Sweating egg turned dark

Scott85

I have been incubating a clutch of 10 carpet cham eggs since 10.14.09. Last night I noticed that one of them had shrunk about half of its size and it was sweating. I checked on it this morning and it had dimpled slightly but no slit in the egg. Upon returning home from work it has now started to turn dark in color. Im not sure if it is the shell itself of more of a translucent view to what is inside. There is some variation to the color, reddish yellow at one end and bluish brown on the other. I was reading another post about cutting the eggs open before they change color, if they havent started to come out on their own. I guess my question is, it this normal to have it change from its normal white to a darker color before hatching?

Theres no opening anywhere on it. It has dented and deflated though, it is no longer rounded. It only sweated for maybe a few hours. It was totally normal yesterday (monday) morning, white and same as the others. Around 8pm it had just a few drops on it and it was about half the size. Tuesday morning there was a little dent at one end, but no slit. The dents have now gotten larger and the dark color is more pronounced.

I had something similar happen to my T. cristatus but before too much time passed, I cut the eggs open. That's only the beginning though.

Last edited:
I did cut the one that had turned open. The shell was quite easy to open. Inside was a full formed baby that never woke up. Its tounge was projected out of its mouth and stuck to the wall of the egg. The right half of its body seemed to be stuck to the wall of the egg as well. Not really sure what caused this but I'm hoping the other 9 turn out ok. I have pics of the egg before I opened it and of a few of it being opened up that I will post later.

I did cut the one that had turned open. The shell was quite easy to open. Inside was a full formed baby that never woke up. Its tounge was projected out of its mouth and stuck to the wall of the egg. The right half of its body seemed to be stuck to the wall of the egg as well. Not really sure what caused this but I'm hoping the other 9 turn out ok. I have pics of the egg before I opened it and of a few of it being opened up that I will post later.

Sorry to hear you lost one. I had 2 that pipped but the babies never made it out alive. I waited until the 3rd day and it was too late to help them out of the egg. The splits in the egg were next to eachother but did not form an x shaped opening for the neonates to push thier way out of the egg. Next time I see this I am going to cut a larger hole to see if it saves them.

Back
Top Bottom