Sweet Set up!!

LuckyFitto

Hey guys, so today after a lot of driving, my gas light is now on.. =(. but the good news is i got all the things i needed for my new aquarium. Its half water, half land. right now it currently has 2 fire belly newts, and a fire belly toad. they were in the same cage in the pet store, and they are doing great! i fed them and saw the toad eat 3 crickets.. but didnt see the newts eat yet. im just curiouse to see if you guys have any ideas for some creatures i can add in there safely.. some ideas i have are :

baby turtle
sucker fish(mainly for cleaning)
underwater frog(i believe there called african pigmy frog (i think))
ummm fresh water crabs?

any advice or ideas are great thanks!!

not really sure on the answer for that. but i know where you can find it. The Old Town Aquarium.

http://www.oldtownaquarium.com/

in old town near lincoln park. in my opinion the best aquarium store i've ever been to. it's like going to the Shed but everythings for sale. also the staff is very knowledgable. i had a 200 dollar a month habit at that store.

-A baby turtle... is just that. A baby. Likely reaching an adult size of closer to a foot long than smaller than one.
-Remember to look into filtration, and the requirements of the fish, as its likely not being filled with what you crently have.
-There are African clawed frogs and African Dwarf frogs. The former is not suitable because of its size and appetite.

thanks for the advice.. i ordered a baby turtle off the internet so it should be here soon. right now just have a fresh water crab in there feeding it blood worms, its eating A LOT. anyone know if i should feed it once a week or everyday? right now just feeding it once every three days..

i read that the crab and turtle shouldnt be a problem together but does anyone have any personal experience? i know its kind of an odd mix so please leave advice!! thanks!!

Well, there are a lot of incorrect things written on the net arent there.

A baby turtle is a broad thing to say. Nothing was detailed about species.

The only time I considered cohabitating a turtle with anything was when I had a tank with florspace of around 20- 24 square feet. Even then it was with a full grown male mississipi map turtle (very small species/sex and also shy). We tested him there for a full day of constant monitoring to see if he botthered the fish, or the frogs. After that care was taken to insure that nothing was harrassed, whcih was easy since someone was always working within sight and a few steps of the habitat.

Sorry, I assumed differently, but maybe you have a tank that large... shouldn't assume.

haha, no i dont have a habitat nearly that big.. im assuming you had an outdoor pond.. always wanted to make one of those.. any advice on that? right now i just have a 30 gallon long tank...i ordered a red ear slider turtle.. im not really sure how big they get to be honest..:rolleyes: but im assuming ill have to upgrade tank sizes in a year or so?

No, it was an indoor tank.

Now, honestly, don't you think that you should have found out how big that turtle will grow? how long it lives? What it eats?

Red ear sliders... where to begin. Better yet, you should cancel the order and put in the time learning about them first

where the hell did you fit that kind of tank inside your house? 20 by 24 feet?! thats crazyy i didnt some research earlier today about the turtle seems likea good beginners turtle... and like i said im willing to upgrade sizes if necessary.

i ordered a red ear slider turtle.. im not really sure how big they get to be honest..:rolleyes: but im assuming ill have to upgrade tank sizes in a year or so?

Yeah, you ought to at least glance at a caresheet before you order an animal.

Cancel your order before it ships. You obviously have no idea what you're getting into if you're planning to keep all of those animals in the same 30 gallon tank, even for a short time.

That red eared slider will end up being a foot and a half long and needing a pond if you don't kill it with inadequate care first. Fire belly newts sure are expensive turtle food.

Id also like to inquire about the legallity here... I'm not entirely up to date with the US law on turtles, however if I recal correctly, it is illegal to sell turtles under the size of 4" shell length unless for education and formal scientific research.

So, that means this turtle is already at least 4 inches shell length and should have plenty more that 1.5 Square feet of aquatic floorspace.

Actually Will, I work at an LFS and if someone comes in the store and says it is for educational purposes than we are legally able to sell it!! Most of our baby red ears are about 2" long!!

-So I was right about the law, it's just that people lie to bypass it.
-So the turtle arriving for this user could be under the size, but only if the company deals illegally or they lied.

