Sweet baby arrived!!!!

Arpretty

Avid Member
Our wee little man arrived yesterday!!!! Crazy story - as I was tracking his shipment through Fedex, it changed from delivery by 11:00 a.m., to 12:00 p.m., to "end of day." Ohhhhh heck no! I was able to get dispatch to contact the driver to prioritize his shipment. He ended up being delivered at 2:04 p.m.
Yesterday, he climbed out of his cup with lots of energy and ate 8 BSFL. So far, he's not touched the house or banded crickets, dubia or superworms. I suppose a varying appetite is normal during the first few days...

Current hobbies include leaf-walking and wrapping around branches 😁 I have the curtain up for privacy.
He is three months old. Is his size okay for that age? We have a wellness exam scheduled for first available, April 16.

Attachments

• DSCN3032.JPG
    DSCN3032.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN3040.JPG
    DSCN3040.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN3045.JPG
    DSCN3045.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 109
  • Arrival1.jpg
    Arrival1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Arrival2.jpg
    Arrival2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 108
WELL the joy of chameleons must include health concerns, right?! I noticed this bulge from his vent today. Is this cause for concern? DSCN3056.JPG DSCN3058.JPG

WELL the joy of chameleons must include health concerns, right?! I noticed this bulge from his vent today. Is this cause for concern? View attachment 296841View attachment 296842
Has it popped back in? Did he poop? The pale color makes me think it’s shed stuck in his cloaca...like a sperm plug. Hopefully isn’t some sort of prolapse and also hopefully a member more experienced than me will weigh in on it. In the meantime, if you see any red or color other than the pale/whitish coming out, put a dab of water based lubricant on it and vet ASAP.

Has it popped back in? Did he poop? The pale color makes me think it’s shed stuck in his cloaca...like a sperm plug. Hopefully isn’t some sort of prolapse and also hopefully a member more experienced than me will weigh in on it. In the meantime, if you see any red or color other than the pale/whitish coming out, put a dab of water based lubricant on it and vet ASAP.
Right, I was looking at images of prolapses and it doesn't seem to be quite in that realm (knock on wood!!!)...I gather he would be too young for it to be a sperm plug? He has not pooped since he got here, I'm hopeful that could help ease the blockage??

Right, I was looking at images of prolapses and it doesn't seem to be quite in that realm (knock on wood!!!)...I gather he would be too young for it to be a sperm plug? He has not pooped since he got here, I'm hopeful that could help ease the blockage??
I may be wrong, but I believe sperm plugs aren’t really sperm but are the shed skin of the hemipenes. As babies tend to shed often, maybe that’s what it is. Kind of just guessing here.

I may be wrong, but I believe sperm plugs aren’t really sperm but are the shed skin of the hemipenes. As babies tend to shed often, maybe that’s what it is. Kind of just guessing here.
Hey, your guesses are totally welcome!! I'll just keep an eye on it for now. I do believe he ate most of his crickets today, so maybe a nice poop will be in his future.

I’d keep that moist and if it’s still there in the morning a vet visit is in order. I don’t believe babies can get a sperm plug.
Thank you for your advice! The closest emergency vet I know of is 2 hours from me. Is this a doable trip for a baby??

@kinyonga @jannb
Hi, so I was able to get him out and did a sugar/water soak on the area (followed the response @jannb left on another member's thread not too long ago). I then applied water based lubricant with a qtip and gently kind of massaged the area with it. The protrusion (the hemipenis, my guess) went back inside. Once I put him back in the cage, it came out again, though not as much...it's a much smaller protrusion now. SO I'm thinking it's some type of prolapse and he should see a vet?

It would be a 2 hour drive, he hasn't eaten this morning. I'm so afraid that all this stress will kill him...........

Back
Top Bottom