constantly and flooding my house. I do have a humidifier with a really good humidity gauge that powers an electric outlet I used for incubating chicken eggs I'm sure would work great instead of misting non stop. I could even use that in the tank.

The second pipped one hasn't decided to come out yet but the other 2 eggs look a little more clear today. What is the time period before intervening on the pipped one? its not been a day + since I noticed it pipped.

Not trying to sound rude... But what are you planning on feeding them since you do not even have an enclosure ready to go? They eat a ton as hatchlings and if you do not already have your cultures going or access to them your not going to have the appropriate sized feeders.

Not trying to sound rude... But what are you planning on feeding them since you do not even have an enclosure ready to go? They eat a ton as hatchlings and if you do not already have your cultures going or access to them your not going to have the appropriate sized feeders.

I keep and make 10 fruit fly cultures weekly of 3 types, hydei & melonagaster with and without wings because I keep Dart frogs & day geckos. I already have crickets of different sizes for my various reptiles. Maybe these pictures will give you a little confidence. I have a tub with a DIY screen top made with hot glue I used for breeding crickets I don't do anymore, and an Exo Terra / Zilla's of various sizes. I could toss something together in a minutes notice if needed in addition to what is in the last picture. I am just asking because I want the best and I'm being OCD and I want to know how to assemble the Legos because I already have all the pieces except a screen enclosure. I have a 1ft T5 HO ready to go and will add it into my mistking system but as babies they may need a little extra misting so I may add another pump/ timer into my bucket so I can run another schedule/loop. I have over the last few years read and seen videos that screen enclosures may not be the best in dry cold climates and I just wanted a final word before moving forward to see if the community changed their mind again.

Note I don't have the empty tanks in the pictures and I could use the Zilla in the last picture by just cleaning it adding fresh paper towels. The last picture shows a little dripper that I had drain into a container that just needs a screen over it so they don't down. I have hardware cloth which will serve that purpose if needed. If that tank will work with a small computer fan that would be great. If a screen enclosure would be better I could run to the store fast and buy one that's the only thing I don't have but I definitely have enough to serve the immediate needs of almost any typical reptile outside of large monitors.

20210107_155259.jpg
20210104_154436.jpg

20210107_155349.jpg

20210108_142226.jpg

I keep and make 10 fruit fly cultures weekly of 3 types, hydei & melonagaster with and without wings because I keep Dart frogs & day geckos. I already have crickets of different sizes for my various reptiles. Maybe these pictures will give you a little confidence. I have a tub with a DIY screen top made with hot glue I used for breeding crickets I don't do anymore, and an Exo Terra / Zilla's of various sizes. I could toss something together in a minutes notice if needed in addition to what is in the last picture. I am just asking because I want the best and I'm being OCD and I want to know how to assemble the Legos because I already have all the pieces except a screen enclosure. I have a 1ft T5 HO ready to go and will add it into my mistking system but as babies they may need a little extra misting so I may add another pump/ timer into my bucket so I can run another schedule/loop. I have over the last few years read and seen videos that screen enclosures may not be the best in dry cold climates and I just wanted a final word before moving forward to see if the community changed their mind again.

Note I don't have the empty tanks in the pictures and I could use the Zilla in the last picture by just cleaning it adding fresh paper towels. The last picture shows a little dripper that I had drain into a container that just needs a screen over it so they don't down. I have hardware cloth which will serve that purpose if needed. If that tank will work with a small computer fan that would be great. If a screen enclosure would be better I could run to the store fast and buy one that's the only thing I don't have but I definitely have enough to serve the immediate needs of almost any typical reptile outside of large monitors.

View attachment 288150View attachment 288151

View attachment 288152

View attachment 288156
Good I am glad. You would be amazed how many people we get here with hatchlings that have no idea they have to culture the feeders... They seem to think that they can easily get what they will need and all will be well. :)

View attachment 288150View attachment 288151

View attachment 288152

View attachment 288156
Completely off topic, but how big is the gap between the two doors on your bowfront Zilla? I bought one for reed frogs but haven’t set it up because it has a huge gap, and I haven’t seen anyone anywhere talking about the gap or how to fix it. I’m pretty sure my tank isn’t the only one after looking at pictures of others

Good I am glad. You would be amazed how many people we get here with hatchlings that have no idea they have to culture the feeders... They seem to think that they can easily get what they will need and all will be well. :)

I would go broke if I bought cultures but when Covid hit I got fliers into my cultures so I needed to start over. Was not fun trying to find new cultures so I didn't have to live with the fliers. In addition many times new cultures aren't producing yet. Crickets were given a quota so I started breeding them for the time being. Lucky most of my lizards can live on crested gecko diet. I know first hand growing lizards eat way more.

