Sweet potato vine

janjan20

Chameleon Enthusiast
Any one have one of these in there viv? It’s non toxic to cats, dogs, horses.

Attachments

• 25C17A8E-AF41-41D5-A74F-2BCBD338B8C0.jpeg
    25C17A8E-AF41-41D5-A74F-2BCBD338B8C0.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 291
  • C526A144-BB4F-4E35-BA7E-636F14966143.jpeg
    C526A144-BB4F-4E35-BA7E-636F14966143.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 215
I believe they are toxic at certain doses, probably lower for an animal than a person. All morning glory vines have this ability I believe. Similar to LSD apparently....
but what part of the plant produces the seeds? I grew these outside when I lived in North Carolina. The anoles and the tree frogs loved them. But they never seemed to be trippin lol

but what part of the plant produces the seeds? I grew these outside when I lived in North Carolina. The anoles and the tree frogs loved them. But they never seemed to be trippin lol

I'm pretty sure they're safe, it's just the seeds themselves from the flower? I'm no expert on them haha, but from my understanding that's the only concerning part. And many of them don't flower when kept indoors in pots or whatever(I think) so it's not really a concern idt unless you have a lot of seeds and a cham that is just chowing down on them

I'm pretty sure they're safe, it's just the seeds themselves from the flower? I'm no expert on them haha, but from my understanding that's the only concerning part. And many of them don't flower when kept indoors in pots or whatever(I think) so it's not really a concern idt unless you have a lot of seeds and a cham that is just chowing down on them
Yeah that was what I was thinking... They grow fast as heck though and do well with humidity and moisture. I liked how thick the vines were as well. I thought about getting these for Beman but could not find any for sure info on them. But I wanted them for the outdoor enclosure I was going to build him.

I have read mixed info on cats and dogs eating it and it causing diarrhea. l would be keeping it outside so I’m sure it will flourish lol. I have never seen Basil eat any of his plants and they all look intact but he could develop a taste later in life?

I ended up not getting it. I’ll need to do more research. The vines were really thick and that’s what really attracted me to them. Lol

I have no info on this but I have grown poisonous and psychoactive plants and this does not appear to have the same risks as some of those.

That being said -- be REAL careful with anything potentially psychoactive. Many people thought only the seeds of Datura were toxic but they were mistaken.

If Beman has seen animals on them their probably good-- but did the anoles chomp on them is the question.

I have no answers! Only more questions!

I have no info on this but I have grown poisonous and psychoactive plants and this does not appear to have the same risks as some of those.

That being said -- be REAL careful with anything potentially psychoactive. Many people thought only the seeds of Datura were toxic but they were mistaken.

If Beman has seen animals on them their probably good-- but did the anoles chomp on them is the question.

I have no answers! Only more questions!
I never noticed them eating them but they seemed to have no issues living in them... So skin contact would appear to have been ok. There was one distinct male anole that was always in it and then we had baby anoles that showed up. The tree frogs would get in them as well and sleep during the day.

Back
Top Bottom