Swollen jaw

Hi, so I really need help with my flap necked chameleon. 2 days ago he had fall and that night his jaw started swelling up and since then I haven’t seen much difference. I’ve done some research and I’ve tried to find a reptile vet in my area but unfortunately there aren’t any close by (Pretoria, South Africa) I have a family member that also has a chameleon and she says it might be a bone dysfunction. He hasn’t really eaten much these past two days and he’s not active at all. When he moves he doesn’t really stand properly but instead it’s almost like he drags his belly on the ground... Does anyone have any advice that could help?

Attachments

• DE2F3B92-80E1-4AF1-9282-25CF828A2C16.jpeg
    DE2F3B92-80E1-4AF1-9282-25CF828A2C16.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 3DE87EB9-1881-4CC6-991B-68BDB78243DC.jpeg
    3DE87EB9-1881-4CC6-991B-68BDB78243DC.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 40F0CB67-1034-43E9-9F4E-7EFD439F2793.jpeg
    40F0CB67-1034-43E9-9F4E-7EFD439F2793.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Often over supplementing can cause ediema but the fact you say it fell is a worry. It could be just swollen soft tissue but could also be bone damage. The only way to tell is vet visit I'm afraid.

Then we need to look at why a cham has a fall in the first place. Definitely not usual in a healthy animal.

Hope you find someone and the little guy is OK.

Often over supplementing can cause ediema but the fact you say it fell is a worry. It could be just swollen soft tissue but could also be bone damage. The only way to tell is vet visit I'm afraid.

Then we need to look at why a cham has a fall in the first place. Definitely not usual in a healthy animal.

Hope you find someone and the little guy is OK.
I took him outside for natural sun light, it had been raining and he slipped when trying to climb onto a metal pole. I will try and find a vet. In the meantime, I will keep an eye on him... I really hope he isn’t hurt.

I give it to him every second feeding but I recently read that I should only give him calcium and D3 once every 2 weeks and then just calcium every feeding ... keep in mind I’ve only had him for a month

Since he is so small he can easily become D3 overdosed in that period of time, no doubt. D3 OD presents as:

Edema
Sleeping during the day
Shakey/unsure footing
General loss of coordination

I think the D3 overdose has reduced his coordination to the point that it is probably a factor in his fall.

All you can do is to run as much water as you can through him. Either way he needs a vet.

Back
Top Bottom