So what would you do in an area with low winter humidity? Choose A through E.

A - Use Zilla with a small fan aiming at it on a smart timer. If it is good for the Chameleons I like this idea because it would just look the best.
B- Do A for a few days and buy a small reptibreeze online.
C - Go out and just buy a medium or larger reptibreeze today. Maybe divide it somehow if you think I need it. I don't plan on keeping all of them but at least I will have something that will work for an adult.
D - Use my cricket bin with the aluminum screen top.
E - Other.

Last edited:
I would go broke if I bought cultures but when Covid hit I got fliers into my cultures so I needed to start over. Was not fun trying to find new cultures so I didn't have to live with the fliers. In addition many times new cultures aren't producing yet. Crickets were given a quota so I started breeding them for the time being. Lucky most of my lizards can live on crested gecko diet. I know first hand growing lizards eat way more.

So what would you do in an area with low winter humidity? Choose A through E.

A - Use Zilla with a small fan aiming at it on a smart timer. If it is good for the Chameleons I like this idea because it would just look the best.
B- Do A for a few days and buy a small reptibreeze online.
C - Go out and just buy a medium or larger reptibreeze today. Maybe divide it somehow if you think I need it. I don't plan on keeping all of them but at least I will have something that will work for an adult.
D - Use my cricket bin with the aluminum screen top.
E - Other.

What do you consider low humidity? With hatchlings you would just have the T5 UVB lighting at the correct distance. No additional heat source. Also live plants are better because it will up your humidity and provide less stagnant air.

I have seen people do it all sorts of ways. I think with the tub or the glass enclosure your better off for that small of babies just because your feeder size is so dang tiny.

What do you consider low humidity? With hatchlings you would just have the T5 UVB lighting at the correct distance. No additional heat source. Also live plants are better because it will up your humidity and provide less stagnant air.

I have seen people do it all sorts of ways. I think with the tub or the glass enclosure your better off for that small of babies just because your feeder size is so dang tiny.

That works for me and is exactly what I was thinking too! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming them by putting them by not using a screen. I can pick up a few live plants tonight. I drill most my glass enclosures for drainage. If I use a fan should I aim it at the front of the enclosure or top down?

As a note the reason I like Exo Terra over Zoomed and Zilla is because the spacing for fruit flies to escape where the glass meets the door is much smaller and typically prevents them for doing so. Zoomed and Zilla have a much larger gap where flies can pass. Another note is not all Exo Terra's are created equal. When picking them up you will find some have a larger gap then others even in the same size tanks. I always check them out when purchasing. Typically I just have to seal the cord ports on the back and the small gap between the center vent and glass on the sides.

That works for me and is exactly what I was thinking too! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming them by putting them by not using a screen. I can pick up a few live plants tonight. I drill most my glass enclosures for drainage. If I use a fan should I aim it at the front of the enclosure or top down?

As a note the reason I like Exo Terra over Zoomed and Zilla is because the spacing for fruit flies to escape where the glass meets the door is much smaller and typically prevents them for doing so. Zoomed and Zilla have a much larger gap where flies can pass. Another note is not all Exo Terra's are created equal. When picking them up you will find some have a larger gap then others even in the same size tanks. I always check them out when purchasing. Typically I just have to seal the cord ports on the back and the small gap between the center vent and glass on the sides.
So not top down... If your using the little computer fans they should be aimed pulling air up and out of the cage not blowing in.

So not top down... If your using the little computer fans they should be aimed pulling air up and out of the cage not blowing in.

Thanks!! Thats what I actually meant. I'll get that set up tonight. How frequently do people usually run them?

Thanks!! Thats what I actually meant. I'll get that set up tonight. How frequently do people usually run them?
Some have them run all the time. Some have them kick on for 15 minutes every hour... it just depends on their set ups. It is more about just having air movement so it does not get stagnate. I do not use them.

Back
Top Bottom