We had 4 fire belly newts that we purchased from a petstore, After them telling me they eat beta pellets i quickly learned they do not and i had to break down and face my fear of crickets(lol) well the 2 bigger newts actually ate the other 2 smaller ones(ewwwww) But i was told that they could not be in the same cage as any other animal (except the firebelly toads) because they are highly toxic, they emmit a poisen out of their skin. Now i don't know how true it is and honestly i didn't do any reaserch on them they were $3.00 a piece so it wasn't really a biggie(i know it sounds bad) My mom had bought them for my son for his birthday and after finding out they ate live crickets i wasn't enthused to keep them. Anyway the 2 that didn't eat eachother lived well for a 1 1/2 or so, I kept them in a 10 gallon aquarium tank with 1/2 rocks(not the fish rocks real pebbles) Built up on one side and water about 4-5 inches deep in the other half and a fiter water system. As for Turtles I heard they get really big they are really cute when they are small but make sure you find out what the adult size will be before you get it. I know this thread is a few months old but i would love to hear an update if you got them.

Ah, the aesthetic appeal of a reptile/amphibian community habitat.
It sounds so great!
Unfortunately the actual possibilities are extremely limited and not nearly as exciting as what we dream of.
I have two things to say about the turtle:

1. This is the number one abandoned/relinquished pet turtle (at least in the states) I could get you a couple hundred adults in pretty short order if you're willing to pay the adoption fees. There are literally thousands of them in reptile rescues and very few that get adopted out.

2. This turtle will eat, or at least try to eat anything and everything ... including your newts, your toads and your crab.

-Brad

Yeah, you ought to at least glance at a caresheet before you order an animal.

Cancel your order before it ships. You obviously have no idea what you're getting into if you're planning to keep all of those animals in the same 30 gallon tank, even for a short time.

That red eared slider will end up being a foot and a half long and needing a pond if you don't kill it with inadequate care first. Fire belly newts sure are expensive turtle food.

A small red eared slider is fine in an aquarium. once the turtle gets to be a few months old he starts to get a taste for everything around him. We had one of our turtles in with about $300 worth of fish and we didnt think he was big enough to eat them yet. We get home one day and have about $5 worth of fish in the aquarium... that night all there was was a turtle.

Turtles are super easy to take care of but they do get huge. I have a 10 year old red eared slider in a 50 gallon tank and the tank is getting a bit small. We are planning to build him a pond and put him and the other turtle both into the pond together.

The turtle is about a foot long in length. Make sure youhave a heat light on the basking area for him to get out of the water wand warm up on. Other than that turtles are way easy to take care of and are not picky about their food. U do need to get a strong filter on your tank cuz they get really messy. Turtles are like my ball python, you keep him clean and fed and he is happy. They really ARE that easy to care for.

We had 4 fire belly newts that we purchased from a petstore, After them telling me they eat beta pellets i quickly learned they do not and i had to break down and face my fear of crickets(lol) well the 2 bigger newts actually ate the other 2 smaller ones(ewwwww) But i was told that they could not be in the same cage as any other animal (except the firebelly toads) because they are highly toxic, they emmit a poisen out of their skin. Now i don't know how true it is and honestly i didn't do any reaserch on them they were $3.00 a piece so it wasn't really a biggie(i know it sounds bad) My mom had bought them for my son for his birthday and after finding out they ate live crickets i wasn't enthused to keep them. Anyway the 2 that didn't eat eachother lived well for a 1 1/2 or so, I kept them in a 10 gallon aquarium tank with 1/2 rocks(not the fish rocks real pebbles) Built up on one side and water about 4-5 inches deep in the other half and a fiter water system. As for Turtles I heard they get really big they are really cute when they are small but make sure you find out what the adult size will be before you get it. I know this thread is a few months old but i would love to hear an update if you got them.

yah i was like 7 and my cousin bought me a newt, we were told they eat regular fish food... needless to say my newt didnt last long :(

They r super cool though and i would get another if i had the room.

baby turtle --- I wouldn't normally they eat fish and they might find your newts as dinner.

sucker fish(mainly for cleaning)---- might be okay

underwater frog(i believe there called african pigmy frog (i think))-- - - if you do this you want to make sure that he is big enough so the toads dont eat him.

ummm fresh water crabs?----- pinchers may be a danger.

If your pet store sells SMALL feeder fish, you may want to get some. My toads LOVED them.,

Back
Top Bottom