swollen Glands, Eyes, and veil

Hey guys I wanted to get your opinions
I was thinking about talking to the vet about giving Herbie a Vitamin A shot sense he may be suffering from a defictioncy. what do you all think?

The main think I am worried about is over loading his system but the new source in his diet has helped so much, I would like to see if a shot would bring the swelling in his veil down even further.

So my options are medician vs a more natural way

Aeris 2126: I would love to know how your cham reacted to the shot he was given.

Last edited:
Well after being given the shot he was a bit grumpy for the rest of the day, not very responsive. But the next day he was active and moving around and he kept it up for about 5 days, the vet thinks that he has a condition other than a vitamin deficiency though, so I probably wont be able to help you much since he has relapsed. sigh. I feel so powerless.

I am not qualified to offer my own opinion, but I think discussing it with your vet would be a good idea. If you do, make sure to let her know you are worried about the toxicity of vitA and giving Herbie too much. Also, from the reading I have done you probably would want to hold off on giving preformed vitA for a while after giving the shot.

If Herbie's food source contains beta carotene, he should be creating the vitA he needs. There can be other factors though that interfere with that process, and that is where my understanding begins to break down. Wish I could offer more help.

Current research is showing that at least panthers aren't believed to be able to utilize carotenoids for the required levels of preformed vitamin A. Gary Ferguson recommends gutloading feeders with diets containing ample amounts of vitamin A and if vitamin A deficiency appears, to correct it with a single dose of 4,000 to 8,000 IU of vitamin A suspended in corn oil administered orally. You should mention this to your vet!

Thanks for the info Chris. I have briefly read about new research on vitA, but had never seen anything specific to panthers. This is somewhat contrary to what I have advised others :(. Proper gutloading really is essential.

I was browsing ChameleonNews today and found: An Interview with Dr. Gary W. Ferguson. Excellent info in case anyone else is interested. VitaminA is only briefly mentioned, but the article is worth a read.

hey, it sounds like we have a similar problem with the eyes. my chamy has a very swollen right eye...comes and go. at its peak he cant see forward so hunting is impossible since he cant see depth perception with one eye. ive take him to a vet and they are not sure what it is. they gave him anti imflamatory and eye drops....although no success. i will be posting a pic later on tonight so u can see. dont really know where to go from here?

Back
Top Bottom